So wtf is up my with MPG!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > So wtf is up my with MPG!!!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

So wtf is up my with MPG!!!

I have an 08 KK, I changed the spark plugs, K&N air filter ran it for a week and then cleaned the air sensor in the tube from the filter to the TB, to make sure it wasn't covered in oil. The only thing I haven't done yet is Changed the fuel filter ,and the EGR..... What else could it be or can I do.....

Unread 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Gina
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is your MPG at?
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

I wanna say I am getting less then 300 miles per tank of gas for highway driving.
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
The only thing I haven't done yet is Changed the fuel filter ,and the EGR..... What else could it be or can I do.....
The fuel filter and fuel pump is made in one assembly, essentially when the fuel pump fails, you replace the fuel pump and filter when you buy that fuel pump assembly.

The EGR "usually" last the "lifetime" of the vehicle. If the ECU throws an EGR
code

Your driving habits and environment will determine you fuel economy. City driving and "lead foot" driving will get you 16 mpg.... and that is a conservative estimate.
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
andy_mitch92
1977 CJ7 

Honestly if you do any off road driving that gets dusty do yourself a favor and toss that k&n filter in the trash. I purchased one for my truck a few years ago thinking it would be a good investment.. wrong. I had been getting 13mpg mostly highway in my truck so I took out the filter and it was literally an oily muddy mess, I had cleaned it in September. Never going to buy one again. - My opinion...

Check your tire pressure, drive like you have an egg between your foot and the accelerator, etc. Only so much you can do if you just did a tune up.
andy_mitch92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
The fuel filter and fuel pump is made in one assembly, essentially when the fuel pump fails, you replace the fuel pump and filter when you buy that fuel pump assembly.

The EGR "usually" last the "lifetime" of the vehicle. If the ECU throws an EGR
code

Your driving habits and environment will determine you fuel economy. City driving and "lead foot" driving will get you 16 mpg.... and that is a conservative estimate.
I have been babying it and trying to accelerate lightly I will definitely do the math on the milage and see what I come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_mitch92 View Post
Honestly if you do any off road driving that gets dusty do yourself a favor and toss that k&n filter in the trash. I purchased one for my truck a few years ago thinking it would be a good investment.. wrong. I had been getting 13mpg mostly highway in my truck so I took out the filter and it was literally an oily muddy mess, I had cleaned it in September. Never going to buy one again. - My opinion...

Check your tire pressure, drive like you have an egg between your foot and the accelerator, etc. Only so much you can do if you just did a tune up.
I have had nothing but good things with K&N, its all on how you maintain them....
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
andy_mitch92
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
I have had nothing but good things with K&N, its all on how you maintain them....
True. I just cant see myself cleaning the thing every 3 months due to it getting clogged with dirt/dust/bugs. It all depends on where you live and what kind of roads you drive on. I bet they are great if you do all city/highway driving. I think driving around during hunting season killed it. Each ridge had bugs in it, and on top of that it was caked in mud from the oil. And it was in the stock air box housing... idk how it happened. Crazy.

Also your millage may be due to using E-10+ gas. Ethanol KILLS gas millage it seems due to its lower energy content/gallon.
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
True. I just cant see myself cleaning the thing every 3 months due to it getting clogged with dirt/dust/bugs. It all depends on where you live and what kind of roads you drive on. I bet they are great if you do all city/highway driving. I think driving around during hunting season killed it. Each ridge had bugs in it, and on top of that it was caked in mud from the oil. And it was in the stock air box housing... idk how it happened. Crazy.

Also your millage may be due to using E-10+ gas. Ethanol KILLS gas millage it seems due to its lower energy content/gallon.
My previous car was a 2007 350z with dual throttle bodies meaing two K&N's in Florida I used to get bugs and some road debris but nothing crazy. Up here in Ohio I had the one on my 04 wj for 6-7 months maybe cleaned it once maybe.. but like you said could do with terrain and what not.

