Tow Hitch/Harness for the KK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Tow Hitch/Harness for the KK

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Tow Hitch/Harness for the KK

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty seriously looking at a 2012 Liberty sport 4X4. In fact I'm waiting for the dealer to contact me back as we speak. I would really like to be able to tow with this. Mostly it would be hauling a small 5X8 utility trailer but in the future we'd like to get a small camper, maybe a pop up.

My question is, how expensive/hard is it to install the hitch and harness myself (I'm pretty capable as long as there's no welding involved). OR, should I try and get the dealer to put it on as part of the deal. They probably won't go for it cause I'm gonna make them work pretty hard on my trade in.

Thoughts?

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I went thru the same thing. As part of the negotiations I wanted the Hitch and harness installed at no additional cost and the dealer agreed.
COLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I havent installed a hitch, but I've installed a rear tow hook. The install should be very straight forward for the hitch itself. Basically just bolt it into place. When looking from underneath you'll be able to spot the two locations where the hitch bolts to.

Worse come to Worst you could always go to UHaul and have them install it for around $300.00
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
lakehimself

On one of the other threads someone had it done, his username is BenHoleton, I'm sure if you send him a pm he would let you know!
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

I'd try and get the dealer to include it. I just had one installed. It doesn't weld. It bolts up. If you go OEM on the hitch, you need to trim the bumper. It's not hard to do yourself. I only paid to have mine done because it's so forsaking cold and I need to haul a trailer soon, as I am moving. My install cost $82, or appr 75 minutes from the dealer. I bought the hitch off eBay to save a bit from dealer cost. Also, the wiring harness will work without the dealer doing anything but if you need sway control, they have to flash it. My install cost came with the computer flash
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton
I'd try and get the dealer to include it. I just had one installed. It doesn't weld. It bolts up. If you go OEM on the hitch, you need to trim the bumper. It's not hard to do yourself. I only paid to have mine done because it's so forsaking cold and I need to haul a trailer soon, as I am moving. My install cost $82, or appr 75 minutes from the dealer. I bought the hitch off eBay to save a bit from dealer cost. Also, the wiring harness will work without the dealer doing anything but if you need sway control, they have to flash it. My install cost came with the computer flash
I had an aftermarket hitch put in my Lib, bought the hitch at Mopar online, for 120.00 I think, I installed myself then bought the wiring for a 100 and had the dealer wire it up and flash the computer for 150. I paid a little more but wanted it done right.
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
griff02
2008 KK Liberty 

I put one on my sport myself. I would suggest getting the mopar receiver and wiring kit being you are getting the 4x4. the factory receiver mounts higher into the bumper (you have to cut it, but it has a indention already outlining the cut) and allows more clearance. The wiring harness is plug and play, but you do need to run it to the back of the jeep to the front underneath within the chassis. Not hard, and the instructions describe the path to take. Back when I got mine, there was a plug that I had to change the pin around on to make it work right, but they have probably fixed that by now.
griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

A little late to the party here, but I went with the OEM hitch and 7 wire harness. A little more spendy but I prefer OEM to other after-market parts. I had the dealer install it all. Again, a little spendy but I knew it was installed right and any problems they could fix it.
2009-jeep-liberty-17-tl-guards.jpg  
Jeep black tube step/side rails
Jeep molded splash guards
Jeep cargo area security cover
Jeep hitch receiver and wiring
Black Taillight guards
Window vents
Bug deflector
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.