Trick to get to oil filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Trick to get to oil filter?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
manny85

Trick to get to oil filter?

Has anyone else changed their own oil on the KK? I've got a 2012 and it's way way up at the front and top of the motor? Is there a easy way to get to it? I pulled off my skid plate and that did not help much. I got it of and put a new one on but there is very little room and you need a super skinny long arm. Any ideas ?

manny85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

VERY LONG extension and an oil filter socket. You can get to it from the front but it's a pita.
The last time I changed my oil, I laid under the front head first and was able to reach over my head.
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

the only way i could get to it was from the front as well. i have a filter wrench and long extension but i dont get how that would help. i just reach my arm straight in through the fan shroud and grab it.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
manny85

Thanks Guys.
manny85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
quadracer512
2009 KK Liberty 

Stupid Dodge! I wasted quite a bit if time trying to size up that oil filter. The only way i could get to it was from the front, only after I drove the front up on ramps. Again, stupid Dodge! So many places around that engine block they could have put it, but nooooo.
quadracer512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Havoc3D
2011 KK Liberty 

Wow...I always did my own oil changes on previous vehicles, but it sounds like on this it might be worth it to buy my own oil and pay the local garage for their $13 oil change. Just give them my bottle of royal purple and a filter and let them have at it....
Havoc3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
quadracer512
2009 KK Liberty 

Just make sure you look to see what filter you do have. I at first had Walmart do my oil change. The next time, i did it. The filter looked suspect as in I'm not sure they changed it, dye to the difficulty.
quadracer512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Just did my this last weekend.

Was not as hard as everyone says to take off I did struggle to put back on but it was getting dark at the time and I was struggling to find the right spot.
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Afoos1
2010 KK Liberty 

When I changed mine I just broke my forearm to give me another elbow. That gave me enough joints to be able to manipulate the filter. Actually I was just able to reach it but not without scrapes on my arms from the air dam. Definitely could have been better designed.
Afoos1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

A while back I inquired about an oil filter relocation kit, but had received some negative feedback about it. I agree the oil filter is definitely not at the best spot. I under if it is an easier or difficult on the new Cherokees and Grand Cherokees?
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afoos1 View Post
When I changed mine I just broke my forearm to give me another elbow. That gave me enough joints to be able to manipulate the filter. Actually I was just able to reach it but not without scrapes on my arms from the air dam. Definitely could have been better designed.
The oil filter has been in the exact same spot on the 3.7 since it 1st came out for the '02 KJ,and the same spot in 4.7 V8's since '99.One of the easier filters to get to them some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
A while back I inquired about an oil filter relocation kit, but had received some negative feedback about it. I agree the oil filter is definitely not at the best spot. I under if it is an easier or difficult on the new Cherokees and Grand Cherokees?
The new 3.6's and 3.2's(assuming since it's a baby 3.6) use a canister filter located on the top of the engine.
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I don't know why there was negative feedback, people have been relocating oil filters for a long time. I looked at doing that but couldn't find a good way to mount the part that replaces the OEM filter, it's really tight right there.
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15
I don't know why there was negative feedback, people have been relocating oil filters for a long time. I looked at doing that but couldn't find a good way to mount the part that replaces the OEM filter, it's really tight right there.
Something about possible leaks between the lines and fasteners and the oil pump not being able to sufficiently pump oil through the motor with the extra line. Not certain how true both of those factors are.
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Something about possible leaks between the lines and fasteners and the oil pump not being able to sufficiently pump oil through the motor with the extra line. Not certain how true both of those factors are.
That is what I was thinking as well. I am definitely going to try and find out. After performing my first oil change that was exactly the first thing that crossed my mind. "Wonder if they make a relocation setup for this". I think it is great that they went the "Mercedes" route on the 3.6 with a cartridge filter. My wife has a R350 and doing an oil change on that is a breeze, even with a lower panel to remove to get to the drain plug. Plus you never have to worry about the filter gasket sticking to the engine. Only thing that sucks there is that little old V6 takes 8 quarts of synthetic oil and a Mercedes oil filter cartridge.. On a good day an oil change on that costs me $80 in parts and fluid.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

IMO, leaks aren't an issue it it's installed properly with quality hoses. The flow issue shouldn't be a problem either if the hoses are large enough to allow unrestricted oil flow. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump, the little bit of increased travel to the filter shouldn't matter just be sure to add the proper amount of oil to fill the filter assembly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.