Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #46
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJ SFD View Post
Cherox- do you have the option to have them deliver your KK to you next time it's "ready"? I'd insist on them putting it on a flat bed and bringing it to you in order to save yourself the 2 hour trip. And if it's still not right, maybe they'll get fed up with the 2 hour trips themselves and fix it once and for all.
I asked them if they would/could deliver it to one of my local dealers, and they said they could not. They did not give me a reason nor explanation when I inquired further. They have no obligation to ensure my happiness. There is no "above and beyond" customer service taking place here. And there doesn't need to be in their eyes. They know that unless I trade in the KK for another vehicle there, that I will never buy from them again. Speaking of which, they offered me trade-in when I threw that idea out to the sales manager. So I stand to lose the same amount of money if I trade it to them or if I trade it elsewhere. Like I said, there is no above and beyond service at this dealer.

See, for anyone who is reading this, there are many lessons that I have learned.

Number 1 being: Don't ever buy [a warrantied vehicle] from a dealer 2 hours away.

Minor update by the way.. Friday marked 3 straight weeks of it being at the dealer.

This is a nightmare.

cherox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #47
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
I asked them if they would/could deliver it to one of my local dealers, and they said they could not. They did not give me a reason nor explanation when I inquired further. They have no obligation to ensure my happiness. There is no "above and beyond" customer service taking place here. And there doesn't need to be in their eyes. They know that unless I trade in the KK for another vehicle there, that I will never buy from them again. Speaking of which, they offered me trade-in when I threw that idea out to the sales manager. So I stand to lose the same amount of money if I trade it to them or if I trade it elsewhere. Like I said, there is no above and beyond service at this dealer.

See, for anyone who is reading this, there are many lessons that I have learned.

Number 1 being: Don't ever buy [a warrantied vehicle] from a dealer 2 hours away.

Minor update by the way.. Friday marked 3 straight weeks of it being at the dealer.

This is a nightmare.
I know you're ticked off, but still try to be positive somehow.
I usually don't make drastic statements like this, but at this point, they should offer you another KK. Any info on what their next fix will be to it?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #48
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
I know you're ticked off, but still try to be positive somehow.
I usually don't make drastic statements like this, but at this point, they should offer you another KK. Any info on what their next fix will be to it?
Gage, when I was shopping around for my next vehicle, I was looking for that "open air" experience, as I am really looking forward to traveling the country. The KK seemed to offer Wrangler-like openness at the push of a switch at a fraction of the cost..

I don't want another KK, with or without the skyslider. I may have bought someone else' lemon, or the dealer might've never fixed it right. Either way, it has left me with little faith in the design and longevity. It just isn't worth the risk. I mean, even if I had a warranty forever on the skyslider, I can't deal with being without my vehicle for a month every time it breaks. (Its still at the dealer right now. Tomorrow will be day 27)

I am considering my options to unload the KK. I am going to lose thousands upon trade. (*Which, mind you, was never a thought to me, as I usually keep my vehicles until they are worth pennies on the dollar.) On top of that, I am looking at JKU's, which as I'm sure you're aware, can quickly approach $40k when you option them out liberally.

I will continue to update this thread as I have new info. Thanks for the support. This really, really sucks.
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #49
Tjschatt

I have to agree with everything you wrote. I also was planning on keeping the KK until payed off, but know it is just a money pit with a crappy design option that unfortunately is going to be a re-occurring problem for the life of the vehicle. I have yet to speak to one sky slider owner who said they fixed it and never had a problem. I also feel bad knowing some unsuspecting jeep buyer will be purchasing both our vehicles and having the same issues. Hopefully won't almost cause a divorce like mine.
Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #50
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I've never heard of a shop/dealer keeping a vehicle that long. Give us some good news next time!
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #51
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Update:

I brought the Jeep home last night. I used the skyslider several times both at the dealer and then at home. It seems to be functioning (for now.) The new headliner is clean. They also buffed out the scratches that they put in the paint near the roof.

I'll admit, after 27 days of not having it, I am glad to have it back. It rides like a dream compared to the 2013 Jeep Compass FWD base model rental that I've been buzzing around in for the last month.

I truly don't know where to go from here. I had big plans for this Jeep.. Pay it off in under 3 years, lift it, mod the crap out of it, and then keep it for 10+ years.. I literally have a stack of parts that I bought myself over the holidays that need to go on it still (JK Moabs, ATH Recovery System, Drake Shift Knob, etc.)

I feel like I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't. If I get out of this, I lose $3-4,000 right off the bat due to resale. And if I get into what I want (a new JKU Sahara or similar,) I am financing at least another $15,000 or more. That kinda puts a damper on my paid off timeline.

I would love for Jeep to come up with some kind of replacement for the skyslider assembly. The design just seems prone to failure. If I had bought this Jeep ten years from now for dirt cheap, I'd have no problem retrofitting some kind of semi-permanent roof onto it (think of the new Renegade with the two removable panels.)

As always, I will keep you updated. Hopefully my next update to this thread is either "Just used my skyslider all summer and it worked flawlessly", and not "Well, it broke again."

Quote:
I've never heard of a shop/dealer keeping a vehicle that long. Give us some good news next time!
Neither have I. Hopefully thats the last of that.
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #52
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm glad to hear you have some resolution (for now at least). I hear you when you wonder about keeping the Jeep for the long haul. I hope they did a quality job replacing whatever components were broken, and I'd hate to think of what it would have cost if you were out of warranty. I think if it breaks again, I'd go for a manual roof, either removable panels or a manual-opening canvas roof like they use on hot rods. I know you said you were thinking of trading up to a JK if you could afford it, but you could trade it for a hardtop KK for less of a net loss and still be able to use your lift and keep the new KK for 10+ years. It sounds like you really like the way the KK handles, and it is always going to be a lot nicer to ride in than a JK. Sorry you have to make this decision after your month long ordeal with the sky slider.
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #53
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Your other option is disconnect the switch for the skyslider,tell yourself its a fixed soft top and keep it as is until you are in the positive as far as $$$ is concerned then plug the switch back and trade it for a real hard top kk.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #54
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the update. Maybe it says on your receipt what they had to do to it?
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #55
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Maybe it says on your receipt what they had to do to it?
They removed the entire original assembly, per Chrysler, and replaced it with a new unit. Tracks, motors, canvas, weatherstripping, etc. Then, they put in a new module. Finally, they put in a new headliner after destroying the original.
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #56
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

I would just hang on to it if I were you. This is such a rare case and I have to believe this work is warrantied. Just remember to never open or close it at speeds greater than 25-30 MPH. That's what I do, any faster and I have heard clicking noises a couple times. Kinda freaks me out but I'm going to make sure to grease it all up this spring and cross my fingers. I love my skyslider
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #57
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
I would just hang on to it if I were you. This is such a rare case and I have to believe this work is warrantied. Just remember to never open or close it at speeds greater than 25-30 MPH. That's what I do, any faster and I have heard clicking noises a couple times. Kinda freaks me out but I'm going to make sure to grease it all up this spring and cross my fingers. I love my skyslider
If you beat me to it greasing it, please post some pictures. I've got that on my to do list.
Unread 03-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #58
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

10-4
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #59
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
If you beat me to it greasing it, please post some pictures. I've got that on my to do list.
x2
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #60
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
I never open or close my skyslider while moving. I actually only used it a couple times before it broke. That's why it is either a defective design prone to failure even with immaculate care, OR when it broke the first time (under the previous owner,) it was never repaired properly, leading to this most recent breaking.

I'm hoping its the latter. I know you and Gage, and plenty others use your skysliders without issue all the time. Maybe my problems are over with it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.