Strut/Shock Recommendations ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Strut/Shock Recommendations ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Strut/Shock Recommendations ?

I have a 2012 Liberty Latitude w/7000 miles and 18" wheels.

The front struts are totally shot after 7,000 easy highway miles. The truck has always handled very poorly from brand new. The front end has had a vibration not too long after we bought it. Advised from everyone was the tires were out of round so we swapped them out. Well we are now on our 3rd set of tires (including the OEM POS donuts).

Knowing that dealing with the dealer and trying to get them to replace the struts was a losing battle, we didn't waste our time.

So now it's time to change out these POS struts and shocks.

I've seen Bilsteins going for around $320 Shipped.

What do you'all recommend ? Just want a better ride and safe handling over stock.

Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

While you've got it apart you may as well replace those crappy OEM springs. There's a pretty good possibility that you have a bad cv causing the vibration. I had a bad one from around 10000 miles and the dealer kept saying it was the tires. When I finally replaces the intermediate shaft and cv I discovered that the two wouldn't come apart, they're broken inside and the splines are locked together.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
While you've got it apart you may as well replace those crappy OEM springs. There's a pretty good possibility that you have a bad cv causing the vibration.

I had a bad one from around 10000 miles and the dealer kept saying it was the tires. When I finally replaces the intermediate shaft and cv I discovered that the two wouldn't come apart, they're broken inside and the splines are locked together.
Thank you for your input.

A bad CV @7000 miles ? How can this be verified ? I'm sure as snot not going to toss a ton of $$$ into this thing.

We are getting REAL discouraged with this truck at this point.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

not for nothing, but at 7k miles i would be at the dealer every day with my complaints until they fixed it. you are still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, why would spend any money?
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
not for nothing, but at 7k miles i would be at the dealer every day with my complaints until they fixed it. you are still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, why would spend any money?
I am going to do this ASAP. Just really not looking forward at all to the hassle I know I'm going to face.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

They should be pretty willing to find out what the problem is.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Not if it's Fred Martin, it's like pulling alligator teeth to get them to do warranty work. They wouldn't even look at mine, especially after the lift.
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
They should be pretty willing to find out what the problem is.
Turned out the OEM struts were shot at only 8k miles.

Dealership replaced them under warranty!

Truck rides and handles better than when we drove it off the lot brand new!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.