Super vs Turbo vs Alternative. Which would be better for max HP/TQ for a 2008 Liberty - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Super vs Turbo vs Alternative. Which would be better for max HP/TQ for a 2008 Liberty

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 03-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
onegoodpunk
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 69
i have it recorded so ill watch it again to give you some more details if you want the brand of supercharger and any other details. or you can try one of the jeep universal turbo kits on ebay that are like $600

onegoodpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
VMF
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoodpunk View Post
watched a recent episode of Xtreme 4x4 and they supercharged a JK 4 door. It cost around 4500 for the supercharger plus some misc parts and install. And they got close to the same results from that than a JK with a swapped HEMI.
JK motor is completely different. its a pretty ****ty engine in fact, with bigger displacement its weaker then the KK engine. its a friggn shame
and those 600 turbo kits will just get debris into ur cylinders and you gonna have to get a new engine
__________________
___________________________
2008 KK limited 4x4. Inferno Red
2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
JK motor is completely different. its a pretty ****ty engine in fact, with bigger displacement its weaker then the KK engine. its a friggn shame
and those 600 turbo kits will just get debris into ur cylinders and you gonna have to get a new engine
The 3.8 is a OHV engine design that has been around for something like 30 years,can handle boost though and if you take all the fancy emission crap off it is a very good engine that can make much more power.Sadly like the 4.0 I6 is very past it's time to die,gladly the 4.0 I6 is long gone and soon the 3.3/3.8 will be to.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
VMF
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 579
i dunno how good it is man, ours eats oil that i have to add a quart every 3k, and it def much less powerful then the liberty, cant even compare them. def not enough power on the highway and if not for the rubicon tcase gear ratios it would suck in offroad as well. performs ok in krawl. loved the i6 with its flat curve. and those 3.8 are mad old,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_3.3_engine#3.8
they should have equipped JK with the i6 instead of this crappy engine, the second wrangler comes out with pentastar the currenct one is going to be traded in.
__________________
___________________________
2008 KK limited 4x4. Inferno Red
2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
i dunno how good it is man, ours eats oil that i have to add a quart every 3k, and it def much less powerful then the liberty, cant even compare them. def not enough power on the highway and if not for the rubicon tcase gear ratios it would suck in offroad as well. performs ok in krawl. loved the i6 with its flat curve. and those 3.8 are mad old,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_3.3_engine#3.8
they should have equipped JK with the i6 instead of this crappy engine, the second wrangler comes out with pentastar the currenct one is going to be traded in.
Like stated the current emission crap is your cause of oil usage.Not saying I like the 3.3/3.8 but from a tech's stand point it is a better engine then the 3.7,and I will not hide the fact that I dispise the 4.0 I6 and glad it's no longer being produced.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
VMF
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 579
why is better? i think pushrods are a thing form the past? and why are emissions are the cause of the fuel usage? the powertech v6 does not eat oil at all and it feels much more refined and more powerful form the driving perspective.
__________________
___________________________
2008 KK limited 4x4. Inferno Red
2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
why is better? i think pushrods are a thing form the past? and why are emissions are the cause of the fuel usage? the powertech v6 does not eat oil at all and it feels much more refined and more powerful form the driving perspective.
The 3.3/3.8 is much simplier in design,less to go wrong.A SOHC design like the 3.7 has alot more parts which requires better maintenance.The 3.7 is also a higher rpm engine,likes the revs which can make spirited driving better with the 3.7 over a lower rpm torque producing 3.3/3.8.

