traction control/ 4wd light and 4wd service light - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > traction control/ 4wd light and 4wd service light

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Edwardkain
2008 KK Liberty 

Hey Pals' there is nothing random with jeeps, the matter of these lights is the car alignment if you have any problem with the car alignment these functions will be turned off not as alight only but as a functions also for your safety, because if you have a problem with the car alignment and these functions still on you will risk turning the car over, ABS is working together with the ESP by applying break only on one side or one tire to keep the car balanced and this balance is located at 0 degree on the steering wheel sensor.

Now the problems that could cause this is:

1- problem with the car alignment. (Computer check needed to make sure every thing is tighten well and the steering wheel sensor is at 0 degree
2- bad rod tie ends. (they can cause a problem with the car alignment if their ball joints are very bad need to be examined and replaced if needed)
3- the steering wheel assembly is loose. ( some times due to the steering and climbing the steering wheel assembly will get loose there is two screws that holds this assembly near the bottom of the radiator)
4- problem with front driver side or passenger side axel. ( the assembly will be broken from the inside and you can't see it unless you open the rubber cover up on it)
5- bad ball joints in both front upper and lower control arms ( they have a great cause for the irregular alignment the happen only when you steer, that's why some times in this case once you restart the car every thing will be normal again)
6- stabilizer bar bushings ( check these also but the have the less expectation among the other causes)

and for the dude who says that the break light is on even when he release the side break ( this means that your break fluid is less than the regulations check the break fluid level and make sure it is on the proper level, do not add any fluid more unless you are sure that your break pads are in a great condition, because this is a simple alarm system for your break pads level when they get smaller and smaller the cylinder will push further and the fluid level will go down to notify you that your break pads need to be replaced, so you need either to put more break fluid or replace the pads)

Edward Kain

Edwardkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
namegoeshere
2012 KK Liberty 

Same thing happened to mine... dealer replaced the transfer case motor and switch position sensor, warranty stuff luckily, no issues since.
namegoeshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for all the info everyone. Just yesterday I drove about 900 miles and about 3/4 through my trip I had the traction control and serv 4wd lights going on and off periodically throughout the drive. It was all highway, I didn't notice any unusual or adverse performance from the KK, only problem I had was that I could not get the 4lock to engage when I tried it out. After turning it off and letting it rest for 15 minutes I started it up, lights all were gone, 4wd engaged and haven't had any issues since. Will probably still take it in to see what the dealership says but I can only assume they'll try charging me a pretty penny for something that may not even be an issue so I'm kinda stuck there.
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
bigbentx

My '12 KK is back in the shop for the fourth time after having this issue. Starting to lose my patients with all of it. Hopefully they'll get it right this time.
bigbentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #20
jc_cshmny
2011 KK Liberty 

Found your thread through a search and wanted to share my issues with the ESC and 4WD.

I was driving home from vacation when the ESPOFF warnings started going off. It was intermittent and the warnings went on and off for the last 3 hours of the trip (all highway). I called the dealer to make an appointment earlier in the week and is scheduled for tomorrow. After doing that, I decided to crawl under and check the transfer case shift motor connection - all looked good. I also checked the wiring in the console to make sure the selector knob was making a good connection - all good. Started the Jeep and voila, no ESPOFF warnings and no other lights on the dash. I started to drive and went into 4HI to test it out - all good. Also went into 4LO for a test and ran into problems. It drove and shifted fine, but I could not get the transfer case to shift back into 4HI or 2HI for 30+ minutes. I tried it with the Jeep rolling in N, stopped in N, and foot on brake in N. When I would attempt to shift back into 4HI, it sounded like it was trying, but just wouldn't go. Finally I got it back in 4HI then into 2HI and parked it. Throughout the process, I have never seen the service 4WD light or the check engine light come on.

Does anyone have any clue what this could be? My only guess is that a sensor or the transfer case shift motor (or its connections) have gone bad. Also, where is the final drive control located on the Jeep?

It has 45k on it, so there is going to be a diagnose fee and the only parts covered under the powertrain warranty are "internally lubricated parts." Sounds like I will be responsible for anything electronic.
jc_cshmny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
mswebb

I have been having intermittent issues with ESC OFF light on with and without all the various 4WD lights on. Have never seen check engine or 4WD service lights. Can't change 4WD position while the lights are on as the t-case doesn't really know where it is currently set.

Canadian dealer was finally able to diagnose transfer case motor sensor. $1000 repair fortunately still under warranty. Hoping this fixes the issue as I have to register this US vehicle in Canada and will loose remaining warranty. There's something to be said for non-computerized transfer case controls (mechanical shift lever).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
mswebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
bigbentx

Latest "fix" from the dealer on its fourth trip in, replaced the transfer case actuator after they diagnosed a faulty transfer case motor. I'm sure it's gonna end up in the shop again but I figured I'd update y'all on my experiences.
bigbentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

having the same issues with my 2011 KK. the dealer already replaced the transfer case shift motor under warranty. But that didn't fix it. So now they are telling me it's the T case switch which insn't under warranty.
Here's a pic of the dash all lit up plus the N on the switch is lit as well.
dash-2.jpg

1997 ZJ
PA Jeeps member
scottsjeeprolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
54lariat
2009 KK Liberty 

FWIW My wife's 2009 Limited had the TCS and BAS lights go on one day for a few hours.....dealer said it was clock spring and switch around the clock spring that was going out. Replaced under Max Care at 103K
54lariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

We'll the dealer replaced the transfer case switch and that fixed it so far and $300 later. That's the first time I've paid to have a vehicle of mine fixed. Usually do all my own work but needed it fixed fast.
1997 ZJ
PA Jeeps member
scottsjeeprolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
tomas_nu
2008 KK Liberty 

I just clean all the 4 abs sensor today & found one off them broken, i fix it until thursday. I all ready orde from ebay the replacement. Tank you all for you post
tomas_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas_nu
I just clean all the 4 abs sensor today & found one off them broken, i fix it until thursday. I all ready orde from ebay the replacement. Tank you all for you post
Any chance u could snap a quick pick of the sensor location on the wheel?
jrich58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich58 View Post
When you take off the wheel it should be the only wire/sensor there by the brakes.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
tomas_nu
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich58
In the front wheel the sensor plug is located in the top of the mud guard, in the back wheel is located just in the back ok the disk brake, be carefull whit the lock of the electrical plug, don brake it, is a red part.
tomas_nu is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.