Squeaking brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Squeaking brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
gt5oh

Squeaking brakes

I own a cert pre owned 08 liberty.. 22k miles. Fairly new to me. I noticed when coming to a slow stop my brakes squeak really loud.

This only happens when its a slow stop. If i am slowing down on the highway it does not happen, what's the common fix for this? Thanks

gt5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Check service record; were the f/r brakes replaced before your purchased it? If so, hope they used oem or better; have them checked and lubricated.
Some other posts mentioned Traction control eats up the rear brakes.

Good Luck :]
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
glsec507

im in the same boat. Just purchased mine used and they replaced all four pads and rotors among other things and I get the same slow braking screech. I had to get a new antenna as the one was broke when i bought it so when I brought it back for them to replace it I asked for them to check the brakes out. I got the lazy response "they are new so give them time". I dont ever remember having noisy brakes for 2000 miles after they were replaced.
glsec507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

That squeak is from imporperly bedding the pads,driver error and I see it all the time at work even when we tell the customer to take it easy on there brakes for about 25-50 miles.

Nothing wrong with the brakes but if you really want to try and fix it you can take the pads off,lightly scuff them with 180 grit sandpaper(to remove any glazing).Then remove the rotor and scuff both sides with 180 grit sand paper.Lube all contact points with high end brake lube(silicone only) and put back together.Then get up to about 45-50 and moderatly brake to 5mph,speed back up to 45-50mph and brake to 5mph.Do that for a total of 5 times then drive normally for 15-20mins(do not use brakes or stop) to allow them to cool and repeat once more.After that let cool over night and repeat the above 2 more times then brake normally.Do not hold brakes while stopped or pad transfer to the rotor will take place and your noise will return.
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
glsec507

Is this normal practise when replacing brakes? because I would be that 98% of the drivers out there have no clue about this but I dont hear that many noisey brakes on the roads??? is this something that will just go away over time or are we stuck with it? The brakes were replaced when the dealer took in the trade then 2 months later i bought it. so obviously they probably werent seated right from the get go
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsec507 View Post
Is this normal practise when replacing brakes? because I would be that 98% of the drivers out there have no clue about this but I dont hear that many noisey brakes on the roads??? is this something that will just go away over time or are we stuck with it? The brakes were replaced when the dealer took in the trade then 2 months later i bought it. so obviously they probably werent seated right from the get go
Yes it is and no the shop will not do it and most have stopped telling customers since they never listen anyways.Oh and you'd be amazed at how many poeple complain about squeaking brakes,see at leat 5-10 vehicles at the shop I work at each day complaining about the same issue.Unless you do what I stated your stuck with it and it will only get worse,and it was your driving style that caused the noise as you did not bed the pads correctly when you knew the brakes were replaced before you bought it.
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
glsec507

not my fault at all. almost 1500 miles were put on it between the new brakes and me first test driving it. so thats why im asking if all is lost at this point
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the front and rear pads on my wife's '09 at 30k and did the whole 180 grit sandpaper thing to scuff things up. I also used silicone brake lube on the contact points. Made it about 2000 miles before the front right started squeaking. Going to take it apart again one of these days.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You all should know that squeaking brakes is not a sign of anything wrong.Grinding brakes is the big issue,metal to metal then.Some companies even have TSB's stating squeaking brakes is 100% normal.
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
glsec507

And one hundred percent annoying

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.