1Likes
  • 1 Post By bjase25

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
bjase25

Garage
Towing with a trailer 2012 Liberty

2012 Jeep Liberty towing capacity and travel trailer

This is more of an informative post than a question. Iím hoping my experience will assist anyone who has questions about towing with a newer liberty. The short run down about my jeep. I purchased this vehicle new from the factory with all the extras. It does have a towing package which includes the transmission cooler. I have also recently added 3inch spring spacers to raise it a little and bought the biggest tires that would fit which ended up being 265 70 R17.
Iím normally pulling a small 5x8 trailer with fire wood probably not weighing more that about 2200lbs. It has no problem with this trailer even in snow in the mountains. I recently purchased a 2017 Jayco Jay flight 145RB. Much different experience pulling this trailer. The trailer is 16.5 ft. long and I want to say it weighs about 2500 empty and 3000 full. The 3000lbs is probably a bit of an understatement. It claims at the empty weight the tongue weight is 265 which I believe is a bit more.
When hooking up at camping world my first impression was damn im going to need a weight distribution hitch. The back end of the jeep sagged quite a bit, definitely more than it was supposed to. I noticed that for the first time the liberty was having a hard time with the load. On my 100 mile drive home the liberty did fine as long as I kept it under 65mph. My fuel economy went from 18 to about 12 mpg which was expected. The new liberty has a lot of feature to help protect the engine and transmission from damage. Because of these features it feels weak, when some of the features are disabled because you put it into 4 low itís a totally different story.
But with that being said you canít go driving around all day with a travel trailer in 4 low. I would not suggest towing anything bigger than a 18ft trailer and 3500lbs with this vehicle. Everyone is different and I know some try and pull a house or a long trailer creating an unsafe situation. I have ordered my Curt Weight Distribution Hitch and canít wait to get my vehicle level again. Any questions or comments feel free to post.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1084.jpg  
debinvenice likes this.

Last edited by bjase25; 09-19-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Add phote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 AM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

I would also suggest getting a sway brake. They're only about $50 and they keep that scary waggle from being able to happen. I've towed a lot of trailers, and even when I was using a 1 ton Cummins to pull a trailer less than half of rating, the sway brake just does a nice job of keeping the trailer in control even when you swerve around something in your lane.

If you don't have a brake controller, you should get one. Required or not, having trailer brakes really makes things safer.

Have you checked your tow rating?

I don't know where you're at, but in Oregon, you can pull onto any highway scale, even if it's closed, and it will show you what you weigh. It's kind of nice to roll one axle at a time and jot down what's going on. If you really have time to screw around, you can put your front axle on there and play with the load distributing bars until you like how much weight it transfers.

Here's my little piglet sitting on a closed weigh station scale, with no trailer. The sign lights up when you drive on the platform, but otherwise everything is pitch black.

You could also drive into a landfill and see what the scale says.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
bjase25

Garage
Hey thanks Azzkicker. Yeah I have a sway control that came with the weight distribution hitch. The brake controller here in Colorado is mandatory so I had to have one installed right away. I have been meaning to get a full weight of my trailer just think about it too late. I wrote this post to share my experience and have others do the same. I keep seeing people unsure if certain weights and sizes of trailers are ok to pull with their liberty and most of the time I would say No it's too much. I completely understand when someone sees a 22ft camper that they can get for an awesome price but don't want to spend the extra money to get a vehicle capable of pulling it.
I bought the my trailer to fit the size of vehicle I have. I could have got a wonderful price on a 2017 18ft jayco as well but felt like it would have been pushing it a bit too much. I also have to park in a cramped space. But that with the highway scales is a good idea I would have never thought about that. For anyone looking to purchase a weight distribution hitch Walmart is a good place to start. I would imagine the one I bought is probably the biggest size any jeep owner would need. It is made by curt. The max tongue weight with spring bars is 500lbs and 200lbs without with a max towing capacity of 5000lbs.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 01:25 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

One thing you need to do is toss that spacer lift and do a full spring with better shocks, heavier springs, ( OME 927/731s ) starting from there that will help with the overall towing ability
Looks like you have larger tires as well so a regear is also in order , so more power etc

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
bjase25

Garage
Yeah the spacer lift I did with new bilstein shocks. The spacer lift I got for cheap and just threw it on. Is doesn't seen to affect my ride much. I do however need to get an alignment done on my front end. When I make sharp turns it activates my stability control a little. When viewing my jeep from the front the wheels tow in a bit kind of like a military Humvee. I might go all out one day and do a full lift on it with new springs but for now its just a bit much. The tires are 2 sizes bigger than what it came with. I originally had 245s and now have 265s. After talking with a few mechanics I know and researching the internet I shouldn't need to change the gearing any. This vehicle is babied and not driven hard. It does have a transmission cooler which comes in handy when I'm driving around on the trails in the mountains. I completely feel you on the gears though. I purchased this jeep from the factory while I was stationed in Germany and would run it on the autobahn all day at around 100mph. When I got to Colorado I found myself doing 90mph on the highway. Needless to say the bigger tires have tamed the beast, I hardly do over 80mph anymore. Its kind of funny, my 2002 Nissan xterra use to be the underdog when it came to driving on the highway now its the other way around. My Xterra has less HP at 180 and a 3.6L V6 also with 265s on it.Good advice though, thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

LMAO

Not getting it
Libertys have weak springs from the get go, so to improve ride/ hadling and better towing heavier springs and combined with better shocks would help a lot
Now on to gearing, not sure what kind of mechanics you talked to BUT regearing would help a lot with towing and without

I run 4.10s with 265-70-16s and tow a lot and it does help, have all of my Libertys regeared for the larger tires , well 2 out of 3 of them
Have lifted over 45 Libertys so far, along with regearing etc so know the advantages and the disadvatages

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
bjase25

Garage
Tommud. I completely agree but like all things it comes down to money and resources. Neither of which I have right now. With what my best friend said was the tranny would do fine with those tires. I use to have a mustang that I would race regularly so I know all about some 4:10 gearing. Wish I could throw some 4:10 gears in the jeep and get it to tote the front tires like my mustang did. But all in all I agree on everything.

Last edited by bjase25; 09-23-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Edit
post #8 of 8 Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
bjase25

Garage
You will have to excuse me sometimes I go into a rant and get completely off topic and make no sense. ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.