Trouble finding good AT tires in DFW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Trouble finding good AT tires in DFW

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Trouble finding good AT tires in DFW

I live in North Dallas, and have searched Discount, Sears, NTB, Firestone, Goodyear, Pep Boys from Dallas to Plano and none have anything but street tires in stock. I was really wanting Cooper AT3s but they are nowhere to be found. Even the Duratracs are special order....Im going to Big Bend in a week and wanted to get new tires before, but looks like Im screwed. I drive mainly steets so I want something more like the AT3s or maybe the Hankook ATMs so I dont kill the drive too much. I would get the Duratracs if I found them, but consider them my last choice as I just dont wheel enough to drive around on those 95% highways.

rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
AtTheHelm

I think all kk owners drive more than 99.9% on highways.

Try discounttiredirect.com they have free shipping and iirc cost less than the store with no sales tax as long as you don't live in the state they ship from.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

I just bought some grabber at2 from tirebuyer.com
VnKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got my tires from tirecrawler.com in two days. CA to AZ
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

So you guys are just buying them and then taking them up to Discount or someplace and paying to have them installed? About how much is it to bring up your own tires and get that done?

Im going to get one of Discounts $65 black steel rims to replace my spare donut as well, then have them put one of my stock tires on that rim when I get the new tires put on.
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
AtTheHelm

I just took mine to walmart. $40 mount and balance. Only catch is they will not install a different size tire that is already installed, they let me use a floor jack and stands and i just pulled two wheels at a time in the parking lot!
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I plan on getting the stock size 225/75/16 so that is not an issue, I did notice that if you get them from Discount online they can include the warranty and all that already, so I would think Discount would install them fairly cheap. Guess I need to swing by and just ask them. I can get a set of Cooper AT3s for $800 shippped, that is with warranties, stems and unfortunatly tax as they are coming from Texas it would seem.
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Step up to the 235 and I think you will find most Discount Tire locations will have at least the Hankook in stock. Keep in mind that the 235 is the OEM tire that comes standard on the Renegade so there is no fitment probelms. I love mine and can't believe the difference in the ride and handling that the tires made.
If you go into Discount Tire don't hesitate to negotiate the price and try to work in the road hazard warranty, you may be surprised at that they will offer for an immedimate purchase.
I am guessing you are going down to Big Bend for Spring Break?
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Ok well I went by Discount after work yesterday and glad I did. They did not have pretty much any tires that were not "street" until 255/ . So I asked about if I bought them online and brought them in and they said we can order the tires and have them shipped to the store for free, he called Cooper tires while I was standing there and they said they had a set ready in Grand Prairie, which is only about an hour away, so they are suppose to be there today. And the cheap rim I wanted was at another store close by so it will be there today as well. So Im getting 4 Cooper AT3s and a 16" rim to replace my donut. They will put on the new tires and put the best stock tire, only has 20k on it for no charge, so the total is $826 for tires, mount/balance, rim and Discounts warranty on the tires. Plus I will have these before I leave for my trip this weekend...

And Yes Im headed to Big Bend for spring break, will have the wife and kids so not sure how much off road I will be doing, but will at least do one day on one of the trails out there
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It always pays to have a good relationship with a local tire guy.

We have a big O shop just down the street that has offroad friendly owners. I always get my tires online and if I take them loose tires and rims they cut me a deal on mount and balancing. Last set of 4 was $20. More than once Ive brought in a single and they've just done it for free.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Well Im happy now, got my new Cooper Discoverer AT3s put on yesterday, man do these look much better than the stock crap tires, put the best take off on the cheap rim and now have a full size spare. Just in time for my trip too, worked out well and I feel much better now.
20130306_154807.jpg   20130306_161617.jpg   20130306_161625.jpg  
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I just ordered Hankook DynaPro ATMs for my wife's KJ. I got them online at Discount Tire Direct for $138 each free shipping no taxes. $6 for mounting and balancing at military auto hobby shop. IMHO I got the best tires at the best price possible! I only ordered 2 but I think she will quickly want two more at this deal. Pics to follow.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Just wanted to give an update on these tires...Went on our trip to Big Bend NP last week and had a blast. Took a few of the 4x4 trails while out there and camped one night out on one of the back country roadside sites. I really like these tires, they really stick like glue over everything I have driven on. It rained the day we left and they rock on the slick highways. Out of all of the trails I noticed only like a dozen vehicles coming or going, I was the smallest SUV out of the bunch. I never even had to use 4wd....I kept hoping something would be just enough to have to kick it on, but every time I just crawled right up/down with out trying. Most of it is just rough rock roads, but now and again you cross the washed out creek bed spots and the Liberty walked right through every one never missing a beat. I cant wait to get this thing into some mud, pretty much my final test on the Coopers.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47 View Post
Just wanted to give an update on these tires...Went on our trip to Big Bend NP last week and had a blast. Took a few of the 4x4 trails while out there and camped one night out on one of the back country roadside sites. I really like these tires, they really stick like glue over everything I have driven on. It rained the day we left and they rock on the slick highways. Out of all of the trails I noticed only like a dozen vehicles coming or going, I was the smallest SUV out of the bunch. I never even had to use 4wd....I kept hoping something would be just enough to have to kick it on, but every time I just crawled right up/down with out trying. Most of it is just rough rock roads, but now and again you cross the washed out creek bed spots and the Liberty walked right through every one never missing a beat. I cant wait to get this thing into some mud, pretty much my final test on the Coopers.
I hope all works out. If the tires are "p" then you have tires not so stiff sidewalls and likely offered road hazard with them. With "lt" tires (light truck) you get stiffer sidewalls and probably no road hazard offered. Little stiffer ride but depends on what you are looking for. Just some tire data to think about when purchasing! Enjoy!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.