TWO oil changes in 5,000 miles? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
bmwcali

TWO oil changes in 5,000 miles?

I've got a 2008 KK with only 5,500 miles on it (can you believe it? - bought it in Dec of 2008 and only have 5,500 miles) and just got my first oil change at the Jeep dealership about 2,000 miles ago -- think my Jeep prompted me for it at right about 3,500 miles. Now, it's telling me to contact the dealer because an "Oil change [is] required."

How could that be possible? Just 2,000 miles later and I need another oil change? I admit, I drive my Jeep pretty hard and it sees redline probably a couple times every day I'm driving it, but another oil change after only 2,000 miles?

I'm wondering how the Jeep knows it's due for an oil change. Can it make mistakes? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
bmwcali

Any ideas guys?
post #3 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 AM
08KKJeepGrn
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcali View Post
Any ideas guys?
Ok........ This is what happened!, You went to the dealer to get an oil change before your oil change light came on, The dealer performed the service and noticed that the light was not coming on, so they left it alone!
Second.. Now the light has come on!, (The Jeep is set 1 of 2 ways for that light, Mileage or Time), If you do your own oil changes before the recommened changes, then light doesn't matter to you. Here is how you can reset the light..
Look in the back of your owners manule and look up oil change I forget which page it's on But.... IT EASY! It's something like, you have to turn the key 1st click then press the gas pedal 5 times within 10 seconds and then turn key 2nd click (but don't start the engine)..

I do all my oil changes before that light comes on, then I just reset that light once it comes on.. (Just rememeber to record your mileage, personal preference)

There is nothing wrong with your Jeep, it's just a light!

Hope this helps!

08 Liberty Limited Jeep® Green
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Silver

post #4 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 05:41 AM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

After almost 2 years of ownership you should have changed your oil at least twice due to time.Reaching higher RPM's often also requires more frequent oil changes as it breaks down the oil faster then normal driving.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #5 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 AM
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ Yes, to both of those statements.

Dirty Mudder seat covers/Steering column covers/spare tire covers
Like my Dirty Mudder FB fan page here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
post #6 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Some freaks (like me) have installed hour meters to be able to track oil change intervals better.
Because city stop & go gives you a low mileage, but long engine runtimes.

The same is done in a KK. Tracking your driving habbits and throwing out an oil change recommendation.
VW and Mercedes uses a light reflective method.
It works the same like a rain sensor. Low reflections-dirty oil.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Or you could just look at it every so often.........

Mine
post #8 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
bmwcali

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08KKJeepGrn View Post
Ok........ This is what happened!, You went to the dealer to get an oil change before your oil change light came on, The dealer performed the service and noticed that the light was not coming on, so they left it alone!
Second.. Now the light has come on!, (The Jeep is set 1 of 2 ways for that light, Mileage or Time), If you do your own oil changes before the recommened changes, then light doesn't matter to you. Here is how you can reset the light..
Look in the back of your owners manule and look up oil change I forget which page it's on But.... IT EASY! It's something like, you have to turn the key 1st click then press the gas pedal 5 times within 10 seconds and then turn key 2nd click (but don't start the engine)..

I do all my oil changes before that light comes on, then I just reset that light once it comes on.. (Just rememeber to record your mileage, personal preference)

There is nothing wrong with your Jeep, it's just a light!

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip but this actually isn't the case.

I brought my Jeep in to the dealership 2,000 miles ago BECAUSE it gave me the change oil notification. The dealership changed the oil and cleared the light with only 3,500 miles on the clock. Now 2,000 miles later it's on again telling me to change the oil.

In regards to what tjkj2002 is saying, from Dec 2008 to now is actually only a year and a half, but that could make sense because probably 75% of my driving is city, but even still: an oil change after just 2,000 miles? Do you think the Jeep dealership did something wrong when they changed the oil 6 months ago?

I just don't see how I could need another oil change 2,000 miles and 6 months later.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just don't see how I could need another oil change 2,000 miles and 6 months later.
Usually the recommendation for oil changes is 3 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. Just because you don't put many miles on doesn't mean you don't need to change the oil. Oil degrades just from sitting too. Not as quickly as when it's being circulated, but it still deteriorates. Pull the dipstick and look at your oil. Is it dark and nasty looking, or lighter and clear?

Mine
post #10 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
geene519
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGirl View Post
Usually the recommendation for oil changes is 3 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. Just because you don't put many miles on doesn't mean you don't need to change the oil. Oil degrades just from sitting too. Not as quickly as when it's being circulated, but it still deteriorates. Pull the dipstick and look at your oil. Is it dark and nasty looking, or lighter and clear?

personally i've never used the 3 months or 3k mile rule, its based on oil standards from a long time ago. i change my oil once a year, i use Mobile 1 sythetic which is rated at 1 year of 12k miles. With that being said in the KK manual it states to change the oil by 6 months or 6k miles.

bmwcali - judging by the way you drive then yes that change oil indicator should come up sooner than most. 2k hard driving might aswell be 5k normal driving. Driving it hard like that everyday is not good for it either.

2010 Jeep Liberty Sport - Silver
Hankook Dynapro ATM tires, 14'' LED light bar
post #11 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geene519 View Post
personally i've never used the 3 months or 3k mile rule, its based on oil standards from a long time ago. i change my oil once a year, i use Mobile 1 sythetic which is rated at 1 year of 12k miles. With that being said in the KK manual it states to change the oil by 6 months or 6k miles.

bmwcali - judging by the way you drive then yes that change oil indicator should come up sooner than most. 2k hard driving might aswell be 5k normal driving. Driving it hard like that everyday is not good for it either.
Well, I'm old so that explains that! And synthetic is a whole nuther ballgame...

Mine
post #12 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:

i also run Mobile 1 with a Mobile 1 Filter but for my peace of mind i still change it every 3K Miles. A Small price to pay to help ensure engine health

---------------------------------------------------
2008 KK Liberty
Inferno Red
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
post #13 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

I get to see the long term results of those extended oil changes at work,usually resulting in a $2000+ repair bill.

Get a oil analysis before doing over 5k-6k,even with synthetic as you might be surprised that you can not go even that long.

post #14 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
bmwcali

What a PITA to change oil every 2,000 miles. With my last BMW, BMW recommended changing the oil every 15,000 miles! Why oh why is the 3.7L V6 not only underpowered (0 to 60MPH in an hour and a half), but gets horrible gas milage (I get 12MPG) and requires frequent maintenance. It almost seems like Jeep strived to build an engine with the worst of all worlds. The only thing it has going for it, far as I can tell, is smooth power delivery at low RPMs, which is great for off-roading.

Guess I'm off to change my oil again within the next few hundred miles.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
What a PITA to change oil every 2,000 miles. With my last BMW, BMW recommended changing the oil every 15,000 miles! Why oh why is the 3.7L V6 not only underpowered (0 to 60MPH in an hour and a half), but gets horrible gas milage (I get 12MPG) and requires frequent maintenance. It almost seems like Jeep strived to build an engine with the worst of all worlds. The only thing it has going for it, far as I can tell, is smooth power delivery at low RPMs, which is great for off-roading.

Guess I'm off to change my oil again within the next few hundred miles.
Your BMW will not last as long as a properly maintained Jeep will.BMW has one of the worst reliability records for any auto maker,they don't care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.