Traction Control Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Traction Control Issue

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

Traction Control Issue

Hey everyone...I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited. Two times now the traction control light has come on when I start the car and I never hit the button. The first time it did it, it was about 10-15 degrees outside so I thought maybe it was just so cold out something froze. I drove the jeep around for awhile running errands, started it up about an hour later and the light was off. But this second time it was 42 degrees and rainy. It did the same thing, the light came on when I started the Jeep and never went off on my drive. Anyone else have this issue or know why it might be happening? Thanks!

slipperybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i had similar issues with the airbag system, light was intermittent but eventually it became constantly on.
dealership changed whole wiring harness along with bunch of sensors.
in your case its prolly similar issue, either bad harness or a bad sensor. just bring it in.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

Looking at it some more, it is the Electronic Stability Program/Traction Control System light that is in the middle by the seat belt indicator. So my traction control is turned off consistently. It is my understanding that this light usually only comes on when the tires are spinning. It is on constantly. I drove it this morning, it was still on. Then drove it an hour later and it was off when I started the Jeep, but came on half way through my drive when I was sitting at a red light.
imag0096.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
allskiing

Play with the switch that controls TCS....Although it looks like you should take it to the dealer.
allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

when tires are spinning the light flashes. it should come on when you turn the key for a short period of time and then disappear. if it stays on go to the dealer and have then read the code.
even if the light turns off, still go the dealer, the code is saved in the memory there. this system malfunction is not life threatening, but it provides an extra safety feature
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i dont think switch controls it. i think this light only comes on constantly when you are in 4lo. but i might b wrong
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

Yeah the switch doesn't control it. It should only come on when the tires are spinning but it stays on consistently and I do not have any traction control on the physical vehicle. I kind of figured I would have to take it to the dealership, I just didnt want to because it is 45 mins away.
Unread 02-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
allskiing

The switch turns it off and on...I always turn it off while on the trail or snow...I hate how it kills engine power and would much rather spin the tires.... gives me more control. Anyway, sounds like a dealership issue.
allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
redmario
2010 KK Liberty 

me too: I always turn ESP/TCS off while I'm on the trail or snow to avoid that it kills engine power.

When you turn ESP/TCS off the light is on, when ESP/TCS activates itself cause the tires are spinning the light flashes.

So, if you didn't turn off the ESP/TCS and the light is on, maybe it's depends by tire sensors: have you check if one or more sensors are dirty?
redmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
lakespeedy
2014 JK Wrangler 

I recently had an issue where my "Serv 4WD" dash light was coming on. They eventully identified a faulty motor in the transfer case AND they are going to replace the traction control module. They've been waiting on that to come in for about 2 weeks now. Sounds like it may be common issue by now?

Like others, I also turn off my traction control when driving in slippery conditions but have had the problem where the traction control still intermittently kicks in even though it should be disabled. I really hope this is fixed with the new module and not some stupid fail-safe to protect us from ourselves 'cuz that will annoy the crap out of me.
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

you cannot fully disengage the traction control, it consists of multiple different systems, and only some of them do shut down when you press the button. in order to turn all of them off you either do a secret sequence that was posted somewhere here on the forums (i personally didnt try it) or you put your car into 4lo (which you can only do in very specific offroad cases) so you are correct on that one, it is indeed a "stupid fail-safe"but then again, it makes me feel better when i know its there when some1 else but me drives the jeep
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
lakespeedy
2014 JK Wrangler 

So does your JK have basically the same traction control too or did they spare it on that model?
Unread 03-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

its manual so it doesnt have it. not sure about the ones with the auto.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
redmario
2010 KK Liberty 

When you turn ESP/TCS off by turn "ESP OFF" switch you don't disable the feature of the TCS system that controls the wheel spin across a driven axle: if one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature, infact, remains active even if TCS and ESP are in the “Partial Off” mode or the “Full Off” mode.

KK doesn't have limited slip differentials, so this feature is necessary to overcome obstacles when one, two or three wheels slip (ex. in twist).
redmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

yeah that one is always on, its called brake lock differential
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.