Thinking of purchasing a liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Thinking of purchasing a liberty

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
wicat3
2005 WK 

Thinking of purchasing a liberty

Hey guys. Im new to the board and here for some advice. Im looking at a 2008 liberty with 39000 miles. I looked around and found a lot of negative feedback on the motors going at 50000 miles and horrible gas mileage ect ect. Anyway I figured here would be a great place to talk with and get some good advice. How well do the libertys hold up? The jeep im looking at has the 3.7 v6. Im considering the jeep because most guys who I know who own jeeps hold up for a long haul and that's what im looking for. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated.

wicat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Well, feel free to review many of the posts on here. Like any other vehicle you can be real lucky or pretty disappointed. Suggestion, run a car fax then having a reliable mechanic take a thorough look at it.

PROS - It's very solid, I'm 200lbs and when I go fishing I just sit up on the hood and wait and wait and still don't catch anything. There aren't many vehicles you can still do that with. It drives like a truck but smaller and has a great turning radius a lot of guys change out the suspension and the tires and it makes a big difference, it has a 5000lb tow capacity and if you have the tow package on it already it tows beautifully, and very comfortable. With traction control in the snow you almost never need to 4wd unless you are driving through some really heavy drifts.

Negatives - MPG is 15-17 realistically being a 4wd, you have an extra axle and transfer case as far as fluid replacements. The transmission shifts smoothly but sometimes searches for a gear in stop and go traffic.

Just make sure the recalls have been addressed.

Good Luck
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
I looked around and found a lot of negative feedback on the motors going at 50000 miles and horrible gas mileage.
My wife had a 2003 KJ we bought used with 54000 miles and put over 100000 more miles on it with only one IACV cleaning, one set of radiator hoses and 10000 mile oil change intervals with mobil1 extended life oil and napa gold filters. Still ran like new when sold.

The mileage is decent for what it is. You will have to wait for the 2014 Cherokee if you want better than 17
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You always read reports from people who abused their Jeeps and something happened, rarely do you hear about folks who do regular maintenance and have around 200,000 and even more . Have had reports on various forums of folks over 300,000 miles even
Buddy of mine is close to 225,000, I'm at 190,000 almost and know of a bunch more closing in on that mark.
Fuel mileage I know the KKs don't do as well as the KJs it seems. But keeping up with regular maintenance, you should get close to 20 on the highway. They are a solid vehicle and much better than anything else in their class.
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I came from a Patriot when I bought my KK. It really is a night and day difference. The Patriot is based on a car platform, as the KK is more of a truck. The MPGs are totally different as well. I was seeing 25MPG consistantly on the Patriot. Right now on the Liberty I am getting around 17. You know that going into it. Yes the Liberty's MPGs aren't the same as the Patriots, but why would you think a vehicle the size of the Liberty would get 25mpg? If it did it would be severely underpowered.

Anyway, I absolutely love my KK. I bought it while I was out of town. It's a 2009 Deep Sea Blue, and when I purchased it. It had only 14.5k miles. The thing was obviously garage kept and never driven. If you have the chance to snag an 08 with around 39k miles. I'd say DO IT!! You are getting a great vehicle at an even better price.Another thing that is great about the Liberty is that it is solid.

My only wish was that the Liberty came with wider tires.. these 225s look too thin to be on the Liberty. Thats easily fixed though.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

That's really low mileage! What kind of roof? Hard top, moon roof, or sky slider? Automatic or manual?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
wicat3
2005 WK 

I believe its a hard top. Im not too worried about gas mileage because right now I have a 92 ford f150 with a v8 in it and I fill up about twice a week at 40 bucks a pop if not more. I was looking for a truck or a jeep figuring I could just get a trailer if I need to make home depot trips or what not and I know I could have fun with a jeep but have always felt better with a vehicle like a Cherokee. I love the looks of the KKs. Im big into maintenance of my vehicles. I would just hate to go buy a newer vehicle to get into something with major problems or an electrical nightmare lol.
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

If you can get a few pictures, we could probably offer some even better advice.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
wicat3
2005 WK 

Ill post the site that im look at it from.

http://www.danburyhyundai.com/Vehicl...-CT/2017767423
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Ill post the site that im look at it from.

http://www.danburyhyundai.com/Vehicl...-CT/2017767423
Looks really good, but then again it's silver so that hides a lot. My main concern is why he has the rear bumper protector. Either he's been hit before, or ... Go test drive that thing!
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
wicat3
2005 WK 

Im going to go test drive it on Saturday. They have that one that im really interested in and another 08 with 50k on it in blue. Not sure I really dig the blue but if its better then its a no brainer lol. One question I do have for you guys is im leaving a pick up for this and I don't always use my pick up other then a driver and have access to a pickup if I needed one but can you get plywood or sheetrock up on the roof if I needed to in a pinch? I plan on buying something like an open trailer to tow to home depot and the lumber yard and what not.
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Im going to go test drive it on Saturday. They have that one that im really interested in and another 08 with 50k on it in blue. Not sure I really dig the blue but if its better then its a no brainer lol. One question I do have for you guys is im leaving a pick up for this and I don't always use my pick up other then a driver and have access to a pickup if I needed one but can you get plywood or sheetrock up on the roof if I needed to in a pinch? I plan on buying something like an open trailer to tow to home depot and the lumber yard and what not.
You should be able to on the roof, especially if you have roof rails. Idk for sure, but you might even be able to fit it inside with the back seats folded down.
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

You'll be amazed how much room is available when you fold the back seats down AND the passenger seat!
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
wicat3
2005 WK 

Well guys the day seemed to be a bit of a disappointment starting off. Got to the dealership to look at the liberty to find that someone had put a deposit on it. They offered it to me to test drive incase the seller flaked out but my wife was not to happy with the deal and wanted to leave. We took a look around because they had an 09 liberty with about
20k more miles then the other. Turned out it was sold too! Long story short I came home with an 05 grand Cherokee
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicat3
One question I do have for you guys is im leaving a pick up for this and I don't always use my pick up other then a driver and have access to a pickup if I needed one but can you get plywood or sheetrock up on the roof if I needed to in a pinch? I plan on buying something like an open trailer to tow to home depot and the lumber yard and what not.
You'll need a roof rack of some sort, this one handles everything I've thrown at it including full sheets of ply.

AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.