Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #61
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
I never open or close my skyslider while moving. I actually only used it a couple times before it broke. That's why it is either a defective design prone to failure even with immaculate care, OR when it broke the first time (under the previous owner,) it was never repaired properly, leading to this most recent breaking.

I'm hoping its the latter. I know you and Gage, and plenty others use your skysliders without issue all the time. Maybe my problems are over with it.
Yes. There are quite a bit of HAPPY skyslider owners. I've said it 100 times but I and others appreciate your honesty you've provided us about the issue. Hopefully we can learn more about how to care for it.
It definitely could have been damaged from the previous owner. Heck, if you're not a Jeep enthusiast, how would you know anything about the skyslider? Cheers to a more positive future with your KK.

Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #62
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
I never open or close my skyslider while moving. I actually only used it a couple times before it broke. That's why it is either a defective design prone to failure even with immaculate care, OR when it broke the first time (under the previous owner,) it was never repaired properly, leading to this most recent breaking.

I'm hoping its the latter. I know you and Gage, and plenty others use your skysliders without issue all the time. Maybe my problems are over with it.
If it's 40-45 or above mine is most likely open lol. Love it, honestly been open all weekend long. I think it was the previous owner, that or you just got a bad 1. It's nice that you're being honest about it. Sorry you can't enjoy it though. Please continue to keep us updated.
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #63
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Mine was open only once this Winter.
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #64
jojosfountain

Where can you order a wind deflector for the 2012 liberty with slider roof that fits???
jojosfountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #65
Tjschatt

I heard a new one today from a five star local jeep dealer. "Our technicians are ordered to have only the customers open & close their own skysliders due to the dealer can't be responsible for them when they won't close". This is the start of them not wanting to fix it, I now just stapled it to the roof for the rainy season hoping a tree falls thru the roof so I can pay my $500 deductible and trade it.
Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #66
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjschatt View Post
I heard a new one today from a five star local jeep dealer. "Our technicians are ordered to have only the customers open & close their own skysliders due to the dealer can't be responsible for them when they won't close". This is the start of them not wanting to fix it, I now just stapled it to the roof for the rainy season hoping a tree falls thru the roof so I can pay my $500 deductible and trade it.
Wow, that's interesting to hear them say that.
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #67
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjschatt View Post
How many dealers have you been to regarding your skyslider? Are you still under any warranty?

I highly recommend that you start a new thread documenting your issues with the skyslider, if you haven't already. If nothing else, it will raise awareness and help potential buyers of skyslider-equipped Libertys to thoroughly weigh the pros and cons.. When I was in the market, I came here and searched for "skyslider." There were only a couple threads about them. Most of them were early years leaking. The one that I found which talked about the assembly being broken, I chalked up as just a neglectful owner complaining after opening/closing the roof on the highway doing 90mph. It just seemed like there was such a low probability because of the lack of complaints.

And yet, I start a thread on my problem, and I have multiple people saying that they are/have gone through the same thing. Be heard people! I might not have gone with a KK/skyslider if I saw someone going through this nightmare.

Jeep has an account here under "JeepCares." They monitor everything. Perhaps if there were multiple threads popping up by different people about their skyslider troubles then more attention would be paid. Also, make sure you call them! Be the squeaky wheel. AND POST YOUR TROUBLES ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE. Social media is huge right now, use that to your advantage. Negative reviews/feedback/comments always get more visibility. I was actually contacted by Jeep after commenting on their wall with my situation. Them making the car payment and extending my warranty stemmed not from my repeated phone calls, but from what I wrote on Facebook!

Good luck!
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #68
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

July 5th, 2014 Update:

So, less than 4 months after my last update, I am here to report that my skyslider has broken yet again. This time, while parked and under normal conditions, the sliders became misaligned in the tracks. It will no longer close or open properly, as the sides are not in alignment. Trying to get it closed only causes grinding and clacking. It is currently stuck crumpled up, leaving my interior exposed to the weather. And there's rain in the forecast. Lovely.

I'm done.
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #69
lakehimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox
How many dealers have you been to regarding your skyslider? Are you still under any warranty? I highly recommend that you start a new thread documenting your issues with the skyslider, if you haven't already. If nothing else, it will raise awareness and help potential buyers of skyslider-equipped Libertys to thoroughly weigh the pros and cons.. When I was in the market, I came here and searched for "skyslider." There were only a couple threads about them. Most of them were early years leaking. The one that I found which talked about the assembly being broken, I chalked up as just a neglectful owner complaining after opening/closing the roof on the highway doing 90mph. It just seemed like there was such a low probability because of the lack of complaints. And yet, I start a thread on my problem, and I have multiple people saying that they are/have gone through the same thing. Be heard people! I might not have gone with a KK/skyslider if I saw someone going through this nightmare. Jeep has an account here under "JeepCares." They monitor everything. Perhaps if there were multiple threads popping up by different people about their skyslider troubles then more attention would be paid. Also, make sure you call them! Be the squeaky wheel. AND POST YOUR TROUBLES ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE. Social media is huge right now, use that to your advantage. Negative reviews/feedback/comments always get more visibility. I was actually contacted by Jeep after commenting on their wall with my situation. Them making the car payment and extending my warranty stemmed not from my repeated phone calls, but from what I wrote on Facebook! Good luck!
I agree post your problems on there facebook page. I posted and jeep payed to replace the whole assembly. Although it didn't work because the first rain storm after getting it back, the skyslider leaked everywhere. I will now begin the process of trading my jeep in. I enjoy the liberty however I can not continue to drive something with so many problems. Just this past week my vents stopped working and the rear tailgate no longer locks. It only has 60,000 miles on it. I hope that you can get some resolution by using social media, I would be trying to get them to fix everything but it is just to much at this point. My jeep spends about one week a month being repaired for something.
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #70
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

July 29th, 2014 UPDATE:

My troubles with the skyslider are over. The Liberty was voluntarily bought back by Chrysler. Thats right, no lawsuit, no threatening of a lawsuit, etc. I wish there was another outcome, but Chrysler made it clear that having broken 3 separate times, and being in the shop for roughly two months, that my KK was going to cause them to lose a very loyal customer.

The KK was my third Jeep. Despite all of the nonsense, hardship, and lost time, etc, it will not be my last. I am already on the lookout for my next Jeep vehicle.

Thank you Chrysler for making things right And curse whoever greenlit the skyslider with its failure-prone design
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #71
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #72
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Now the big question is what are you replacing it with?
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #73
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Probably another kk with a SKYSLIDER. Hey they can t all break .
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #74
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

If I was buying a used Jeep again, I would have gone newer without the skyslider.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #75
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
Probably another kk with a SKYSLIDER. Hey they can t all break .
Looking into getting a Wrangler Unlimited or Cherokee Trailhawk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.