Staggered tires. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Staggered tires.

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
1VG

Staggered tires.

I'm thinking about getting some staggered tires (wider at rear) for my KK.

At full throttle from a stop the rear tires break traction and the traction control kicks in. I'd like a bit more grip at the rear, enough to put down the modest V6 power without any fuss. I've raised the tire pressures and although it is an improvement, I'd like more traction at the rear.

From what I've read larger tires without a lift will rub when flexing and the fronts will rub at full lock. The most the suspension on my Jeep will flex is when I floor it from a stop, at full braking, and at full cornering on pavement. To avoid rubbing when turning I'd like to keep the fronts close to stock.

I want road tires with lots of traction on pavement. They will never see mud, dirt, rocks, ice, or snow. Maybe some occasional rain on pavement, but that's it.

I don't want to lift my KK because that would raise the center of gravity (and it will never be off the road anyway so I don't need the clearance).

I know I won't be able to rotate (only left to right), that's not a problem. I'm used to cars that came staggered from the factory so that's nothing new.

My KK came with 235/70R16 stock. I'd like to use the same wheels.

My first option: BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour. I've had great experiences with BF Goodrich on road cars.
235/70R16 Front (Same as OEM) [Radius: 367.7mm]
255/65R16 Rear [Radius: 369mm]

The front tires are the same size as the originals, and the rears are within 0.3% of the original outside diameter. This would avoid problems recalibrating the speedometer and the gearing would be kept the same.

My second option: Continental ContiCrossContact LX. I have no references good or bad for this tire.
245/75R16 Front [Radius: 387mm]
265/70R16 Rear [Radius: 388.7mm]

These are wider tires, but also taller. I'm not particularly interested in a taller Jeep. The difference in outer diameter between these two tires is 0.5%. However, they are 5.7% taller than stock, so the speedometer would need recalibration and the gearing would be affected as well as the center of gravity raised. Although they are rated to fit on a 7" wheel, 265s on the stock wheels might look odd.
In this thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...-size-1071276/) doejake (barely) fit 265/65R17 on a stock KK. [Radius: 388.2mm] The 265/70R16 should be 0.5mm larger than what doejake fit.

I'm thinking that the 255s should work for what I'm looking for (more traction at the rear) without any of the problems and uncertainty of the taller 265s (as well as added weight). I'd like to keep my tires close to the price range of these two, about $160 per tire.

What do you guys think?

1VG is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.