tow/hual rocker switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > tow/hual rocker switch?

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 04-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Justin2012
2012 KK Liberty 

tow/hual rocker switch?

You may think I am crazy but I just wanted an opinion on this. Has anyone had an issue with a sticky tow/hual button? I spilled coffee on mine and have been trying to clean it for a while (still works) but the button itself is very sticky. This that is a bad design to begin with when they put the push button flat mounted and wondered if anyone has switched or thought about switching to a regular old rocker type switch for it? Is it just as simple as I am thinking and set up like an on/off switch? I dont get the chance to get on this sight very much but would definitly like any input wether it be good or bad comments about the idea.

Justin2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I hear you about the sticky tow/haul button. I haven't done anything about it yet, though.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

^^^ditto^^^
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I had mine replaced twice. It's one of those things where Jeep made a poor engineering decision. The switch is at awkward location for the driver and the switch itself is cheap. You have to be the consul clean, if you happen to spill a little coffee, I mean like a few drops and some grains of sand should get lodge into the switch and it begins to stick. I used a razor blade to carefully clean it out and I wipe my consul religiously and add a little "Armor All" to it.

The best location for that switch would of been on the gear shifter. I use tow/haul often when I drive through heavy traffic it works great.
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is that it is a momentary switch that makes a contact to tell the computer to switch modes. Pop it out to confirm. Then just buy a similar button and install it somewhere more appropriate, lengthen wires, and enjoy.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Still haven't fixed mine. I will soon though, sad thing is I never spilt anything or had any food there...
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Justin2012
2012 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if it would cuase any trouble to simply splice in longer wires and move the switch up on the dash somewhere or even keep the same wires and relocate to the side of the console, somewhere that it can be positioned so as to avoid dirt/spills from getting in the switch. I ultimatley they the key fix for this is a heavy duty rocker of some sort. If its a momentary switch I would be hesitant to change it. Also bothersome is the fact that it may be on a certain voltage to be read by the computer and changing out the switch may throw a code or cuase further problems at the computer.
Justin2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nah, Theres no way that its that complicated.
I'd bet it would work just fine if you just touched the bare wires together for a second.
Pop it out and move it. that way you can keep the indicator light feature. While its out(and disconnected) you can clean it with plain water and blow it dry with compressed air
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I had this issue this past weekend. A little aggressive finger punches and I finally brought mine back.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
pilot143
2011 KK Liberty 

I had the same issue with mine... something got all down and around the switch... I pressed it by accident and it wouldn't come back up. I was on a road trip and was in bad need to get it fixed as i had 4 hrs of driving ahead of me. I used a spare shirt and some water and really got down in there trying to get the gunk from around it. it popped back up and worked fine. I'll have to see how its doing when I get home now that I think about it.

but I don't believe its a momentary switch. I think its still a spdt (single pole double throw) 2 position switch. but instead of it being up and down like a typical switch is... its in and out... but when its on its slightly more in than when its off. a momentary switch would come all the way back out... and would probably reset when you turn the car off and back on (as does the abs/antiskid button)
pilot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot143
I had the same issue with mine... something got all down and around the switch... I pressed it by accident and it wouldn't come back up. I was on a road trip and was in bad need to get it fixed as i had 4 hrs of driving ahead of me. I used a spare shirt and some water and really got down in there trying to get the gunk from around it. it popped back up and worked fine. I'll have to see how its doing when I get home now that I think about it.

but I don't believe its a momentary switch. I think its still a spdt (single pole double throw) 2 position switch. but instead of it being up and down like a typical switch is... its in and out... but when its on its slightly more in than when its off. a momentary switch would come all the way back out... and would probably reset when you turn the car off and back on (as does the abs/antiskid button)
Doesnt the tow/haul feature deactivate when the truck is shut off?
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Yes. Still aggravating as switch gets stuck pushed down.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper6413
Yes. Still aggravating as switch gets stuck pushed down.
I agree. I have noticed mine is sticking on one side as well. I blame that on my wife! Lol

But would a toggle switch work on something that is designed to disable when power is cut off?
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
BettyHumpter
2011 KK Liberty 

i fixed mine like this:

I filled the switch with wd40 and let it sit for about 5 min. I was able to push the switch down a little, then I used a shop vac to suck out the wd40 and would repete the process until the switch was able to move freely. It took me about 20 min to get it to work like normal. There should be a little clear rubber dome on top of it (Like a switch condom) to keep liquid from going down in there.
BettyHumpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyHumpter
i fixed mine like this:

I filled the switch with wd40 and let it sit for about 5 min. I was able to push the switch down a little, then I used a shop vac to suck out the wd40 and would repete the process until the switch was able to move freely. It took me about 20 min to get it to work like normal. There should be a little clear rubber dome on top of it (Like a switch condom) to keep liquid from going down in there.
A "switch condom." I love it. What a dirty mind. Ha ha.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.