JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Transmission overheating (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/transmission-overheating-1572000/)

BigAlbert 09-05-2013 10:44 PM

Transmission overheating
 
New guy here need some Help
Got a 2012 Jeep Liberty Limited took a trip from Colorado to Clovis CA
Going thrue the mountains passes towing a trailer with maybe total Weigth
Of 4000 Pounds the T over heating Ligth will come on
Do I need to add Trany Cooler will this help
Or what do I need to do. I purchase this jeep for this purpose
Any help will be Apreciated

MtBJet 09-05-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAlbert
New guy here need some Help
Got a 2012 Jeep Liberty Limited took a trip from Colorado to Clovis CA
Going thrue the mountains passes towing a trailer with maybe total Weigth
Of 4000 Pounds the T over heating Ligth will come on
Do I need to add Trany Cooler will this help
Or what do I need to do. I purchase this jeep for this purpose
Any help will be Apreciated

Without the tow package and with that much weight through the mountains, that would be expected. If you don't have the tow package, installing the mechanical fan from the tow package will help... I actually just got mine shipped to me today for the same purpose. If that's not enough, the next step would be a dedicated transmission cooler.

lfhoward 09-06-2013 06:59 AM

I added the mechanical fan and it makes a big difference. Here is the writeup on LOST if you would like to do the same: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=76451

MtBJet 09-06-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfhoward
I added the mechanical fan and it makes a big difference. Here is the writeup on LOST if you would like to do the same: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=76451

If you read the write up, make sure to shop around for the parts. You can find better prices out there. For the bolts, just go to an automotive store (or even Home Depot) and buy four 5/16-18x1/2 (coarse) zinc plated flange bolts.

Drednot 09-06-2013 01:06 PM

Yeah, check to see if you have the mechanical fan. For more cooling capacity, there is a finned aluminum trans pan available also.

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11044.php

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/4853/9wh7.jpg

JeepGeezer 09-06-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAlbert (Post 15877539)
New guy here need some Help
Got a 2012 Jeep Liberty Limited took a trip from Colorado to Clovis CA
Going thrue the mountains passes towing a trailer with maybe total Weigth
Of 4000 Pounds the T over heating Ligth will come on
Do I need to add Trany Cooler will this help
Or what do I need to do. I purchase this jeep for this purpose
Any help will be Apreciated

Just curious---when you towed over the mountain passes, did you use the "Tow/Haul" button that holds tranny in third gear?

Even though I now won't be using it for such, I purposely got the Tow Package on my new KK earlier this year because of the extra cooling, etc. equipment included.

JeepGeezer 09-06-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drednot (Post 15879460)
Yeah, check to see if you have the mechanical fan. For more cooling capacity, there is a finned aluminum trans pan available also.

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11044.php

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/4853/9wh7.jpg

Finned aluminum pan looks like great idea. Does it offer also more fluid capacity, or is alumi9num housing all-over thicker with same fluid capacity, or is it optical illusion, or?

Any issue with insufficient or reduced skid plate or ground clearance?

MtBJet 09-06-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drednot
Yeah, check to see if you have the mechanical fan.

Just got done installing the mechanical fan. The factory instructions aren't quite right. It's pretty straight forward.

This was on a 2012.

1. You DO NOT need to empty any coolant.
2. Remove the air box, top and bottom.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Undo the bolt holding the horn.
5. Remove the small coolant line from the top passenger side of the reservoir.
6. You'll now have access to all the Allen screws holding the reservoirs on. Undo all of these.
7. You can now swing the entire reservoir system back and towards the driver side.
8. Remove the two screws holding the fan shroud on.
9. Unplug the fan assembly (this is a pain).
10. On the lower driver side of the shroud there are two pipes held on by a clip. This clip is screwed on. Unscrew it but leave the clip there.
11. Fan assembly/shroud can now be pulled out.
12. Remove plastic cover from pulley threads.
13. Screw on fan/clutch assembly... I used red locktite as well.
14. Tighten the assembly.
15. Follow from step 11 backwards.

lfhoward 09-06-2013 07:34 PM

Great! I wondered if it was possible without draining the coolant. Would you mind posting what you posted here over on LOST on my how-to thread? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=76451
Thanks! --Lauren

MtBJet 09-06-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfhoward
Great! I wondered if it was possible without draining the coolant. Would you mind posting what you posted here over on LOST on my how-to thread? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=76451
Thanks! --Lauren

Done.

lfhoward 09-06-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBJet (Post 15878538)
If you read the write up, make sure to shop around for the parts. You can find better prices out there. For the bolts, just go to an automotive store (or even Home Depot) and buy four 5/16-18x1/2 (coarse) zinc plated flange bolts.

Good point about shopping around. And thanks for posting your improved installation instructions on LOST too. :cheers2:

BigAlbert 09-25-2013 10:37 PM

Thanks guys for all the helpI think I understand what I have to do a Litle better now. but I am not considered myself capable of doing this. can the dealer or who will be better to do this job.


The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.