Strange problem, need some opinions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Strange problem, need some opinions

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich58 View Post
hey all, i have a bit of an update....today I noticed that the "chugging" sound doesnt happen when cold and not up to temperature yet....does anyone know if the tps is possibly disabled during warm up? Is there anything else that it could be seeing as it only happens when warmed up?
It's not disabled during start up, but will be in "open loop" during a short time of the warm up. After the open loop stage, it enters "closed loop" and it will return to open loop during heavy throttle/full throttle periods of driving.

Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

Just got home from work, this problem is really getting to me. No idea where to start, honestly I dont have the extra $$ to go to the dealer for 92 an hour diagnostic fee. Without a CEL i dont know what else to check...anyone ever have a similar issue, the best i can describe it would be a fluttering type noise at first throttle, goes away after 1500 rpm or os. Anyone have suggestions? PLease Help!!
jrich58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Try going full throttle 5 times and see if that changes anything.
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Try going full throttle 5 times and see if that changes anything.

I can't tell if your being serious or not, lol?
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm being serious. I never went full throttle in my vehicle until recently. It greatly improved how it felt while driving under normal conditions. Give it a shot on a safe back road that you know well.
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

If it helps, in gear, my ScanGauge says the throttle position is 11. Now find someone local that can check yours.
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #22
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid
I'm being serious. I never went full throttle in my vehicle until recently. It greatly improved how it felt while driving under normal conditions. Give it a shot on a safe back road that you know well.
Now I have to ask, do you mean floor it from stopped position? How long are you "punching" it for? I can't say I've had the same issue as discussed, but especially with the blast of cold we have been gettin, it has been driving real rough.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #23
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Yes, floor it all the way 0-60. You don't have to be at a complete stop. Sometimes I just hold it down to the ground till 4th gear catches on.
Once again, please don't be an idiot, use caution, and only on a unoccupied road you are familiar with.
Unread 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

image-946203384.jpg

Hey all, I'm hoping someone can look at their KK engine and help me out. I believe this sensor that is mounted to the engine is the map sensor, it's between the alt and water pump. Mine is held one by one bolt to the left and what appears to be a broken bolt/stud on the right side. Can anyone confirm this should have two bolts or is the right side supposed to be some type of stud to hold it there? If anyone is willing to help out a fellow jeeper that would be awesome.
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
JeepLibertyKK
2012 KK Liberty 

When it was checked for an exhaust leak, did they check the cats? A plugged up catalytic converter can do weird things.
JeepLibertyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #26
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

Not sure if they checked the cat or not, I will have that done. I tried the floor it 5 times, but didn't seem to help at all. I am stumped about this sensor, I can move it in/out a bit where it looks like there should be a bolt (rh side)....if this is supposed to be a bolted down area, could this also cause a vacuum leak? I'm really hoping someone could check theirs to see if it should be a bolt....I would be super grateful!!! I don't know anyone local with a KK...
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

When I cleaned my EGR valve a month or so ago, it seemed to make the Jeep run smoother. Some say it doesn't affect driveability, but it seemed to work for me. It'll take you less than 15 minutes.
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #28
JeepLibertyKK
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Not sure if they checked the cat or not, I will have that done. I tried the floor it 5 times, but didn't seem to help at all. I am stumped about this sensor, I can move it in/out a bit where it looks like there should be a bolt (rh side)....if this is supposed to be a bolted down area, could this also cause a vacuum leak? I'm really hoping someone could check theirs to see if it should be a bolt....I would be super grateful!!! I don't know anyone local with a KK...
If the issue is the catalytic converter, romping on the throttle won't clear out the problem if the cat is plugged up. Not sure if this is even the problem but worth a look... major loss of power if they get plugged up.

My wife usually takes the Jeep to work, including today, but will try to get you a picture later this afternoon if no one posts by then.

Okay, since no one posted, do any of these photo angles help at all?
img_20131213_193234_610.jpg   img_20131213_193249_148.jpg   img_20131213_195204_498.jpg   img_20131213_195212_550.jpg   img_20131213_195307_814.jpg  

Last edited by JeepLibertyKK; 12-14-2013 at 10:09 AM..
JeepLibertyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #29
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

That helps a lot, mine looks exactly like that so I guess I'm not missing a bolt. This problem is so strange, I also noticed some air bubbles recently in my coolant, but I don't small any sweet smells. Could I have a small leak and Thai is the chugging sound I'm hearing? Not to mention its -17 today with the windchill...brrrrrr
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
That helps a lot, mine looks exactly like that so I guess I'm not missing a bolt. This problem is so strange, I also noticed some air bubbles recently in my coolant, but I don't small any sweet smells. Could I have a small leak and Thai is the chugging sound I'm hearing? Not to mention its -17 today with the windchill...brrrrrr
I think at this point we need a video clip of what's going on.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.