Your oil comsumption is from the emission crap installed on the 3.8 to pass emissions and the plastic intake which carbon does not stick to very well so it now sticks to that emission crap which plays havoc on the crank case ventilation which pulls oil throgh valve guides and piston rings.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #23
VMF
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 579
never thought about it this way, but i would take "unreliable" sohc or dohc engine like powertech or pentastar
anytime over this pushrod v6. i cant say much about pentastar reliability but powertech seems to be proven and reliable design judging by the KJ. ive heard about 42rle giving problems, but not much about the engine itself. oh and why not 45rfe? i know diesel KJ gets 45RFE but not the gas version....
im not sure why u despice the amc i6, my friends TJ went over so much abuse and still going strong after 140k. all original
__________________
___________________________
2008 KK limited 4x4. Inferno Red
2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #24
BloodyShadow23
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
I agree. The 3.7 was not made for boost, but kenne belle got some impressive numbers from the 2 valve 3.7. Perhaps they had some issues regarindg engine drivetrain components, because they discontinued it.

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...7/libert37.htm
So what would be the best alternative so I don't blow my engine or buy even more parts just so the turbo would work?
BloodyShadow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #25
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyShadow23 View Post
So what would be the best alternative so I don't blow my engine or buy even more parts just so the turbo would work?
Regear your diffs to 4.10's and if your lifted with 32"+ tires I'd go with 4.56's.Yes you must regear both front and rear diffs.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #26
BloodyShadow23
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 116
So how much would that run me? If I were to regear them the 4.10's.
BloodyShadow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyShadow23 View Post
So how much would that run me? If I were to regear them the 4.10's.
I'd give Josh at CrawlerTech a call.It's not cheap but at least you can get the front gears easier then KJ guy's since your D30M uses JK D30 gears.The front diff is the pricey part since it requires complete removal to regear and that is like 5-6 labor hours alone.Expect $1200-$1500 for a complete regear,much cheaper then going custom in the engine bay.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
SuperRliBerty
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,442
This supercharger is "made for all jeeps" but if that turbine blade fails, it will send shrapnel through the intake like a hell fire missile. They did not even do a before and after dyno run. If that supercharger is efficient it should produce at least 75+ hp.

GTE supercharger.

Our Electric supercharger is designed for enthusiasts looking for additional power but are not ready to buy an expensive turbo kit or supercharger kit which can void their vehicles warranty, cost upwards of $5000 and require additional maintenance. You won't have to worry about these things with our electric system. It may require small modifications to mount the charger on your air intake line, but it can always be reversed. It can be installed by most people with basic tools and no prior automotive knowledge.

What is included with this purchase?

•K-N STYLE AIR FILTER INCLUDED!
•Built-in secondary fan inside the air filter for tornado/vortex effect
•900+ Watt Motor
•Safely generates up to 5 PSI of boost
•Laser Cut 10 Blade Turbine with Rigid metal
•Spools at 20,000 RPMs+
•Maximum Boost in less than 1/10 of a second
•2” – 3.5” Rubber Couplers - Allow you to install on various vehicles with various piping
•High-Flow Air Filter Unique Design *Optional
•Step-by-step Installation Guide in Manual
•Metal Securing Clamps
FAQ:::
Will this fit my car?

Since there are so many variations in engine sizes, vehicle types and your current modifications, it is important to take a peak at your engine bay and determine if there is enough space for such device. This device can work with stock air boxes or an existing air intake. Keep in mind you may need to make adjustments and use clamps to make the charger fit. Further, since this device is only designed to work under full throttle, you either have to run the switch inside your car through the firewall or mount the switch in a way so it turns on the charger at full throttle. Full throttle means when you car is floored or almost floored. This device is not designed to be on for more than 30 seconds at a time. It needs about 5-10 seconds after every 30 seconds for cool down. Don't let that bother you, keep in mind most vehicles will go 120+ MPH in 30 seconds.

What are the power gains?

The power gains will vary depending on engine size and current modifications. Most cars will expect anywhere from 10-20% power gains including extra torque.

What is the difference of this charger and those cheaper products on ebay?

Keep in mind some sellers on eBay are selling boat blowers as electric superchargers. This product was specifically designed for this application. Many eBay sellers sell inferior kits put together in their basement and call it an electric supercharger. For this reason we are the only seller that includes a serial code on the box, ensuring it’s authentic.

What is the warranty?

We offer lifetime warranty on the motor and parts. If you ever have a problem, just email us.

What if I buy and want to return it?

