Smoke Burnt Rubber Smell from Brake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Smoke Burnt Rubber Smell from Brake?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
mai-ling
2008 KK Liberty 

Smoke Burnt Rubber Smell from Brake?

Just got home from concerting and an errand
to feel the car acting weird and when I got out
I smelled that burnt rubber smell and smoke from
my front passenger tire.

This happened to my husband's Ford F-350,
same side. Took the tire off and rust came out.
I'm waiting for mine to cool down before I touch it.
But the rotor looks fine from the outside.

I'm guessing rusty stuff got in it? Like it did with
my husband's truck. We had a pretty hard rain the
other night I hadn't driven it since Friday.

Why Why Why does that happen?

The rotors and pads were put on August last year.
I've only put on maybe 3k miles if not even.

I am sure with all the construction stuff gets in
the wells from the construction that is going on.

mai-ling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Dirt and crud won't really do that. If the Jeep was driving weird, do you mean it felt... sluggish? My guess is that the caliper is dragging for some reason. If so, that would create enough drag to effect drive ability. Remember, despite what the press told you during the "Toyota Incident", your vehicle's brakes are strong enough to stop the vehicle even under full load acceleration. So, I would get that wheel off right away and go over those brakes real good before driving it again. The "rusty" stuff in the rim could very well be burnt brake material.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
mai-ling
2008 KK Liberty 

We just got back in from taking the tire off and rotating the rotor around. It moved freely.
There has been so much construction, rain and I was on gravel road the other day. Dust
and stuff may have gotten up there. So we cleaned everything off and looked at the other
tires. The other Driver side rims were quite dirty. So who knows. I took it out for a car wash
and then check it and it seems fine. Then drove off to home going really fast. When I got
home I checked again and no smell, no smoke and clean.

When this happened to my husband there was a rock stuck in his. Since then he hasn't had
any issues.

So hopefully I won't either.
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Good, you got lucky..

When you have time, I would still check the pads on both sides. Make sure they are the same thickness and all. Also make sure they are moving freely in the guides. Pads float, meaning that a rock could have gotten lodged in the grove when braking and locked the pad up. Trust me when I say I really think the smoke and smell you got was a roasting pad..
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
mai-ling
2008 KK Liberty 

Yeah the thickness were the same and it didn't chew up the pads or the rotors. Your right, roasting for sure on a hot day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.