traction control/ 4wd light and 4wd service light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > traction control/ 4wd light and 4wd service light

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
r1967a
1999 WJ 

traction control/ 4wd light and 4wd service light

So my wife was driving down the highway the other day, probably going about 70-75 on a clear great road condition day. When all of a sudden the traction control light flashed and came on. Then the 4wd light came on..and then the service 4wd light came on. So all three lights are on and the jeep is driving down the highway with no adverse effects other than the lights. She goes into the store comes out and all lights are off. They have turned on and off again a few times since, including one time with both of us in the car so I was able to see as well. I'm clueless, what in the world could it be and where in the world should I start. Thanks!!!!

r1967a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

What year and model? KK Liberty?
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

what kind of tcase does she have? regardless you should have it checked out
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
r1967a
1999 WJ 

its an 09 liberty sport..hope that helps
r1967a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

Our 09 occasionally would do some weird things in regard to the dash lights. Sometimes, it seemed really random, the dash warning lights would stay on when you started the Jeep. I could release the e-brake and the "brake" light would stay lit, etc. All it would take would be to turn the key to the off position and then restart the engine. It probably did it 4 or 5 times during the 2 years we owned it. Never took it in to the dealer for that issue because it was so intermittent and never actually caused any problem.
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
juan9863
2008 KK Liberty 

4wd/service4wd lights on while normal road conditions

I did checked my vehicle at a dealer and they told me that it could be a sensor in the tranfer case that could be going bad, is about $300. I never changed it because they told me not to worry for now until is necesary.
juan9863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ditto

Our '08 KK service 4WD light came on a couple times, but never seemed to stay on after the next restart.

I'd let it ride if the tranny shifts fine and the tcase engages as expected and makes no unusual noises.
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Did she accidentally put it into 4LO while driving? That will make those lights pop up I think
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
mike79

I am having the same issue, however when this happens I lose traction control (it's not just a light) and cannot engage 4wd! It was very dangerous and scary driving in the snow.
mike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

This happened to me once. It was one of the ABS sensors. All of the systems utilize the sensors to detect spin and what not. What had happened was one of the clips holding the cable broke lose and the cable wrapped around the front axel causing the sensor to fail. It happened at 75 on the thruway. Talk about scary. These things drive like a whole different beast when the attend are all off.
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Libertee

Loss of 4wd/traction control

I have the same problem with '09 Liberty Sport -- very frustrating. Has anyone found a solution?

Very intermittently (around every 6 months) the traction control light, 4wd service light (and sometimes 4wd low) indicators come on. When this happens I cannot engage any form of 4wd and there is no traction control.

I took it to the dealer and they said there were no fault codes. They re-programmed the transfer case control module with a firmware update, checked the wiring harness, and performed a transfer case standard service, but this did not fix the problem.

Last time it happened was on a long-weekend ski trip. It happened just after I left the house, and stayed that way for the next three days and nights. I tried disconnecting the battery, but the condition remained. I nearly lost control on a snow-packed highway (not exaggerating). Then a day after I returned home everything miraculously went back to normal, and has stayed normal for the last month.

So after reading this post I will ask the dealer to check and replace the wheel speed sensors. Anything else? I'm on the verge of giving up on this vehicle.
Libertee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
bigbentx

I've had mine in the shop three times for this problem and they still haven't figured it out. It's now due for a forth trip. Yesterday it had come on, so I messed around with the 4X4 by turning it on and off a couple of times and it actually worked, for now. If I get a fix I'll be sure to post it.
bigbentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
polecat123
2014 WK 

Just had this same problem fixed on my 10 KK. Problem was a faulty ABS Speed Sensor and damaged wire harness to the sensor. $320 bill
polecat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
bigbentx

Thanks for the post. That'll be my next report to the dealership.
bigbentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Canucks_Fan
1978 CJ7 

Having pretty much the same problems with my wife's 11 Liberty. 4x4, 4x4 Lo, and ESC OFF randomly on and off but there doesn't appear to be any difference in how the thing drives. The fact that it chimes every time the ESC goes off (and it was going on and off about 3 times a minute yesterday on a 300 mile trip) pretty much would have been my defense for killing somebody with road rage. I tried manually turning the ESC off, but it would turn itself back on, and then fail and chime. Frustrating. At least I now have an idea what to tell the dealer what to look for tomorrow when I drop it off.
Canucks_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.