TIPM shorting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > TIPM shorting

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
hollyr
2010 KK Liberty 

TIPM shorting

My daughters 2010 Liberty's headlights stop working. Brought to dealership in July, said I need new TIPM, but they got them working again. Just stopped working again two days ago. Jeep quoted $738 P&L. Anyone else with this problem. Plus they said it would take a week for the part. Can't drive at night.

hollyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. I've read that can sometimes help as a temporary fix. It will most likely malfunction again but it could buy you some time.
Also, is this now out of warranty?
Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

The standard warranty on electrical components is 3 yrs/36,000 miles.
The tipm in the kk is the same one that goes in jk and ka nitro which problems have been reported.
Sorry to hear about the electrical problems, i kind of suspect the dealership is being lazy since its only your headlights. The tipm is basically just a fuse box that also houses relays so it could be be just a single loose wire that they don't want to track down.

Also, unless I'm missing something, that should be an install most anyone can do. There are clip on harnesses on the backside, fuses, and two latches that hold it in place. Of course if it didn't fix the problem the dealer would blame your at home install.

Good luck.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
dereusj

My lights did the same thing. I'm going to buy the part myself (since it is backorder to God knows when) and replace it. I found a 2010 Liberty TIPM for $370. Dealer quoted me $525 for the part and a total of $770 with labor. Way to much for what seems like an easy fix.
dereusj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
mhowald
2010 KK Liberty 

Mine started the same thing about a week ago. Most of the time the headlights do not work. I see a couple of the other posters were going to replace the TIPM. My understanding is the the Front control Module (FCM )
Controls the headlights. Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue?
mhowald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
mhowald
2010 KK Liberty 

I believe that I have fixed my TIPM without having to purchase a new one. I would be happy to share the details if anyone is interested.
mhowald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
RKK
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowald
I believe that I have fixed my TIPM without having to purchase a new one. I would be happy to share the details if anyone is interested.
Yes I am interested,. Include pictures to make it interesting. What problem did you find and how you fixed it? I opened a TIPM and I know it is hard to open the unit. How did you get it to open ?
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
RKK
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereusj
My lights did the same thing. I'm going to buy the part myself (since it is backorder to God knows when) and replace it. I found a 2010 Liberty TIPM for $370. Dealer quoted me $525 for the part and a total of $770 with labor. Way to much for what seems like an easy fix.
What is the Internet price ? Factorymoparparts.com ?
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

if i had to pay 700+ to the lights to work will hard wire them direct to a custom witch.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.