Spare key for my Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Spare key for my Liberty

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

Spare key for my Liberty

Just bought a 2011 Liberty Jet.
Need to get a spare key for it just in case.
Dealership is telling me $210, don't want to pay that if I don't have to
Any suggestions?

JeepJeepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeepx View Post
Just bought a 2011 Liberty Jet.
Need to get a spare key for it just in case.
Any suggestions?
Is the $210 for the key/cut/program or just the key?
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

Iirc the key itself is about $50-60.

Too bad you don't already have two keys because if you have two then you can do it yourself at home.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSOUSA View Post
Is the $210 for the key/cut/program or just the key?
$210 for key/cut/program
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Iirc the key itself is about $50-60.

Too bad you don't already have two keys because if you have two then you can do it yourself at home.
Yea wish I did. Unfortunately previous owner lost it
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
teckn9ne
2010 KK Liberty 

For close to that price u could buy mopar remote start and u will get 2 new keys with it cut and programed.
Silverstar Headlights,Mopar Hitch,Mopar Tow Hook,Mopar Skids,Mopar Locking Lugs,Mopar Remote Start,Factory Sirius Radio,WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats,JCROffroad Stage 3 Sliders,Hankook DynaPro RF10 LT225/75/16,Diehard Platinum P1,JBA 5.5 UCA,OME HD,
teckn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckn9ne View Post
For close to that price u could buy mopar remote start and u will get 2 new keys with it cut and programed.
It already has remote start, probably should of included that in my original post.
I don't really NEED the spare key but with my luck... lol
I don't even care if the other key can remote start the car or not who knows if it does for $210 I didn't even tell the dealership the car has remote start.
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
teckn9ne
2010 KK Liberty 

Will sounds like at the mercy of the high programming cost at dealer a spare key is important never no if lose that one or chip breaks or becomes faulty would be bad day for you.
Silverstar Headlights,Mopar Hitch,Mopar Tow Hook,Mopar Skids,Mopar Locking Lugs,Mopar Remote Start,Factory Sirius Radio,WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats,JCROffroad Stage 3 Sliders,Hankook DynaPro RF10 LT225/75/16,Diehard Platinum P1,JBA 5.5 UCA,OME HD,
teckn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
tonyggg
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Keys are not what they once were...they now include a transponder that will only work with the matching ignition. Dealership is your only option.
tonyggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

It was the same for me when I bought mine used-- it only came with 1 key. I just couldn't see spending $200+ on a second key. So I spent a few bucks and got a plain old key cut without a transponder. I keep that spare key in my desk at home, just in case I ever lock the good key in the vehicle. It just opens the doors, but has saved me at least once.
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyggg View Post
Keys are not what they once were...they now include a transponder that will only work with the matching ignition. Dealership is your only option.
I was afraid of that haha thank you
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
It was the same for me when I bought mine used-- it only came with 1 key. I just couldn't see spending $200+ on a second key. So I spent a few bucks and got a plain old key cut without a transponder. I keep that spare key in my desk at home, just in case I ever lock the good key in the vehicle. It just opens the doors, but has saved me at least once.
Yea I can't see spending that much especially after I just bought the car,registered it,insured it etc lol. I'll probably do what you did just so I can open the door if I happen to lock them in their. Then eventually get the key from the dealer ship
Thank you
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
scorpionarmor55
2010 KK Liberty 

I'd go for the extra key. if you loose your only one then pay to get it towed to the dealer and instead of just programming 1 key they'll have to produce a whole new set. Been there done that, lot of time & money wasted
scorpionarmor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

You can tape the current key under the dashboard and have regular keys made without the chip. The only issue with this is that it makes it easier for someone to steal.
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
You can tape the current key under the dashboard and have regular keys made without the chip. The only issue with this is that it makes it easier for someone to steal.
But, on the other hand you would always have a key on hand if needed in an emergancy. Of course if the doors were locked getting to the key would be another challenge.

Yet, I may use this idea on my 1999 Mustang GT. Of course for the Mustang the key is only $120 to buy and program.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.