Spacers vs Suspension Lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Spacers vs Suspension Lifts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
JeepWrestler
2011 KK Liberty 

Spacers vs Suspension Lifts

So I have been doing a lot of research on different lifts for my Liberty that I could have done. I was all set and convinced that because I am looking for a way to fit 32"s-33"s underneath, that the Econo lift would be the way to go. However, a friend of mine told me that if I am not planning on taking my Jeep off roading, then I should lift it with spacers and save about $1000 and not have to worry about messing with the gear ratios.

So far looking through pros and cons with spacers, the only cons I found were that after around 30kmi they start to sag. In which case I am assuming, worst case scenario, I could replace them.

I am not looking to take my Jeep off-roading at all (as much as I would love to), because I am a college student paying my way through, and this jeep is what I use to commute back and forth 30 miles every day.

Now that I have this new piece of advice I am leaning towards getting spacers instead of the Econo Lift because, given my position, it seems like the logical choice. Also I wouldn't have to save up and could have it done to my Jeep pretty much right away with what I have saved up so far.

Any advice before I go ahead with the spacers?

JeepWrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Alright, first things first. 32s-33s will require atleast 4" of lift, and even then they will rub. Sadly, Libertys aren't the best for stuffing large tires under it.

Secondly, before Tommudd gets to you lol, forget spacers. I'm in the same boat as you with the KK being my daily driver and going to college, the only difference is my commute is 70miles a day. On a side note, just because it's your DD doesn't mean you can't wheel it. I still take mine offroad, it just means you have to take better care of it and not try something dumb. Anyways, back to spacers. It is true, they give a nice stance and some lift for cheap when new, but as you know sag then occurs. It isn't sag in the spacer, it's sag in the springs so it isn't as simple as replacing the lift, its going all out to replace springs and shocks. Most people will tell you to go get a full spring/shock lift such as OME, Ironman, JBA, or Tommudd's Econo lift. When done right you can still get the desired lift for just a bit more than a spacer lift(most see the price of a spacer and forget about shocks after).

You mentioned gear ratios, adding lift doesn't affect that, but changing tire size does. Most agree that 245/75-16 is the largest you can go without rub on any lift. If you have a 4" lift you can squeeze 265/75-16s, but you might still rub. 245/75-16 also seems to be the best if you don't plan on regearing, but go anything bigger and you should plan on regearing.

Hope this helps, a few others will eventually stop in and give their advice lol.

Oh and I just recommend saving up for a full spring/shock lift. I've been doing it for a few months now. I just wanted to make sure I had "just in case" money after getting the lift.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Spacer lifts are just that,spacers.You still are stuck with the factory coils and shocks which start to sag at about 30k and industry standard is to change the shocks every 50k for OEM and cheaper aftermarket type shocks(monroe,KYB,and such).The shocks gradually get bad so you may not think they are bad when they really are.Shocks also have direct control over much more then just handling,they effect braking and tire wear.Adding spacers to a already worn suspension just makes it worse and it goes downhill

Now installing a full coil lift you replace the OEM stuff and if you get stuff like OME you are replacing with much higher quaility parts that will last alot longer.The ride will be much better and much safer in the long run.

It costs alot of money by going cheap to start with.
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWrestler View Post
However, a friend of mine told me that if I am not planning on taking my Jeep off roading, then I should lift it with spacers and save about $1000 and not have to worry about messing with the gear ratios.
Your friends must hate you for some reason
No friend that I know of would ever tell someone not to do a upgrade and instead make your ride worse than it is now.
You have some wacked friends
You want a good ride on and off road
Back to my wifes favorite saying, Bure aghali which translates to...cheap is expensive, (meaning do it right the first time and be done)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.