Spare tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Spare tire

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
KKevin
2011 KK Liberty 

Spare tire

My 2011 KK Limited came with a donut rather than a full size spare tire. I plan to replace it with a full size. I was just wondering, will I have to replace the winch or any of the mounting hardware?

KKevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Nope, pretty sure you can get another stock KK rim and the center will come out and allow you to mount it right up.

from local MA Jeeper
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

weird, i thought full spare is part of the deal for the limited.
i have full spare. inquire with the dealer as to why urs came without it
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
KKevin
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
weird, i thought full spare is part of the deal for the limited.
i have full spare. inquire with the dealer as to why urs came without it
I assumed that it was too. this is my 3rd jeep (not including company cars that I had when I worked for Chrysler Financial) and all had full size spares.

I checked my sticker; no mention of it. I then went on the Jeep website and it turns out that a full size spare is optional equipment.

Thanks to both of you above for your input.
KKevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

With a fullsize tire as a spare, the TPMS ( tire pressure monitoring system) will still illuminate the "tire pressure lo" light.

tpms_icon.jpg

The liberty "donut" spare tire is not TPMS monitored.

If you see this TPMS icon illuminated, it means your vehicle has a low tire. STOP, and check the inflation pressure in your tires. This warning light will come on if tire pressure in any of your tires falls more than 25% below the recommended inflation pressure (refer to your owners manual, or the tire inflation decal in the glovebox, driver door pillar or gas tank filler cap lid for tire inflation pressure recommendations).

The TPMS warning light should come on for about one second when the ignition key is first turned on for a bulb check. It should then go out if all of the tires are properly inflated. If it does not go out, or it comes on while driving, you have a low tire.

NOTE: If the TPMS warning light is flashing, it indicates a fault has been detected in the TPMS system that will require further diagnosis. Common faults include a bad tire pressure sensor, a defective keyless entry receiver module, a fault in the TPMS or body control module (BCM), or wiring problems in the keyless entry/TPMS/BCM circuit.

tpms_typical.jpg
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEMS

This brings us to tire inflation monitoring systems. If motorists won't check their tires, vehicles can be equipped with their own tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). For model year 2008 and beyond, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations require all new cars and light trucks to be equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system. The TPMS system must warn the driver if the pressure inside any tire on the vehicle is 25 percent or more under the recommended inflation pressure.

Many late model cars and SUVs are factory-equipped with TPMS. Run-flat tires with a TPMS system have been used since 1989 on the Chevrolet Corvette. Other older run-flat/TPMS applications include the Plymouth Prowler, BMW Z8, Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG, 2002 Infinity Q45 and 2004 all-wheel drive Toyota Sienna.

TPMS can also be found on the following vehicles that have conventional tires: 2003 Ford Explorer, Mountaineer, and Lincoln Navigator, 2000 Cadillac Seville & DeVille, 2003 Chrysler 300M, Town & Country minivan and Dodge Viper, and Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty. Import applications include 2001 and up Audi A8 and Quattro, 2001 and up BMW M3, 2003 and up BMW 3-Series, &-series and Z4 roadster, 2000 and up Nissan Quest minivan, 2003 and up Nissan 350Z and Murano SUV, and 2004 Toyota Sienna. For model year 2008 and newer vehicles, all passenger cars and light trucks that are sold in the U.S. must be equipped with TPMS.

DIRECT & INDIRECT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORS

There are essentially two basic ways to monitor tire pressure electronically. One is the direct method. A small pressure sensor is located inside each wheel. The sensor has a built-in transponder that broadcasts a radio signal to an external module. The module identifies the signal from each wheel and keeps an eye on pressure. If pressure drops below a predetermined threshold, the module turns on a light or displays a message to warn the driver.
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

limited has an EVIC so it shows you exact pressure in every tire minus the spare. no need to manually check it
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

The Sport has the light only
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Korruptor

I didn't know that the TPMS would go off even if the spare was under inflated. maybe that's what was happening last summer. Sometimes it would go off but all my driving wheels were aired up appropriately... I'll have to check the spare.

As for the spare, my 2008 Sport build list has nothing on it for a full size spare, but I do, in fact as confirmed visually, have a full size spare.
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine came with a full spare. It's not a Limited though. It has the tow package. I think it comes with the "Trailer Tow Class III Group".
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
SCT100
2010 KK Liberty 

Or the Preferred Equipment package. The one I drive has a full-size, with the 235-size tires.

The other one has the 225 tires, and has a donut as a spare (60psi, by the way).
SCT100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Korruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan74 View Post
Mine came with a full spare. It's not a Limited though. It has the tow package. I think it comes with the "Trailer Tow Class III Group".
Ahhh, I do have the "Trailer Tow Class III Group". Maybe that's it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.