Thinking of buying a used KK - QUESTIONS! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Thinking of buying a used KK - QUESTIONS!

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
pharunk
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thinking of buying a used KK - QUESTIONS!

My 97 Cherokee Sport is on its last miles and I am considering replacing with a late model Liberty. I like the looks of the KK.

1. Are the 08-12 years similar, along the lines of the 97-01 Cherokee Sport models, where there was little differences and body parts were interchangeable?

2. Should I stay away from the 08 model year?

3. What are the common issues with these vehicles, which I want to be aware of when test driving?

4. For those who own this model, what kind of gas mileage do you experience?

5. Anything else I should be aware of before I enter the market for a used KK?

pharunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharunk View Post
My 97 Cherokee Sport is on its last miles and I am considering replacing with a late model Liberty. I like the looks of the KK.

1. Are the 08-12 years similar, along the lines of the 97-01 Cherokee Sport models, where there was little differences and body parts were interchangeable?

3. What are the common issues with these vehicles, which I want to be aware of when test driving?

Nothing wrong with the 08 model. Slight changes in later models including retuned suspension, different rims, interior color, and no more option for a manual.

Gas mileage is nothing to brag about. A stock KK will get on average 17-19 city and 20-22 on the highway.

Don't expect a ton of aftermarket for the KK.

One of the most important things to know about the KK is that there are two different 4 wheel drive options available. One is Selec-Trac and the other is Command-Trac.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

Buy my 12
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Liberty09MN
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRS View Post
Buy my 12
Haha you would love that wouldn't you! Save you some time having to part out your stuff, and hook up a forum member with a loaded KK! Sounds like a win win haha
Liberty09MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the KKs are all the same just like the XJs. The newer, the better as far as rust and accumulated miles goes. An 08 senior owned garage queen would be better than a 2012 border patrol jeep.
MPG will be right about the same as an XJ... maybe a tick better.
As nice as the concept of the skyslider is, I would stay away from that as they are a headache.

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

If you're planning on a lift, the 08 KK front rack is a little weaker than the later models.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Pay the extra $$ and run a car fax check to make sure all of the recalls were addressed and unless your are certified ASE technician, in addition have someone else inspect it. I would do this with any used car you plan on purchasing.
My mpg is about 16.5 city/hwy, the original tires still on and now Jeep has 55K on it The original tires are kind of rubbish. It's handling isn't the greatest, however, if you ever need to really load it up, it can carry a lot of weight really well. Some other things, I had my gas tank replaced for a fuel burp issues when filling it. I replaced the brakes at 50K with Napa Adaptive pads, have to tell you stick with Chrysler pads and rotors they're much better!

Anyways good luck
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharunk View Post

1. All KKs are basically identical. Biggest change is the interior was updated in '11, I believe. I prefer the newer interiors. The rest is small stuff as far as mechanical.

2. That's personal preference. If you want a stick, you're stuck with '08s, if you want the newer interior you need an '11 or '12.

3. Biggest thing I've seen is the fuel "burp". I think it was mostly '08s and '09s, but there's a fix for it now. If you have the problem take it to the dealer and they should fix it.

4. My 4x4 Sport gets about 12-13 mpg city and 17-20ish highway. My daily commute of 70 miles sees about 16mpg. That's 95% highway, but I have about 5 lights in a 55mph zone so there's some pressure on the skinny pedal My best was ~20mpg of basically pure highway.

5. The aftermarket isn't really that big. It's starting to grow more, but options are limited. It isn't a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK or XJ market by any means. Don't expect lifts over 4" and don't expect to fit larger than 32s on that 4" lift. Also be prepared to be told that it isn't a "real Jeep". Other than that, it's a great truck that does what it's built for. Power is lacking, but it's enough. You shouldn't notice too much of a difference from the XJ.

Oh I also recommend the sky slider. I love it. And haven't had any problems with it. Most people just complain about the noise, which to be honest isn't that bad at all.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Halloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524

1. All KKs are basically identical. Biggest change is the interior was updated in '11, I believe. I prefer the newer interiors. The rest is small stuff as far as mechanical.

2. That's personal preference. If you want a stick, you're stuck with '08s, if you want the newer interior you need an '11 or '12.

3. Biggest thing I've seen is the fuel "burp". I think it was mostly '08s and '09s, but there's a fix for it now. If you have the problem take it to the dealer and they should fix it.

4. My 4x4 Sport gets about 12-13 mpg city and 17-20ish highway. My daily commute of 70 miles sees about 16mpg. That's 95% highway, but I have about 5 lights in a 55mph zone so there's some pressure on the skinny pedal My best was ~20mpg of basically pure highway.

5. The aftermarket isn't really that big. It's starting to grow more, but options are limited. It isn't a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK or XJ market by any means. Don't expect lifts over 4" and don't expect to fit larger than 32s on that 4" lift. Also be prepared to be told that it isn't a "real Jeep". Other than that, it's a great truck that does what it's built for. Power is lacking, but it's enough. You shouldn't notice too much of a difference from the XJ.

Oh I also recommend the sky slider. I love it. And haven't had any problems with it. Most people just complain about the noise, which to be honest isn't that bad at all.
#5 - isn't a real jeep
My a$$hole neighbor said that so to upstage us - try- they bought an older 4 door wrangler and think they are the *****.
Explain the isn't a real jeep thing to me - because as far as I see - it says jeep and pound for pound is as good if not better than theirs
Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

The old school guys will not accept any jeep that is not a wrangler, heck some of them wont accept the new JK even though it is a wrangler...dont sweat it. I have never heard of anyone ribbing a Liberty that actually owned one or had lots of drive time in one that was 4x4. Its only the ones that see it and know its IFS and that is it, they dont want to think how its way better than their wrangler on road, and only second place behind the wrangler off road. 99% will never do Moab, or have to clime boulders the size of Volkswagens. It is great to see the look on peoples faces when you roll up into a spot that has nothing but giant wranglers and they are thinking, how the hell did that guy get up here?
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

I did some easily 3 foot water trails with Wranglers this past weekend. Two of them got stuck. Guess who didn't. MEEEEE!! Thats right, the Liberty ran great, still gotta remove the underbrush thats stuck to the undercarriage.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
dawoodrocker
2008 KK Liberty 

2008 to 2012 the mecanic is almost the same no noticable difference , they make some little change in the interrior design in 2011 like the stering wheel and the upholsery colour. Try to avoid the skyslider they have a lots of problems with. There is two type of 4x4 system the command trak and the select trak II , the difference is the command trak have a 2x4 hi, 4x4 LOCK HI and 4x4 low, the select trak II have the 2x4 hi, 4x4 AUTO Hi and the 4x4 low . Dont hesitate if you have more question!!!
dawoodrocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.