Tire sensor values and the "dealer" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Tire sensor values and the "dealer"

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Tire sensor values and the "dealer"

Quite annoyed with the fact that to replace the tire sensor cuz the cheap part they originally used suffers from corrosion.

So for $185 that ONE item was replaced and tire reinstalled improperly.

I found this morning after hearing some noise back there some lug nuts where lose. So I pulled out my star wrench and tightened them up and again when i got home.

Should I jack it up and redo it? Or am I ok to make sure its torqued as is. I have not heard any other noise since and no oddness in how it drives or vibrations.

Anyone know if the new ones they are using are the same crap? or have they been "improved".

I looked at the one they did in Feb. and it appears to look brand new still...

On top of that I think I am done with that particular dealer as a shop and will try some other Jeep places around town here.

I've looked at third party tire places but I don't have much confidence in them as they didn't seem to either.

Thanks!

severewinds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

I would recheck the wheel torque again. I would also call and notify their service department. Someone there needs wrote up. Some shops its automatic termination. For your tire pressure sensors, are you using the stock plastic caps that came with them, likely a small grey cap? Very few come with any kind of metal caps, and should be avoided due to galvonic corrosion, from being different metals. Plain black plastic caps dont work either, as they lack the sealing ability to keep moisture out. Lastly, your state's snow removal procedures are likely a big culprit, with the sodium chloride they dump on the roads. Out here they call it a pollutant, and its not used on the roads.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Jacked her up and redid it. Thanks.

Whats funny is now I have 3 different style stems.

two of the older ones. a newer one still silver in color. and now the new one is a gold plated one.

Nice lol.
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

They probably started anodizing the aluminum stem on the sensor to reduce corrosion. The silver one is like what I've seen mostly. GM has dabbled with rubber stem models, and Ford with with bands holding the sensor in the middle of the wheel, so its not exposed to the outside at all.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
luvmylib

ALWAYS lift the weight of the vehicle off the wheel to torque the lug nuts, use a cross pattern to tighten and tighten the nut evenly. Vehicle weight on the wheel can create problems including undertorqued(loose) lugs, rotor warp or broken studs.....

My tire guy recommends application of periodic corrosion removal and a light application of WD40 to displace moisture in the valve stem...works for me.
luvmylib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Sounds familiar! I whipped out my torque wrench to make sure it was even.

My dad used to use vasoline, but WD40 should do the trick.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.