Things that make you go Hmmmm. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

So, I was yapping with my car nut cousin last night and we made an interesting comparison.

My current Liberty is my third Jeep. The first two were leased and a while ago. My first Jeep was a 98 Cherokee Sport 2 door 4X4. Only had the power equipment group option and an auto. That thing was indestructible. Almost embarrassed to say that I beat the living snot out of it. That said, the only $$ I had to spend on it was stuff I wore out or damaged. The darn thing never broke.

I replaced it with a 2001 Cherokee Limited. That beast stickered for $28k. Yea, you read that right. It was totally loaded. Leather heated seats, off road group, up country suspension, select-track, you name it. Sad thing, it was no where near as good as the Sport. It had a vibration issue that I could never seem to get just right, felt sluggish at times, and had a horrible windshield water leak that the dealer could never seem to fix. I early termed that one and got a Honda Accord Coupe...

Fast forward to today... I got a Liberty Limited 4x4. It is also fully loaded with the only missing items, a trailer hitch and skid plates. It's got it all. Sunroof, Navigation, Selec-Trac II, heated seats, the works. So, what have I found? Well, I'm again chasing a drive train vibration and have discovered a horrible water leak around the rear flipper glass. Are you kidding me?? Maybe I should have given up the luxuries I've gotten used to and just got a Sport. Ugg...

One interesting thing to add... I don't nearly have to engage 4x4 as much with the traction control present in the Liberty. I remember my Cherokees would get all tail happy in the slightest bad weather. Not so in the Liberty.

I have not given up on the little red Jeep, I just thought it was funny and felt the need to share..

josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I think its a coincidence that the upgraded models have issues. I dont think that a limited or Renegade would have more issues than a sport. It has been known that Sunroofs leak due to the drain valve getting clogged. That doesn't sound like your issue though, I think your's is the seal in the rear has been broken and needs to be sealed again. I think it's somewhere around the antenna.

I have a 2009 Liberty Sport 4wd I bought used. I know from reading the carfax that the Liberty went through a set of tires after 5k miles. I've also replaced the tires at 20k miles. So my Liberty is on it's third set of tires, mostly because the stock Wrangler ST tires suck. I've also had a misfire in Cylinder 3 where my plugs were toast. I've since replaced them and not had any issues since.

If you remove all the fancy items from your Jeep it will still be the same as mine. The bones and brains are the same, so its just coincidence you have issues. I wouldn't mind a Red Renegade
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

There is a TSB for the leaking flipper glass seal and a TSB to reprogram shift points that will eliminate the vibration from your transfer case. Welcome to the forum!
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

Sounds like u just had a bad bit of luck. Sometimes things happen when u mass produce anything. Hopefully u can get your current issue fixed under warranty?
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just the way it is,the more options the more that can and will go wrong.
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
There is a TSB for the leaking flipper glass seal and a TSB to reprogram shift points that will eliminate the vibration from your transfer case. Welcome to the forum!
Would you have the TSB# for the one regarding reprogramming the transfer case? That is a new one.

Right now the dealer and I are looking into what could be causing it. I'm thinking it is the axle and intermediate shaft that others have had issues with. I'm sure the dealer would love for the fix to be a software thing.

As for the flipper glass TSB, yup I have that and all the weatherstrip is on order. So, I hope to have the glass leak fixed this weekend. Sucks that the weatherstrip cost me $140.00.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.