steel rims ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > steel rims ?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
chrisdipo

steel rims ?

good? Bad? pros? cons?

chrisdipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
shawnpalmer2121
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Don't buy pro comp mine looked good for a couple of months and then went to **** but they are cheap so don't expect much
shawnpalmer2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

They are heavier so your mpg will take a hit. I have the cragar soft 8s. I love em.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket wheels in general tend to be crap
If you just want steel instead of aluminum, get OEM KJ wheels
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

How are they crap? I don't think mine are craps and look way better than one wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Besides being ugly, they are thinner and weaker than OEM wheels. There are starting to be ugly OEMs that try to copy the garish looks that everyone thinks is "cool" . In their quest to be different, they end up all looking the same. Weak and spindly, hard to clean. Then there are the plain black wheels with round holes. "Blacked out" wheels look just as un appealing. Its all the rage, though, so flame on
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
micherokee

2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Besides being ugly, they are thinner and weaker than OEM wheels. There are starting to be ugly OEMs that try to copy the garish looks that everyone thinks is "cool" . In their quest to be different, they end up all looking the same. Weak and spindly, hard to clean. Then there are the plain black wheels with round holes. "Blacked out" wheels look just as un appealing. Its all the rage, though, so flame on
Man ; sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed....
    Gibson Exhaust
    K&N filters
    Front&Rear Hooks
    Rear Taillight Guards
micherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Says the man with pizza cutter tires and chrome letters across the hood. You really know what looks good.
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdipo
good? Bad? pros? cons?
Well, steel rims have some benefits. #1 cost, #2 if you hit something hard they will bend vs crack. #3 when replacing tires after having them on in a few years, with aluminum you may need to scrape the rubber off from the rim steel you don't have to do it as much. Also easier to paint,

Aluminum positives more styled Lighter grouping with unsprung weight for suspension. Won't rust either.

No there is nothing wrong with Pizza if you got a problem with pizza I 'll boot you off the site! - just kidding let's be nice on here we're all trying to improve our rides.
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
4x4chiko
2012 KK Liberty 

Will the late model 17 or 18in stocks fit a 2012 KK comfortably??? Or should I stick to my stock 16s?
4x4chiko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4chiko
Will the late model 17 or 18in stocks fit a 2012 KK comfortably??? Or should I stick to my stock 16s?
Up to you, a low profile tire may help you corner better. And for some enhance appearance. Negatives - of a bigger rim, tires are more expensive , ride stiffer and easier to damage from curbs and potholes.
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
4x4chiko
2012 KK Liberty 

I spoke to mechanic at a Chrysler dealership and he tried to sell me on the 18s without any detailed info. I work in the oil field and the roads we use going to and from work are usually pretty bad. My stock Goodyear's on steelies take a beating every two weeks at work. Thanks Poncherello.
4x4chiko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4chiko
I spoke to mechanic at a Chrysler dealership and he tried to sell me on the 18s without any detailed info. I work in the oil field and the roads we use going to and from work are usually pretty bad. My stock Goodyear's on steelies take a beating every two weeks at work. Thanks Poncherello.
Glad to help if that is the case go with 16's and if you decide to keep your Lib for a while check out some suspension mods, perhaps a lift and some even taller tires down the road. - I plan on doing the same thing.
Unread 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Keith04GCWJ

I have a 04 WJ and was thinking about getting 16 inch steelies. What should i look into exactly?
Keith04GCWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Steel rims have their place but I do not see the purpose on a KK. Maybe my perception is skewed cause I am used to my fiancee's fully loaded limited but why would you put cheap ****ty wheels on such a nice vehicle?
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.