Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #31
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Did you get it back yet? I'd take some pictures of anything obvious they did when you get it back.
UPDATE:

No, as of right now I do not have it back, though I just got the call today that it is finished. When they installed the new skyslider assembly, they noticed that a piece of it had a crack in it. They had to special order that piece and thats what they put in today. I will likely be driving down there on Saturday to pick it up.

An interesting side note.. I received an unexpected call from Chrysler on Monday. The woman I spoke with was not from "customer cares," but some sort of management. She apologized up and down and asked me if I would like them to make a car payment or some other form of goodwill due to my unfortunate situation. I told her about my concerns.. My biggest being the cost of this repair once I'm out of warranty. She extended my warranty from the standard 3/36k to 7/100k and assured me that if I have an issue with the skyslider again to call her directly.

I asked her if her reaching out to me was in response to my facebook post on Jeep's wall (a cliffnotes version of my problem,) and she said yes. So, moral of that story.. If you want to be heard, take advantage of social media. I do feel a lot better now that the company reached out to me after initially telling me "there's nothing we can do."

We'll see where this goes. I will update again once I have the Jeep back.

cherox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #32
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the update. I still hope this all works when you get it back. You're only going to be twice as mad if it happens again. Pretty nice of them to extend the warranty.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #33
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

UPDATE:

The nightmare continues..

So, I received a phone call on wednesday from the selling/servicing dealer that my Liberty was ready to go! I asked him if they tested the skyslider thoroughly because I didn't want to drive for 2 hours to get down there and have it not work. I was assured that it worked, as they had been operating it back and forth for 10 minutes straight without issue.

Saturday (yesterday) comes along. Me and my brother make the two hour drive. We walk straight into the service department and grab the key from the service adviser. We find the Jeep on their lot out back and inspect the exterior. It has a couple new long hairline scratches in the paint near the roof.. I open the door and sit inside. The first thing I notice is a tear in the headliner directly under the maplight assembly. Looking around, I also notice grease marks and finger prints on the headliner assembly. We walk back in and talk to the service adviser. She comes and takes pictures, and says she'll have to talk to the service manager on Monday about ordering the part. We go back outside and start the Jeep. I hold my breath as I push the Auto button to open the skyslider. It starts to open, then promptly stops. Instead of potentially breaking it since obviously something is wrong, we walk back in and talk to the service adviser. She gets a technician to come out with us and try to use the skyslider in the parking lot. He gets it to open once, and then closes it. Then it wont open. Neither of the auto buttons work. So, he brings it in to see what the computer says. He comes back a few minutes later and informs us that the old module was not coming out of initialization mode and was incompatible with the new skyslider. He needs to order the part on Monday. We took the rental home. I'm at a loss for words here. Two hour rides aside, I've felt bad vibes from this dealer as soon as I sat down with the salesman before the test drive (Had the skyslider not been so rare, I would've walked; but after months and months of searching, I dismissed my gut feelings. Hindsight is definitely 20/20 here. ) You would think that with them knowing Chrysler is involved, that they would be meticulous and:
  1. Make sure the part that is being serviced is actually replaced before you make someone drive two hours for nothing; and
  2. Take a little bit of extra care to not damage someones property.
  3. If you are going to replace the entire skyslider, wouldn't it make sense to replace the module that controls it too?

I am at a loss for words right now. To think that my Jeep is in the hands of these people is certainly disheartening. All of a sudden, Chrysler's offer of extending my warranty doesn't do anything for my confidence..
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #34
Tjschatt

Thanks for the update but Unfortunately that same story happens to most people with skysliders. I think you will realize soon that the option is to not keep the vehicle considering they will never fix them correctly and no dealership knows how to or even wants to mess with them. I am now in the process of fixing and then trading in my beloved liberty due to this malfunctioning nightmare hole in the roof. Good luck and keep is updated.
Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #35
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm glad you were smart enough to notice these things.
Hopefully this is the last of the batch of bad news.
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #36
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjschatt View Post
Thanks for the update but Unfortunately that same story happens to most people with skysliders. I think you will realize soon that the option is to not keep the vehicle considering they will never fix them correctly and no dealership knows how to or even wants to mess with them. I am now in the process of fixing and then trading in my beloved liberty due to this malfunctioning nightmare hole in the roof. Good luck and keep is updated.
I am afraid I will be pursuing the same course of action. This doesn't seem like its ever going to be resolved. Its a shame. I love my Liberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
I'm glad you were smart enough to notice these things.
Hopefully this is the last of the batch of bad news.
Me too. I am really anal about this type of stuff. If my property is going to be damaged, it better damn well have resulted from me damaging it. Not some careless technician at a Jeep dealer.
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #37
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I really hope this all gets fixed. I have sky slider, too and of course fear for what may happen one day.
I hear ya on damaging property. I don't even like people looking at my Libby.
Once again, thanks and keep us updated and hope for the best. Good luck.
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #38
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Just took mine to Frontier Jeep here in Lubbock. They wanted $7500 to repair the cables. Not only no but Hell no.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #39
Tjschatt

I spoke to 2 more engineer's and both said to get rid of the vehicle or take it to a body shop and have them weld a piece of metal across the roof. I have an email in to bestop engineers, if they also can't help I am trading in the jeep and will let someone else deal with this sky slider junk. What a shame an American auto manufacturer would ignore it customers needs just because it would cost then too much to fix it.
Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #40
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Too bad you couldn't replace it with a manual opening roof, like on older Mini's in Europe, rather than welding or selling. It seems like I remember some friends of Tommudd built up a SFA KJ for an overland competition last year, and they added what looks like a manual opening skyslider-like roof on their KJ. You could PM him and see what they used.
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #41
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Too bad you couldn't replace it with a manual opening roof, like on older Mini's in Europe, rather than welding or selling. It seems like I remember some friends of Tommudd built up a SFA KJ for an overland competition last year, and they added what looks like a manual opening skyslider-like roof on their KJ. You could PM him and see what they used.
That's the BDS rig. The soft top is used by a lot of hotrodders. A lot of options out there for them.
Unread 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #42
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Yes, that is the one I was thinking of! The BDS KJ. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...74599&start=80
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #43
jojosfountain

The wind noise is worse then my convertible is this normal???
jojosfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #44
lakehimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosfountain
The wind noise is worse then my convertible is this normal???
Well if there is a crosswind it can be pretty noisy. If it's a calm day it's not so bad, on mine when I get up to about 70mph it's pretty bad and at 80mph it's downright awful.
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #45
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Cherox- do you have the option to have them deliver your KK to you next time it's "ready"? I'd insist on them putting it on a flat bed and bringing it to you in order to save yourself the 2 hour trip. And if it's still not right, maybe they'll get fed up with the 2 hour trips themselves and fix it once and for all.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.