Trans fluid same level at diff temps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Trans fluid same level at diff temps?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 07-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Trans fluid same level at diff temps?

I've been checking and making notes of my transmission fluid level in preparation for the oil and filter change at 70k miles on my 2012 KK. I do a lot of towing so I would like to do the change at this time.

I am using the oil dipstick and making marks on it with a knife, and using my laser thermometer to check the end of the dipstick immediately after pulling it out.

Checking the oil level after letting the car sit overnight and starting the engine for the firs time, running through gears, and then putting it in neutral on a flat surface gave me a dipstick reading of around 12mm of fluid at just over ambient temp which was about 85-88 degrees.

After driving for 20 minutes at 70mph on the highway and then sitting in a parking lot on a flat surface, I measured it again and it was now 26mm of fluid at 110-112 degrees.

One thing I noticed is that each time I lasered the end of the dipstick fresh from the bottom of the trans pan it would always read 110-114 when heated up. But when I put the laser thermometer on the outside of the trans pan it said 165-180 degrees! I'm not sure how there can be a huge temperature swing like that between the fluid and the pan? All I can think of is that the pan is acting as a heatsink and shedding heat through the outside while my tow package trans cooler is keeping the fluid inside cool and cycling it....

According to the trans level chart my oil is supposed to be an average of 10-12mm higher than it's currently reading. Did I really lose that much oil?

When I do the trans service- should I just replace what I measure that comes out of it or should I add more in case some evaporated over the last few years?

I've been reading about the 42RLE and it seems it likes a slight overfill sometimes...?

Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The fluid in the pan will always be cooler then the fluid in the trans is.The pan will always read higher also since it's dissipating the heat from the trans case.

You need to really read the trans temp via a good scanner that has Chrysler's trans PID(very few and high $$$$).
Unread 07-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The fluid in the pan will always be cooler then the fluid in the trans is.The pan will always read higher also since it's dissipating the heat from the trans case.

You need to really read the trans temp via a good scanner that has Chrysler's trans PID(very few and high $$$$).
Well that's not happening lol

All of my expiraments point to my trans fluid being very low. So either way...

As long as I measure what I remove during the filter change, re-add that, plus about 1/2-1QT I should be good to go.

I will also obviously do measurements like I have been doing now and add fluid if needed.

Even without the official temp gauge; I know that when I start my car in the morning after sitting overnight and letting the car warm up for 2-3 minutes...the fluid is no more than 90 degrees at that point. And if I'm 10mm low already with that KNOWN temp...I need a fill ASAP.
Unread 07-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

if I'm understanding what you wrote - no matter when you check the level, it's low.

maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd drive around with low trans fluid.
avatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyvac View Post
Well that's not happening lol

All of my expiraments point to my trans fluid being very low. So either way...

As long as I measure what I remove during the filter change, re-add that, plus about 1/2-1QT I should be good to go.

I will also obviously do measurements like I have been doing now and add fluid if needed.

Even without the official temp gauge; I know that when I start my car in the morning after sitting overnight and letting the car warm up for 2-3 minutes...the fluid is no more than 90 degrees at that point. And if I'm 10mm low already with that KNOWN temp...I need a fill ASAP.
Only way it can be low is if you have a leak,ATF does not just disappear. and if it's 12mm "low" that is enough to effect trans operation.

Use the correct tools or you will get false readings.Those charts your reading off it based on the trans temp sensor reading which your not taking into account thus throwing off your readings.
Unread 07-31-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Only way it can be low is if you have a leak,ATF does not just disappear. and if it's 12mm "low" that is enough to effect trans operation.

Use the correct tools or you will get false readings.Those charts your reading off it based on the trans temp sensor reading which your not taking into account thus throwing off your readings.
Good point.

There is no transmission leak on the vehicle. If you're saying ATF doesn't evap like coolant would - then my readings are 'correct' rather than 'low' and I'm just reading it at an odd temp.

My trans is working fine right now. No odd sounds or anything and operation is normal.

I'm going to measure what was removed during the filter change and replace only that amount back in plus maybe a .5 qt more. That should be just fine.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.