Talk me into (or out of) a KK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Talk me into (or out of) a KK

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

Wish I never bought mine, drive ability is horrible. When you test drive it hold it about 55 mph around 15-1800 RPM's see if you feel what seems like a engine miss, or tug. Jeep has no fix for it says that's the way its supposed to drive. The only way I can reduce this is by running premium gas it in at 4.13 a gallon isn't real feasible on 18 MPG. A lot of forums on here about what they call a Fishbite or torque shutter. Whatever you want to call it, its horrible.

Jeepers20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Wow, Jeepers, that is not normal. If premium gas fixes it, it can't be the torque converter sudder because that is part of the transmission. I had an XJ once that pinged under load, and your description sounds familiar. I also used premium gas for a while to reduce it. Later found out my spark plugs were gummed up and changed them to new copper core, properly gapped plugs and that fixed the pinging problem. You may also want to run a can of fuel injector cleaner through your gas tank, maybe before changing your plugs.
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers20
Wish I never bought mine, drive ability is horrible. When you test drive it hold it about 55 mph around 15-1800 RPM's see if you feel what seems like a engine miss, or tug. Jeep has no fix for it says that's the way its supposed to drive. The only way I can reduce this is by running premium gas it in at 4.13 a gallon isn't real feasible on 18 MPG. A lot of forums on here about what they call a Fishbite or torque shutter. Whatever you want to call it, its horrible.
Sorry to hear.

Did you try a tune-up? Plugs, check the coils and wires too. Perhaps a reflash of the computer? How many miles on the clock?
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

This problem started at 18,600 miles on my 2012 Jeep, is still doing this at 28,000 miles. The Dealer has decarbed the motor, changed plugs, changed EGR valve, and changed the torque converter. They have also flashed the computer, I have tried the Fuel injector cleaner. I had a claim open with Jeep and they told me it is normal operation. The TSB that has no solution to the fishbite states that premium gas will help. I run the premium and can still slightly feel it, I've tried premium non ethanol and that seems a bit better yet but not 100% and I don't think I should have to run this in a brand new vehicle anyway. The dealership and Jeep have determined to do nothing further with the vehicle at this time as when the computer is hooked up it shows no misfire and shows that everything is working as it should be. I will try anything as I do like the jeep but this issue drives me crazy and anything that I will be trying I will do out of pocket as it is still under warranty however the dealer says they will no longer address the issue, again because the computer says its fine. The tug, skip, bump feeling is much worse with the air conditioning on, and does it basically anytime you try to hold a constant speed. Some days its worse some days better however no correlation with the weather, driving conditions etc that I can find.
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers20 View Post
This problem started at 18,600 miles on my 2012 Jeep, is still doing this at 28,000 miles. The Dealer has decarbed the motor, changed plugs, changed EGR valve, and changed the torque converter. They have also flashed the computer, I have tried the Fuel injector cleaner. I had a claim open with Jeep and they told me it is normal operation. The TSB that has no solution to the fishbite states that premium gas will help. I run the premium and can still slightly feel it, I've tried premium non ethanol and that seems a bit better yet but not 100% and I don't think I should have to run this in a brand new vehicle anyway. The dealership and Jeep have determined to do nothing further with the vehicle at this time as when the computer is hooked up it shows no misfire and shows that everything is working as it should be. I will try anything as I do like the jeep but this issue drives me crazy and anything that I will be trying I will do out of pocket as it is still under warranty however the dealer says they will no longer address the issue, again because the computer says its fine. The tug, skip, bump feeling is much worse with the air conditioning on, and does it basically anytime you try to hold a constant speed. Some days its worse some days better however no correlation with the weather, driving conditions etc that I can find.
Do these test when the engine is COLD. See if anything is different.
Usually I wouldn't doubt premium fuel would help, but it does say in the owner's manual to only use regular. Premium should only be used in a vehicle that states it's okay, or if it's tuned to run on premium fuel.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers20 View Post
Its not because there is not an engine light on that its ok.Engine light comes on when something is out the specs its programmed to be judged as normal.EX: if an oxygen sensor is giving a reading that the engine is running too rich,the computor will lean it out.The sensor is not coding because its not open or closed circuit.This is when you need a mechanic that can read the values of the different sensors and not only read the codes when they come out.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

I've had it to 3 different mechanics all at Chrysler who can not figure out what it is, the vehicle has the same operability if its cold or warmed up. I did at one point have the check engine light come on for an oxygen sensor which they replaced, but made no difference, Chrysler is saying when they hook their computers up it reads there are no problems and that is what they go by, I agree a real mechanic should be able to troubleshoot without the computer telling him what the issue is however apparently Chrysler doesn't work that way.
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

I had a mechanic replace the front oxygen sensor one one of my veh twice, it had some hesitation,lacked power and the check engine light would come on with a code for the frt oxygen sensor.I later found out by myself that the problem was a torn rubber around the air cleaner element,that let dirt accumulate on the hot wire in the air flow sensor causing a too lean mixture making the oxygen sensor code.A new filter and a spray of cleaner on the afm and problem solved.PS: sometimes ,mechanics rely too much on computors and forget to go back to check the basics EX: a bad air filter will not code.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.