Strange looking weights in the front of the liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Strange looking weights in the front of the liberty?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
BettyHumpter
2011 KK Liberty 

Strange looking weights in the front of the liberty?

2011 Liberty Jet edition

I am trying to figure out why my liberty sits low on the drivers side front. I have a leaking shock on the drivers side rear, but that isnt the problem. I was underneath (legs sticking out of the front of the jeep and i looked up and to the left of the radiator and there are 2 steel weights mounted to the radiator core. Together they are the size of a can of spray paint. They are solid steel. What are they for? Should i remove them?

Any thoughts or suggestions

Last edited by BettyHumpter; 07-01-2013 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Your mom.
BettyHumpter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
NJEMT911
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyHumpter View Post
2011 Liberty Jet edition

I am trying to figure out why my liberty sits low on the drivers side front. I have a leaking shock on the drivers side rear, but that isnt the problem. I was underneath (legs sticking out of the front of the jeep and i looked up and to the left of the radiator and there are 2 steel weights mounted to the radiator core. Together they are the size of a can of spray paint. They are solid steel. What are they for? Should i remove them?

Any thoughts or suggestions
Can you post pictures of them here to show us them?
NJEMT911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
fairmont1998
2012 KK Liberty 

Do they look like this?

I've got these on mine and have no idea what they are for. My best guess is vibration dampeners for the diesel.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998 View Post
Do they look like this?

I've got these on mine and have no idea what they are for. My best guess is vibration dampeners for the diesel.
No diesel Cherokees in the United States.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
fairmont1998
2012 KK Liberty 

I know, but if BettyHumpter has the same weights then that throws my theory out and I can dream up another one since no one can tell me what those weights in mine are for.
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
NJEMT911
2012 KK Liberty 

I think they are a sacrificial anode. They draw corrosion away from the vehicle. See here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/z...inter-1400142/
NJEMT911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I actually interned at a company that made bushings and isolation components for ford and Chrysler back in 2003, I prototyped several of these for a ford test vehicle. I would bet that these are vibration dampeners. Do they have a rubber bushing In the center between the mounting bolt and the steel mass?
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
fairmont1998
2012 KK Liberty 

Yes Shobes. If you enlarge my pics you can see between the weights and the centre mounting bracket there is black rubber.
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes , they are vibration dampeners...same as the thing on the rear axle.
They are there for a reason, I'm sure.

The sacrificial anode thing made me chuckle, but it is a plausible enough guess.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.