Transmission Dipstick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Transmission Dipstick

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

Transmission Dipstick

Just bought a 2009 KK with 66k miles. The manual states that the drivetrain warranty only applies to the original owner.

In going over the vehicle to do maintenance, I would like to change the transmission fluid. Are there any consequences to breaking the seal on the dipstick tube? I'm thinkin of adding a dipstick from a 2007 since they both have the 42RLE. Will this work?

mblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You need the Miller special tools universal dipstick,graph of fluid level vs temp,and a scanner that reads the trans temp to properly check your level.Adding a older dipstick will not read accurate as they changed the fluid level specs.

Oh and a '07 KJ does not have a trans dipstick either.
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

Still have dipstick questions?

Thanks for the response. You have told me what I can't do. Now tell me what I can do. My question about the dipstick tube seal is still unanswered. I have seen several posts here about using a Ram dipstick or a generic minivan dipstick and cutting it to length (33 5/8th) and scribing marks based on a series of cold and hot checks. I realize the factory marks will be off because of dipstick tube length in different applications. Re-asking my question about a 42 RLE dipstick from (this time) an earlier 42RLE. And finally on the transmission heat chart/miller tool method, the measurement is listed on the graph in mm. My question is mm from where? The bottom of the pan? or from somewhere else on the transmission or dipstick? I am asking for information because I know less than you about the KK. However I have been around a long time and checked a lot of auto transmissions in my time. It's hard to believe that the only way to check is an OBD reader, a chart, and an expensive aftermarket tool. If this is really the case please explain why.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblackwell View Post
Thanks for the response. You have told me what I can't do. Now tell me what I can do. My question about the dipstick tube seal is still unanswered. I have seen several posts here about using a Ram dipstick or a generic minivan dipstick and cutting it to length (33 5/8th) and scribing marks based on a series of cold and hot checks. I realize the factory marks will be off because of dipstick tube length in different applications. Re-asking my question about a 42 RLE dipstick from (this time) an earlier 42RLE. And finally on the transmission heat chart/miller tool method, the measurement is listed on the graph in mm. My question is mm from where? The bottom of the pan? or from somewhere else on the transmission or dipstick? I am asking for information because I know less than you about the KK. However I have been around a long time and checked a lot of auto transmissions in my time. It's hard to believe that the only way to check is an OBD reader, a chart, and an expensive aftermarket tool. If this is really the case please explain why.
It's measure in mm from the bottom of the pan.

They deleted the dipsticks in most vehicles(Chrysler) since they kept having owners overfill/underfill and add the incorrect ATF and had alot of fried trans.Simple fix was to make checking the level so hard they had to take it to the dealership,which they will check for free.May seem like a pain in the rear to you but reduced trans failures by alot.They made some customers mad so many could be happy with long lasting trans since the correct fluid would be used.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
DanFxr
2010 KK Liberty 

Dipstick tool

2010 Liberty my jeep did not have any seal,just a plastic cap on the tube which is removed with a half turn.
I bought the Miller Tool. Comes with Chart.
With my jeep at room temp I measured the volume and note the air temp.
After the jeep has been driven and is at operating temp I check the volume again, and note level.
I know this is not the "accurate scan tool temp inspection" however as long as future levels and temps (air) stay in range I believe it is close .
DanFxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

dipstick

Thanks

Mine looks like a cap. I haven't tried to remove it yet. My interpretation of the warranty is - I have no warranty- on a used vehicle so I'm not losing anything by opening it. Any thoughts otherwise?

A check or series of level checks both hot and cold over several days was sort of what I had planned as benchmark. I am assuming the level is good now since the vehicle drives/shifts normally. I will also try to catch and measure how much fluid comes out at the change and add the same amount when it's buttoned up again.
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

assume.....
always a bad way to start
also almost next to impossible to drain and measure and get the right amount
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

I knew that word would be a problem. So tell me what to do. After all I asked because I really don't know. When you don't know you have to start somewhere. In order to solve a problem it is neccessary to make an assumption or hypothesis and test it. If I make a rash assumption and toast my transmission Then I'm a dummy. Here is my plan. I have ordered a test dipstick. I am going to to check the system hot and cold for at leaset a week and see if there is any consistency. I am also going to try to use my obdII reader to find out what the fluid temperature is. failing that I have a laser thermometer. Then I am going to see if I actually determine what the depth of the fluid is in the plan. Then I will compare what I have learned. At that point I will modify my assumptions and test them agin until I am confident I can do this. If assuming means just taking a WAG and letting the chips fall, then it is a bad idea. If assuming means carefully testing a hypothesis then it seems the right path. Unless someone wiser on this forum will just tell me how to do it without tryin to rank me out. Thanks Dan and tjkj for the info. That is sensible and helpful. If I decide this is too much I will take it to the dealer for a check. Having owned a KJ Crd for 7 years I don't have a lot of confidence in the Chrysler service guys.
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

Here is how I solved the problem; read it all carefully:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...stick-1095481/

Good luck,
mjcougler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

gathering info

Did my first measurement with the dipstick tool. I got right at 4,5cm with warm engine after a 30 min commute, Length to the bottom of the pan from top of the DS tube as near as I could get was 32 & 3/4" Maybe 32 & 13/16". Hard to tell for sure. I marked the top with a paint pen ( the tool is way longer) so I could sort of boink it off the bottom. Will do a cool read tonight.

By the way I towed an empty Harbor freight 4x 8 trailer 130 miles this weekend. Only used the towhaul on long hills. I hauled 1000lbs of pea gravel about 10 milles with towhaul on. Still got 17.8 mph with that tank. I miss the button on the shifter as on the 05.
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcougler View Post
Here is how I solved the problem; read it all carefully:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...stick-1095481/

Good luck,
I just noticed this. The chart I got with my dipstick is not the same as the one in the thread. According to my chart the correct level for a trans at 180 is 4.5 cm, the chart in the thread shows 0ver 6cm at the same temp. Am I low?

Oh the length from the dipstick cap's sealing surface (if using an 06 dipstick) should be 78.43 cm to the Hot mark, if I have the right numbers. Can anyone using an 06 DS measure thier's?
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

Oops. I meant to say 78.7 cm from end of tube to hot mark for the 4.5 cm @ 180 chart or 76.2cm to the hot mark if the 7 cm @ 180 chart is the right one. I suspect I might have the chart to a different Chrysler trans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.