I guess I didn't really think about the gas mixture. I am at 1/4 tank of gas debating if I should run her dry and see how much it takes to fillup I guess I will have a general idea regardless if its empty or full, so pissed this jeep doesn't have the mpg computer system not that it was super accurate anyway lol.
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Honestly if you do any off road driving that gets dusty do yourself a favor and toss that k&n filter in the trash. I purchased one for my truck a few years ago thinking it would be a good investment.. wrong. I had been getting 13mpg mostly highway in my truck so I took out the filter and it was literally an oily muddy mess, I had cleaned it in September. Never going to buy one again.
I clean my filter at every oil change, and I have a compressor, I clean it with compressed air. The valv cover breather is not plumped back into the intake tract. I put a filter on it.

I never use that snake oil cleaner crap. k&n should write under the word DANGER! To TPS, MAS sensor and intake system.
p1260445.jpg  
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
andy_mitch92
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
I clean my filter at every oil change, and I have a compressor, I clean it with compressed air. The valv cover breather is not plumped back into the intake tract. I put a filter on it.
I always cleaned it with the K&N brand cleaner and oil...

Quote:
I never use that snake oil cleaner crap. k&n should write under the word DANGER! To TPS, MAS sensor and intake system.
I dont know if I agree with this... The filter did its just just as well as a paper type filter keeping my mas air flow sensor clean, I checked it and it looked brand new, no oil, even with the filter completely filthy. Its just that oil traps the dirt in and the only way to clean it out is to use the cleaner. I would like to just blow it out with an air compressor if it needs to be cleaned.
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i clean mine with the cleaner, then i wash it in cold water, then i let it sit and dry for 24 hrs,then i oil it and then i install it back in. seemed to do the trick for me. works just fine. oh and now it gets only 14-15 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. with or without kn filter
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I have been babying it and trying to accelerate lightly
That right there is a major mpg killer if done all the time,builds carbon in the upper engine.Need to go out and "blow the cob webs out" once a week or so for 30-60mins.

Alos what kind of spark plugs you use? Those fancy ones do not work well in a KJ or any Chrysler engine.Plain old copper core and change them every 30k.

Just remember your driving a 4000lbs brick,don't expect good mpg's.
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
i clean mine with the cleaner, then i wash it in cold water, then i let it sit and dry for 24 hrs,then i oil it and then i install it back in. seemed to do the trick for me. works just fine. oh and now it gets only 14-15 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. with or without kn filter
I use the big ol'e air compressor blow it out real well then wash with cleaner rinse real well and let dry, and oil. Drive on it for a week pull the MAF and spray it down real good with MAF cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That right there is a major mpg killer if done all the time,builds carbon in the upper engine.Need to go out and "blow the cob webs out" once a week or so for 30-60mins.

Alos what kind of spark plugs you use? Those fancy ones do not work well in a KJ or any Chrysler engine.Plain old copper core and change them every 30k.

Just remember your driving a 4000lbs brick,don't expect good mpg's.

I shouldn't say I leave the light super easy but I don't accelerate like im in it to win it 1/4 mile style, I used platinums which the dealership and autozone... I mean it idles smoother then it did so. I dunno I guess I will see what I average.
Unread 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

I shouldn't say I leave the light super easy but I don't accelerate like im in it to win it 1/4 mile style, I used platinums which the dealership and autozone... I mean it idles smoother then it did so. I dunno I guess I will see what I average.
No Chrysler dealer will tell you to use platinums in your 3.7,copper core only for best performance from your engine.Autozone will sell spark plugs to a diesel owner if they could.
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No Chrysler dealer will tell you to use platinums in your 3.7,copper core only for best performance from your engine.Autozone will sell spark plugs to a diesel owner if they could.
Last friday, I went to autozone for my 70k "tune up" items, Since my friend has a shop account there and I have a reward card, I bought this special, along with Bosch platinums plugs for $2.99ea. (lists for $4.99 ea. The bosch platinum4+ is $7.99 ea )

p8fy11azrewardspointsupdatecircularemail4_06.jpg

I use the stock NGK plugs, but bought the Bosch platinums and my idle is a lot better
4.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.