Transmission Over Temperature - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Transmission Over Temperature

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 09-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
cablito

Transmission Over Temperature

I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport 3.7 2008, with 50.000 Km on it.

I have driven about 3.000 Km since I bought it mostly on roads leading to mountain cities.

When I am driving even if its a steep climb during a 20km road uphill high speed lane, not a problem.

If I drive 200Km on flat roads, in the speed limit which is 120 Km/h, also no problem.

Now if I go on trails, and its steep after sometime, probably 30 minutes, I get a transmission over temperature warning. If I turn off the car and on again, it instantly goes away. I usually pull over to the side of the trail and with the engine running let it cool down a bit before turning the car off.

The mechanic has "passed" the scanner and said he found nothing.

I've read somewhere in the forums there seems to be a bug on this sensor, is that true?

If anyone has experience with this, I thank in advance for the feedback.

cablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Here is a thread that may help. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...ating-1572000/ You may also want to check that your radiator is free from obstructions, like mud, grass seeds, insects, etc.
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
cablito

Thanks for your response.

So it seems to be in line with what I've read everywhere; the gearbox does get hot when put under stress, to the point where there is a specific kit to deal with that.

Radiator is perfectly clean outside and inside I assume, due to the color of the fluid.

What intrigues me is that the kind of trail I am going to are really moderate so far, nothing a regular car would not handle on a dry day.

It has 50.000 km on it, and transmission oil change on manual 60.000, so I am planing on doing it now just to be sure. One never knows how much the last owner pushed it or if he hasn't ignored the warning and kept pushing it "frying" the oil, but the car show no signs of being abused.

I am going to do the same trail this weekend after the oil change, so I will have good comparison for before and after the change.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

There are couple of other things to do if the issue continues. Keep the tow haul switch on so it stays out of overdrive, you can purchase and install and transmission cooler same as they use on Liberty's that have the tow package and a mechanical fan and clutch assembly also part of the liberty tow package, it help keep things cooler under the hood. When you change your trans fluid make sure you use ATF plus 4.

Good Luck
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
There are couple of other things to do if the issue continues. Keep the tow haul switch on so it stays out of overdrive, you can purchase and install and transmission cooler same as they use on Liberty's that have the tow package and a mechanical fan and clutch assembly also part of the liberty tow package, it help keep things cooler under the hood. When you change your trans fluid make sure you use ATF plus 4.

Good Luck
I think he said he has a manual
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
I think he said he has a manual
Can't get a trans overtemp warning with a manual trans.

keep it out of overdrive when towing otherwise you just fry the auto trans.
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

Can't get a trans overtemp warning with a manual trans.

keep it out of overdrive when towing otherwise you just fry the auto trans.
Oh, service manual duh, didn't catch that
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
cablito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post

Good Luck
I am in Brazil, so getting the cooler "tow package" is about the last option I have.

As for the fluid, the shop that will do the job only deals with Chrysler Dodge and Jeeps and I am sure he will use the right one, I recall reading an article by one of the guys that works there talking about the importance of using the right specs.

Now about the tow switch, is it better then to have it on when climbing hard (yet not hard enough to require 4Low)?

Thanks.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablito

I am in Brazil, so getting the cooler "tow package" is about the last option I have.

As for the fluid, the shop that will do the job only deals with Chrysler Dodge and Jeeps and I am sure he will use the right one, I recall reading an article by one of the guys that works there talking about the importance of using the right specs.

Now about the tow switch, is it better then to have it on when climbing hard (yet not hard enough to require 4Low)?

Thanks.
If you have oversize tires, it'll cause problems like that until the gears are changed. I had the same issue but I only had the over temp light once. Towing was a different issue, nothing but problems.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.