No problem, this is why we offer 30 day money back policy. Keep in mind we do not refund the original shipping costs. Its also your responsibility to mail it back to us. We feel customer should only keep a product they like. This is why we make returns easy. We kindly ask please never leave us any negative feedback.

Can you ship international?

Yes, we ship USPS Priority Mail International - Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. If you need this item quickly please select Express shipping which is usually 7-10 days. For shipping costs click the EBAY Tab near top of this page called "Shipping".



1supercharger-body.jpg   3chargerexample.jpg   2filternew_2.jpg  
__________________
2008 Sport Liberty
Cold air intake*Trush (magnaflow) turbo muffler* Hypertech power program*
Hood Prop mod. Battery Quick Release mod.
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
This supercharger is "made for all jeeps" but if that turbine blade fails, it will send shrapnel through the intake like a hell fire missile. They did not even do a before and after dyno run. If that supercharger is efficient it should produce at least 75+ hp.

GTE supercharger.

Our Electric supercharger is designed for enthusiasts looking for additional power but are not ready to buy an expensive turbo kit or supercharger kit which can void their vehicles warranty, cost upwards of $5000 and require additional maintenance. You won't have to worry about these things with our electric system. It may require small modifications to mount the charger on your air intake line, but it can always be reversed. It can be installed by most people with basic tools and no prior automotive knowledge.

What is included with this purchase?

•K-N STYLE AIR FILTER INCLUDED!
•Built-in secondary fan inside the air filter for tornado/vortex effect
•900+ Watt Motor
•Safely generates up to 5 PSI of boost
•Laser Cut 10 Blade Turbine with Rigid metal
•Spools at 20,000 RPMs+
•Maximum Boost in less than 1/10 of a second
•2” – 3.5” Rubber Couplers - Allow you to install on various vehicles with various piping
•High-Flow Air Filter Unique Design *Optional
•Step-by-step Installation Guide in Manual
•Metal Securing Clamps
FAQ:::
Will this fit my car?

Since there are so many variations in engine sizes, vehicle types and your current modifications, it is important to take a peak at your engine bay and determine if there is enough space for such device. This device can work with stock air boxes or an existing air intake. Keep in mind you may need to make adjustments and use clamps to make the charger fit. Further, since this device is only designed to work under full throttle, you either have to run the switch inside your car through the firewall or mount the switch in a way so it turns on the charger at full throttle. Full throttle means when you car is floored or almost floored. This device is not designed to be on for more than 30 seconds at a time. It needs about 5-10 seconds after every 30 seconds for cool down. Don't let that bother you, keep in mind most vehicles will go 120+ MPH in 30 seconds.

What are the power gains?

The power gains will vary depending on engine size and current modifications. Most cars will expect anywhere from 10-20% power gains including extra torque.

What is the difference of this charger and those cheaper products on ebay?

Keep in mind some sellers on eBay are selling boat blowers as electric superchargers. This product was specifically designed for this application. Many eBay sellers sell inferior kits put together in their basement and call it an electric supercharger. For this reason we are the only seller that includes a serial code on the box, ensuring it’s authentic.

What is the warranty?

We offer lifetime warranty on the motor and parts. If you ever have a problem, just email us.

What if I buy and want to return it?

No problem, this is why we offer 30 day money back policy. Keep in mind we do not refund the original shipping costs. Its also your responsibility to mail it back to us. We feel customer should only keep a product they like. This is why we make returns easy. We kindly ask please never leave us any negative feedback.

Can you ship international?

Yes, we ship USPS Priority Mail International - Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. If you need this item quickly please select Express shipping which is usually 7-10 days. For shipping costs click the EBAY Tab near top of this page called "Shipping".



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrm6...layer_embedded
100% Snake OIL,DO NOT BUY
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #30
BloodyShadow23
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 116
I'm still puzzled why they call it a supercharger when it acts like a turbo anyway. Plus 5 lbs. of boost from that little thing and a manual switch to turn it on? I think the right word is sketch.
BloodyShadow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.