Tips and instructions for painting over chrome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Tips and instructions for painting over chrome

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

Tips and instructions for painting over chrome

I am purchasing steps for my KK. They are unfortunately chrome. What would be the process for a permanent paint solution? I am thinking bed liner type paint. Any recommendations for prep and products to use? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Plasti-dip with pumice as grit to provide traction. There are youtube videos on how to layer it properly to provide grip.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_Katie
Plasti-dip with pumice as grit to provide traction. There are youtube videos on how to layer it properly to provide grip.
I'm not sure I want Plastidip there. I am wanting a permanent solution. I will not be changing my mind on color.

Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Smetna
2011 KK Liberty 

Jeepers and plastidip. A match made in heaven (hell). LoL

I think you're on the right track with the bed liner idea. Just rough up the texture first, as usual.
Smetna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

From what I have read online, it appears there will be a lot of sanding in my future.
Well, I will have a week to play while the family is in Disney.

Can anyone recommend a primer and bed liner paint? Do I want to use an etching primer after sanding or a regular primer? Any bed liner paint better than others? Help appreciated.

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
fairmont1998
2012 KK Liberty 

Your most permanent solution would be to take them to a metal plater and have them de-chromed before trying to paint them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.