Tranny leaking? (automatic; 3.7L) - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Tranny leaking? (automatic; 3.7L)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Oban
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Tranny leaking? (automatic; 3.7L)

Hi y'all,

As some of you may have seen, I have another thread open to verify some part numbers for the KK towing package. Well, I am getting ready to haul a trailer from GA to IL in a month and want to make sure the KK is in shape. I just did general maintenance (brakes, plugs, filters, oil, etc).

While doing that I notice some purple fluid on the floor of my garage (couple drops, maybe 3). I searched the underside of the car and found that the tranny pan was pretty oily. I also notice a drop hanging off of the side of the pan. Surely looks like it is leaking.

The danger is: I have no clue for how long it has been like this. I did not notice anything on the floor prior. I also have not noticed any tranny issues or the like. Sometimes a hard downshift uphill, but that is not new to KK's in general.

Now, with that said, I obviously don't want to drive to IL with a trailer and potentially kill my tranny. I did some research and have a couple questions that y'all are hopefully able to help me with:

1.) I understand that the KK has no tranny dipstick anymore. Thus, replacing the pan gasket, filter and refilling the tranny is almost impossible at home as due stick is missing as well as a computer is needed to monitor temperature?

2.) I bought my KK last March (2013). It is a 2012 model. Factory certified pre owned and has the 100k miles warranty. I usually have the "harder" maintenances jobs done by my local mechanic which I trust and not at the stealership, but in this case I figured it would be a warranty job? Any ideas?

3.) Do you guys have any other suggestions how I should approach this matter? The tranny has not been touched by me or any mechanic as I understand the fluid is a "lifetime" fluid. So to me this is clearly a warranty issue / defective seal.

Another idea I had was that I could torque down the pan bolts? I have a torque wrench and all, but I am not sure as to whether this would be actually a fix or just temporary? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the help I can get on this.

-Oban

__________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK, 4x4, Mopar Hitch, Hood Lift Strut Mod, OME Lift, Bilstein Shocks
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
RENE65
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LAVAL, QUEBEC
Posts: 213
Any leaks coming from higher up will likely end up around the pan.Make sure to inspect higher up for any oily signs, if any clean them with brake cleaner and road test and recheck to see where the leak originates from.Its not because the pan is oily that its the leak.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Oban
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
Any leaks coming from higher up will likely end up around the pan.Make sure to inspect higher up for any oily signs, if any clean them with brake cleaner and road test and recheck to see where the leak originates from.Its not because the pan is oily that its the leak.
That is a good suggestion. I will do that. In any case, should this be covered under the certified pre-owned warranty? I know the engine, trans case, tranny and all 4x4 components should be covered.
__________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK, 4x4, Mopar Hitch, Hood Lift Strut Mod, OME Lift, Bilstein Shocks
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson, New Jersey
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oban
Hi y'all, As some of you may have seen, I have another thread open to verify some part numbers for the KK towing package. Well, I am getting ready to haul a trailer from GA to IL in a month and want to make sure the KK is in shape. I just did general maintenance (brakes, plugs, filters, oil, etc). While doing that I notice some purple fluid on the floor of my garage (couple drops, maybe 3). I searched the underside of the car and found that the tranny pan was pretty oily. I also notice a drop hanging off of the side of the pan. Surely looks like it is leaking. The danger is: I have no clue for how long it has been like this. I did not notice anything on the floor prior. I also have not noticed any tranny issues or the like. Sometimes a hard downshift uphill, but that is not new to KK's in general. Now, with that said, I obviously don't want to drive to IL with a trailer and potentially kill my tranny. I did some research and have a couple questions that y'all are hopefully able to help me with: 1.) I understand that the KK has no tranny dipstick anymore. Thus, replacing the pan gasket, filter and refilling the tranny is almost impossible at home as due stick is missing as well as a computer is needed to monitor temperature? 2.) I bought my KK last March (2013). It is a 2012 model. Factory certified pre owned and has the 100k miles warranty. I usually have the "harder" maintenances jobs done by my local mechanic which I trust and not at the stealership, but in this case I figured it would be a warranty job? Any ideas? 3.) Do you guys have any other suggestions how I should approach this matter? The tranny has not been touched by me or any mechanic as I understand the fluid is a "lifetime" fluid. So to me this is clearly a warranty issue / defective seal. Another idea I had was that I could torque down the pan bolts? I have a torque wrench and all, but I am not sure as to whether this would be actually a fix or just temporary? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the help I can get on this. -Oban
If you want to be safe than sorry I would say take it to the dealership let them check fluids and follow their recommendation. If any thing happens it falls on their hands and still covered under the warranty.

I towed some stuff recently, i had installed the Mopar hitch and had the dealership install the wiring and the flash. Only thing I want to do next is add the mechanical fan and a supplemental tyranny cooler,.
__________________
When you get knee-deep in a situation, floor it.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Oban
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
If you want to be safe than sorry I would say take it to the dealership let them check fluids and follow their recommendation. If any thing happens it falls on their hands and still covered under the warranty.

I towed some stuff recently, i had installed the Mopar hitch and had the dealership install the wiring and the flash. Only thing I want to do next is add the mechanical fan and a supplemental tyranny cooler,.
But irrespective of me wanting to tow anything, shouldn't the dealer take a look at the tranny, see some fluid and be obligated to correct whatever and wherever it is leaking from? I mean it is after all not suppose to leak... right?

Now, regarding the towing, you mention something interesting... something about a flash? I thought I buy the receiver and the harness and I am good?
__________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK, 4x4, Mopar Hitch, Hood Lift Strut Mod, OME Lift, Bilstein Shocks
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Oban
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
So, quick update:

The KK is currently at the dealership. Leak was identified as the seal on the tranny side of the drive output shaft which comes from the transfer case. Small leak, but still. So the dealership is now dropping the transfer case and changing the seal.

I assume as part of the process they will hopefully also change the tranny fluid / filter / pan gasket? I guess my receipt will tell...
__________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK, 4x4, Mopar Hitch, Hood Lift Strut Mod, OME Lift, Bilstein Shocks
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
lazybonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
I had the same problem with my 2012 liberty. The dealer replaced both seals on the shaft. There is no gasket on the pan, only sealant.
lazybonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Oban
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybonz View Post
I had the same problem with my 2012 liberty. The dealer replaced both seals on the shaft. There is no gasket on the pan, only sealant.
Seems to be a quality control deficiency in the 2012 model year?
__________________
2012 Jeep Liberty KK, 4x4, Mopar Hitch, Hood Lift Strut Mod, OME Lift, Bilstein Shocks
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.