Tire rotation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Tire rotation

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

Tire rotation

I have a 2010 Renegade that came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A all Terrain tires. The Jeep has 11,000mi driven, and 30,000mi towed behind a motorhome. The tires have never been rotated. The tires have worn evenly across the tire and are not cupped. However, the Jeep rides and sounds like it is on off-road mud tires. This has gotten more and more noticeable as I increase the miles towed behind the Motorhome.

The tread on the front tires appears to be wearing so as to cause each section of the tread to form an aggressive angle which would give a better bite into dirt if off-road, but which gives a rough, noisy ride on smooth pavement. This pattern is caused, I believe, by the towed jeep directing the steering direction of the tires rather than the tires directing the Jeep as would be the case in normal driving. When making a right hand turn, the overhang of the Motorhome and hitch pushes the Jeep to the left while also pulling the Jeep ahead until the Jeep falls within the arc of the turn and is then pulled back to the right. I plan to rotate the the tires front-to-rear and I wonder if I can X-rotate the tires so as to change the direction of rotation of the tires? Years ago I was told tire rotation on a radial tire should not be changed. Is this, in fact, true?

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

for a 4x4 rotation of 4 tires take the back straight forward to the front/ front left to back right/ front right to back left

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

Do you mean that it shouldn't be changed after use ? If you buy second hand tires you might not know the original direction of use. I've turned mine round to hide scuff marks that were only cosmetic but looked a mess. Never had any noticeable issues
jonifun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I realize that most of your miles on you Jeep are from being towed. I rotate mine everytime I go for an oil change. I don't think the SRA are a directional tire, but would rotate them every 6K as stated above. The SRA's are an average tire when mine finally wear out I gladly replace them with either General, Michelin, Firstone or Bridgestone. The SRA have about 21K on them and in the rain hydroplane like crazy and still have about 3/4 of Tread on them.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Years ago I was told tire rotation on a radial tire should not be changed. Is this, in fact, true?
Years ago when radials came out, this was true, but, today that isnt, EXCEPT if you have directional tires, then they must maintain the correct position or side. As a rule, I figure every other oil change, rotate the tires front to rear. Vehicles with allwheel drive or auto 4wd systems, I prefer every oil change. I suggest avoiding second hand tires, except when there isnt another choice. Those tires came off a vehicle for a reason. Rarely was it because the owner just didnt want them anymore.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.