Towing with the KK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Towing with the KK

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
jeepems
2010 KK Liberty 

Towing with the KK

Hello everyone

I have recently bought a 2010 liberty. First jeep first post! So... I am planning on buying a camper soon and would like to know what to expect when towing with the KK. Please let me know if you have any towing experience with a KK. I plan on getting a camper around 3000 lbs. It may be a pop-up or a tall travel trailer. I am interested in handling as well as power and mpg's. Thanks guys.

PS I have the factory tow package.
jeepems.

jeepems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

All I have towed is my pontoon boat which weighs a little less than 3000lb but has more frontal area than a pop-up. I had more than ample power with the trans locked out of overdrive. Handling was very sensitive; it is very easy to overcorrect to any sway due to the Jeeps quick steering input. MPG was about 14mpg at 55mph on fairly level Fla roads (I have the mpg calculator display). Unless you have the trailer towing package, I would advise getting the pop-up rather than a travel trailer due to the large frontal area of a travel trailer.
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
capsfloyd
2010 KK Liberty 

2010 liberty , my wifes .. she has towed our Bayside popup [3500] with no problems ..
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i towed my other car on the car trailer, which brought it almost to the towing capacity (4700) pounds. only problem was a lil bit of swaying around 60 mph. otherwise it i didnt even feel much decrease in performance. the other time i tower 2 axle uhaul trailer full of audio hardware in upstate new york over some curvy roads with steep turns and somewhat steep angles. jeep struggled a big over some but considering the weight and lenght of the trailer it was acceptable. liberty is pretty good at hauling if you ask me, and that was pretty much one of the main reasons whey i bought it
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

oh an the mpg was 10-12 on the highway thats with the towing button pressed, no overdrive
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

I bought a 2011 TS25S Rvision camper, about 27 feet and 3600 dry. average tow it was around 4200pds with gear and I tried to weight the jeep down a bit to help.

The Liberty had no problems with power at all but the wheel base of the liberty compared to the camper was too much and created a lot of sway. I installed a Reese dual cam anti sway weight distribution hitch which just connects to the factory Jeep hitch and mods are all on the camper which helped. I had no issues until about 50 miles but then I felt like the camper was controlling the direction of the liberty too much.

My advice would be to look for a camper that is less then 23ft with hitch or spend a little money on a hensey tow system and that could help you out big time in your travels. If you plan on just traveling side roads you can get away no problems but as soon as you hit hwy it is unpleasant with a longer trailer. Wind can cause even greater issues.

As for MPG, 10 to 12.

PS they will try and sell you on a weight distro which comes with a lot of the anti sway systems but I suggest you ask them to load the camper on first and see if you require it. The Trailer I have the Jeep impressed the dealer as the sag was less then a half inch in the rear and the weight distro was not needed, i had to take it though because it was part of the anti sway system.
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
ddmag52
2008 KK Liberty 

I have a 2008 4x4 I towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer loaded around 2500lbs. from Delaware to Kentucky twice 1st time I used the tow mode got 10-11 mpg sounded like it was real hard on the engine. 2 trip just left it in normal mode it did fine and mileage was about 12. The Liberty does fine towing just didnt think I needed to use the tow mode.
ddmag52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.