Thinking about purchasing a used 2012 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Thinking about purchasing a used 2012

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
CBRDude

Thinking about purchasing a used 2012

I'm thinking about purchasing a used 2012 Liberty. For the money I don't think you can beat what you're getting. I've located a Silver Sport with minimal options for 16500.00. It's got 24K on it. I want one with a warranty left so if there are any issues I won't be stuck with a lemon. The max I want to spend on this project is 20K and there seems to be a spread of them from the low 16's to the high of 23 for a limited. This one was a rental with National. I'm going to be using it to trailer 3500 - 4000 LBS of jet skis. We travel up to 4 hours when we take the skis out. I know it can handle up to 5K on towing, but so does a Honda Pilot or the Toyota highlander. Which are more reliable vehicles but are not really tow vehicle's and also cost about 10K more. We had a 2003 Mitsu Montero full size that pulled like a dream. But had to retire it at 250K. Everyone I've talked to said to stay away from the front wheel drive SUV's as they are not meant to tow. Yes, they have a 5K rating, but you'll burn up the tranny pulling that kind of weight around. This is going to be a third vehicle and used primarily to pull the trailer and for use on the weekends as my daily driver is a work SUV and not meant for personnel use. So for the money I'm not really ******* out lots of coin on this project. I'll need a hitch and wiring harness on top of this purchase as well. Is there anything I should be looking for or needing. I'd like to get as much bang for my buck as I can without giving up what I already have for creature comforts like GPS, heated and cooled seats, sunroof, remote start, ect. Thanks for any input valued!

CBRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Well try and find one with the tow package on it. I should of gotten it when I got mine. I have actually ordered my hitch from a local dealer and hoping to pick it up on Tuesday. Basically the route I am taking with it is I plan on buying the hitch, wire harness all from Mopar, then you will have to get the computer re flashed. The Hitch is costing $200, Wire harness not sure yet but guessing about between $160 and $200 and the re flash is about $100. As far as balls, I will shop around

There are other routes you can go, with Reese and other companies, but I like how the Mopar Hitch sits and doesn't sag down in the rear. The re flash helps with lighting and transmission control. A weight distribution hitch is needed when you are towing close to 5K.

I am just getting one, to carry my mountain bike, I am sick of folding my rear seats. As far as being able to tow, I can tell you I just did a Lowes run had my gf and her mom with me. As well as 6 64qt Top Soil bags and 2 trays of plants and it actually rode smoother with very little effect on acceleration.

Good Luck
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
MtBJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
Basically the route I am taking with it is I plan on buying the hitch, wire harness all from Mopar, then you will have to get the computer re flashed.
Why the re-flash?
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

There's no need for a flash on a 2012.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Smetna
2011 KK Liberty 

Yeah, I;ve never heard of the need for re-flash when adding trailer wiring. The lights will work fine when connected properly, and tow/haul mode is standard on all liberties I thought
Smetna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

If they say you need a reflash, call shenanigans.
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
CBRDude

I'd like to go with the factory hitch and wiring harness to keep it looking OEM. The aftermarket hitch seems to hang down a bit. The aftermarket wiring harness has always been a PITA for me and fail every year. I had to resort to a OEM on the Mitsu as the aftermarket one kept failing every year. I had it professionally installed too by a shop that does only trailers and nothing else. They kept replacing the harness and finally gave up and went OEM which went the distance.

Most of what I've located locally have been rentals in their previous lives so I know at least the oil has been changed vs. the unknown. Being a rental they don't always have all the bells and whistles and are plain janes. If I spend the extra coin I can find the those nice options but would rather not spend it if I don't have too. Like I said this is the third vehicle so it's going to be used just for towing and weekend use only.

If I found with the factory hitch does the package include a trans cooler or any other items? I know Mopar in years past if you opted for the trailer pkg you got a bigger battery, alternator and cooler in the deal. Does this hold true for Jeep?
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

The dealership told me that a reflash will help with transmission response and with lighting issues. Of course, I will only do it if an issue persists. I think trailer package came with a mechanical fan vs and electric for the motor and a larger transmission, and power steering cooler. Not certain though this area has been discussed before and is kind of gray.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

get factory hitch setup... you get an extra cooler and tow setting though I dont really know what it does other than eat gas really well. It also has stabilization for the heavier weights. Also, supposedly, you get some extra towing capacity out of factory installs, but that could have been the sales guy trying to sell me something that could tow my boat.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
CBRDude

So my understanding is the factory set up only includes the hitch and wiring and nothing else! No trans cooler, bigger rotors and alternator, ect... Hum... so much for heavy duty right? Also looking at the Dodge Nitro which is it's twin at dodge. Found the Heat version all decked out including factory hitch and wiring. Will look at it this weekend if it does not rain.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.