Those with roof racks, how did you secure it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Those with roof racks, how did you secure it?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those with roof racks, how did you secure it?

Obviously there's the stock roof studs that are in the roof, but if you try to tighten those too much or if the mounting plate isnt perfectly flat, it will pull on the stud. This obviously (thanks to the horrible design) will start to peel back at the seam right along the channel, almost like peeling open a can. This in turn will lead to water leaking inside the Jeep and running down to the floor pans.

Nutserts? I guess the only other option is to do a bolt/washer/nut deal, but you'd have to drop the headliner. So my question is, either A) How do I drop the head liner, or B) Will nutserts work for this? Or since they can get kind of heavy and with the wind, would I even want to use Nutserts? Thanks!

TurboGoKart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

ooorrr you could just use the stock studs and not go all Hulk on them. Worked fine for me
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ditto... I used them and just hand tightened the roof rack side rails to it with a washer and then plasti-dip sprayed them to help and to make it all black and match.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lolz! I just don't like how the rack feels "not sturdy" with barely torquing down those studs. Mainly because the rack isn't just for aesthetic purposes. I'm going to put stuff up there haha.
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGoKart
Lolz! I just don't like how the rack feels "not sturdy" with barely torquing down those studs. Mainly because the rack isn't just for aesthetic purposes. I'm going to put stuff up there haha.

Most of us put stuff up there. I have a snowboard rack up there now and it's very sturdy. I grab ahold of it when I'm standing up there to put the boards in and it holds me just fine... Are you using the mopar side rails and crossbars?

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Past Jeeps: '02 WJ Overland, '02 WJ Limited, '08 KK Sport
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No ma'am. Mine didn't come with side rails. I made my own custom basket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.