Steering Wheel...does your lock or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Steering Wheel...does your lock or not?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Steering Wheel...does your lock or not?

On our 2011 KK, I noticed that the steering wheel does not lock. Is this the new standard on the Liberty?

Unread 09-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

I have a 2010 Liberty Renegade (Trail Rated, 4WD). The steering wheel does not lock. This is to allow being towed by a motorhome, etc. When I place the transfer case in N, I then place the gear selector in P, remove the key, and the steering is free to turn as the Jeep is towed.
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
rk911
2010 KK Liberty 

the steering wheel on our 2010 lib ltd. also does not lock. great news for folks who tow libs behind their motorhome (like us).
1946 CJ2A, 2003 TJ, 2010 KK
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

From what I read on the internet somewhere is that the steering wheel no longer locks, but the reason behind the change was interesting. It seems that there was/is goverment regulations that say all automobiles sold in the US must have some form of security or theft prevention. The locking steering wheel became the industry standard years ago to meet this requirement. However, now that the Jeep keys all are computer chipped as to being able to start your vehicle, this has become the new form of fulfilling the goverment theft prevention requirement. So the locking steering wheel is no more.
So for the auto manufacture it is a Win-Win situation. They save money from less spent materials to lock the steering wheel. And stand to make a small fortune in selling replacement keys to owners who loose, misplace keys and have to have the keys/vehicle reprogrammed.
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

You can always but a club lol
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I've owned a "Club" before....what a waste. Better to use my money to lower my deductible on insurance...LOL!!

I was not complaining about it not locking, this feature is more of a positive for me. Makes pulling it back of a motorhome easier if I don't have to leave a key in it to unlock the steering wheel.

Unread 09-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
hogowner
2011 KK Liberty 

I found my twin sister LOL
car2.jpg  
hogowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
thethein11
2011 KK Liberty 

Very cool info thanks guys.

I am interested as to why it is better to have the steering unlocked when towing the KK now that I think about it are you towing it with all 4 wheels on the pavement or just the rears?
thethein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Towing with all four wheels on the ground. You want the steering wheel unlocked so that the Jeeps front wheels will turn as does the motorhome. It is all part of the Jeep tracking the same path of the coach with out scrubbing the front tires and causing undue front steering and suspension parts stress and wear.
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Liberty's have had non-locking steering wheels since the begining('02) unless you had a manual trans then the wheel would lock but no manual trans after '08.
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
lazybonz

Locking steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Liberty's have had non-locking steering wheels since the begining('02) unless you had a manual trans then the wheel would lock but no manual trans after '08.
I had a 2004 Liberty Limited I towed behind a motorhome and had to have a key to unlock the steering wheel.
lazybonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.