Transmission Pan Rusted through - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Transmission Pan Rusted through

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
justafam
2008 KK Liberty 

Transmission Pan Rusted through

So I'm in Florida enjoying the nice January sun when I noticed a stain on my Sister-in-law's driveway. Checked under my '08 Liberty and discovered it to be transmission fluid. Luckily local Ford/Jeep dealer was open on Sat, put up on hoist and poked his finger through a rust hole in the trans pan. NOT impressed. I know we live in a harsh environment here in Eastern Canada, however I have never heard of a trans pan rusting through, let alone on a 6 year old vehicle.

Anyone here experience same thing or do you think may be sub par material?

Randy

justafam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I see it a lot and on other vehicles besides Jeeps.Gotta wash the undercarriage often during the winter.
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

I had to have mine swapped out a couple months ago, during a routine oil change it was noticed...mine is also a 2008..rusted right through. I thought it was a bit early, but was only like $50 for OEM one.
jrich58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That's no good. Don't make them like they used to I guess. Does anyone know if transmission pan has been upgraded since 2008 or are we all facing the same problem? I have a 2011. They salt the heck out of the roads around here. I wash it often and will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Geez...plastic radiators...tranny pan rust through...what's up with parts quality anymore?
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper6413 View Post
.what's up with parts quality anymore?
Federal mandated safety items increase vehicle weight and the company's must reduce weight where they can to meet federal mandated MPG standards.
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
justafam
2008 KK Liberty 

Seems its not an isolated case, however that doesn't make me feel better. I usually keep my vehicles upwards of 15 years. My 85 cherokee was still going strong when I was transferred to Europe in 97 and passed it down to my daughter, hope the Liberty makes it at least that long.
justafam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

My 2010 has some pretty bad rust forming on the transmission pan as well. Since I am still under warranty I will see how willing they are to fix it. Should be pretty simple thing to convince them to fix. Sadly it seems it isn't just a 2008 thing... And I do wash under the truck all winter long... The rest of it is all squeaky clean under there.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Radman
2009 KK Liberty 

2009 Transmission Pan Rusted through

Replacing the Transmission Pan on my 2009 KK today. Lost two quarts of oil through a small hole. Went to look and the thing looks terrible. I wash the undercarriage frequently durring the winter, seems like it didn't help. Also, found a power steering fluid leak, too.

Parts quality is not what it used to be.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Radman, do you still have a drivetrain warranty? Rusting through in 6 years for some of us. Just out of warranty, figures. Warranty or not I think I'll paint mine this summer so it doesn't leak out when I'm away from home.
Unread 11-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #11
NYKK

What say the hive about priming and bedlining? Never used bedliner before but assuming no heat related issues to consider it should add some durability and rust protection.

ETA: Dealer stated any rubberized coating will not allow heat to dissipate... So... No go for the tranny pan. Recommends just replacing every few years.

Last edited by NYKK; 11-20-2014 at 09:43 AM..
NYKK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You all need to take a course in proper vehicle care,work in a bodyshop for a few years and you get super paranoid about keeping a clean vehicle.

My Jeep is almost 13 years old and my trans pan looks just like it did when it rolled off the transport truck(I know I drove it off and did the dealer prep).Yes it has been in places most of it's life that use salt or sodium chloride(aka salt) solution and not 1 tiny hint of any corrosion.You could eat off my under carriage,it's that clean.I wash it every sunday regardless of weather and not those auto washes either since that 10 second under carriage spray that some have doesn't do anything.I spend $15 and $10 of that is spend alone on just the under carriage.
Unread 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You all need to take a course in proper vehicle care,work in a bodyshop for a few years and you get super paranoid about keeping a clean vehicle.

My Jeep is almost 13 years old and my trans pan looks just like it did when it rolled off the transport truck(I know I drove it off and did the dealer prep).Yes it has been in places most of it's life that use salt or sodium chloride(aka salt) solution and not 1 tiny hint of any corrosion.You could eat off my under carriage,it's that clean.I wash it every sunday regardless of weather and not those auto washes either since that 10 second under carriage spray that some have doesn't do anything.I spend $15 and $10 of that is spend alone on just the under carriage.
I'm sorry but I do have to take up that... In all my years of driving and owning cars... this is the first vehicle I have had where I have seen it do this... My car ownership goes all the way back into the 80's... I have always cared for my vehicles the same way... always lived in a "rust' climate. Heck.. my Dad's 1978 Chevy truck rotted so bad the door skins were peeling off and neither pan started to rot through.

I will be replacing mine when it gets serviced since my dealer gave me "it's only surface rust" BS...

2010 Jeep Liberty Limited
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I worked in a Ford dealership doing all transmission rebuilds back in the late 70s. I saw rusted out trans pans then as well when people didn't take care of theirs so its not a new thing on Jeeps or any other brand.
Mine with 210,000 miles whole life in Ohio doesn't have any rust at all
of course although not the same as Troy but "at least" 2 times a month it gets a complete undercarriage bath.
Unread 11-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Are you guys with the squeaky clean under carriages pressure washing or just running it through the automatic wash during the winter. I live in a town with around 15-20 thousand people and there's nowhere in town to pressure wash the undercarriage, which is ridiculous. Resorted to using the automatic washes which are useless in my opinion. During the summer I can scrub it top to bottom in the driveway. Need some ideas for getting the road salt off in the winter without access to a pressure washer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.