Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Skyslider NOT opening; grinding noise

Hey guys, today I opened my skyslider roof to enjoy the first day above 45 degrees in months. When I went to close it, it closed about 95% of the way, but the back part didnt come down flat. So I hit close again.. Nothing. So I hit Auto, and the rest of it came down flush like its supposed to be. Nervous of something being wrong, I hit Auto again to see if it would open. Nothing. I hit the other Auto, and it made a horrible click-clacking noise in the back of the skyslider without anything moving. I hit close, and it made the same noise..

I only pressed each button a couple more times for fear of breaking it anymore. I only bought the Liberty back in September. It was sold to me as certified preowned. (service records at the dealer showed that the skyslider tracks were replaced once before.) I think I'm in trouble because I can't easily make it back to the dealer I bought from (about 100 miles away.) Will my local dealer honor the warranty? Is my skyslider even covered under warranty?

Has anyone had this happen before? How much of a nightmare is it?

For the record, I have only opened the skyslider a handful of times since I purchased it, and NEVER opened or closed it while in motion. I was hoping that with proper care that I would be able to stay away from these kind of problems.

HELP!

cherox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Knock on wood, mine has been problem free. What year KK and how many miles? Not sure about warranty stuff, but if you ever need to you can close the top manually. I think it's in the manual, but you have to work the motor yourself in the back.
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
Knock on wood, mine has been problem free. What year KK and how many miles? Not sure about warranty stuff, but if you ever need to you can close the top manually. I think it's in the manual, but you have to work the motor yourself in the back.
2012, just hit 20,000 miles. I've been fishing through all the paperwork I got when I bought it to see if I have a copy of the Certified Pre-Owned warranty. I should take a look at the manual. I guess I should be grateful that mine is stuck closed and not open.

I'm almost thinking I should disconnect the batter and then reconnect to reset the module. Because only the forward facing AUTO button and the close button make the noise. The rearward facing AUTO button doesn't do anything. So perhaps the skyslider thinks it is open instead of closed and that is why I'm getting the issue.

I should mention that nothing is visibly broken. The skyslider sits flush to the roof like it should. Perhaps this is not mechanical and just electrical? I will keep you updated regardless. Thank you for the reply.
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Tjschatt

The skyslider is one of the worst jeep/Chrysler bait and junk options ever. From the surveys I have looked at and the issues that are apparent, 95% of skysliders will break at some point even if lightly used. I spoke to an engineer on the design team of the skyslider and all it was used for was to boost sales of a company that was going bankrupt. They new the weak structural design and the horrible aerodynamics would be a nightmare in the future but the company was not planning I ever fixing them outside of warrant unless the customer paid. Most dealerships quote an outrageous price just because there techs don't or can't possibly fix them correctly.even after completely replacing them they will still break. One of the reasons I bought my KK was for the skyslider and now I am afraid to open or even touch it!! Good luck and I hope you can get it working. Let us know if it leaks after the malfunction in the rain?
Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
kxeddiexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post

2012, just hit 20,000 miles. I've been fishing through all the paperwork I got when I bought it to see if I have a copy of the Certified Pre-Owned warranty. I should take a look at the manual. I guess I should be grateful that mine is stuck closed and not open.

I'm almost thinking I should disconnect the batter and then reconnect to reset the module. Because only the forward facing AUTO button and the close button make the noise. The rearward facing AUTO button doesn't do anything. So perhaps the skyslider thinks it is open instead of closed and that is why I'm getting the issue.

I should mention that nothing is visibly broken. The skyslider sits flush to the roof like it should. Perhaps this is not mechanical and just electrical? I will keep you updated regardless. Thank you for the reply.
3 yr 36k warranty. You are still covered whether you are the first owner or not. I would take it to local jeep dealer and they have to fix it. I would call Chrysler customer care and have them document the issue so you cover yourself of any negligence. I take mine to multiple dealers that are closer to me at the time. They all honor the warranty. But calling Chrysler before going in always helps. They even hook u up with loaner Gluck
kxeddiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjschatt View Post
One of the reasons I bought my KK was for the skyslider and now I am afraid to open or even touch it!! Good luck and I hope you can get it working. Let us know if it leaks after the malfunction in the rain?
The skyslider is the only reason I went for a KK. I will post my results here.
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxeddiexp View Post
3 yr 36k warranty. You are still covered whether you are the first owner or not. I would take it to local jeep dealer and they have to fix it. I would call Chrysler customer care and have them document the issue so you cover yourself of any negligence. I take mine to multiple dealers that are closer to me at the time. They all honor the warranty. But calling Chrysler before going in always helps. They even hook u up with loaner Gluck
I called Chrysler Customer Care per your suggestion and they started to document the issue. They requested that I call back once I have the diagnosis. I asked her how the loaner program works and she said that I'd have to discuss that with my dealer as it depends entirely on the diagnosis and how long it takes to fix.

I am very new to this. I've never had a warranty (previous Jeeps were 89 XJ and 96 ZJ well out of warranty when I owned them) so I'm not sure what to expect. Will it really cost me nothing? No deductible or anything?
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:

Mine did the same thing. Disconnect the battery for a few hours and it should work fine again. Mine did the same thing. It had dust in the tracks from a sandstorm we had here in Lubbock.
taylorgrandorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgrandorf View Post
Mine did the same thing. Disconnect the battery for a few hours and it should work fine again. Mine did the same thing. It had dust in the tracks from a sandstorm we had here in Lubbock.
Got overanxious after your post gave me a glimmer of hope.. Had my battery disconnected for no more than 20 minutes before I went and tried it. Fail. You did say a few hours not a few minutes. I will try to reconnect it before I go to sleep tonight. That should give it 3-4 hours. Is there an actual science behind the timeframe? Like the computer loses all stored juice after x amount of time or something?

Last edited by cherox; 02-02-2014 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Got overanxious after your post gave me a glimmer of hope.. Had my battery disconnected for no more than 20 minutes before I went and tried it. Fail. You did say a few hours not a few minutes. I will try to reconnect it before I go to sleep tonight. That should give it 3-4 hours. Is there an actual science behind the timeframe? Like the computer loses all stored juice after x amount of time or something?
No real science as far as I know. Mine was almost a grinding sounds. It's possible yours is something else.
taylorgrandorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgrandorf View Post
No real science as far as I know. Mine was almost a grinding sounds. It's possible yours is something else.
Yeah clicking is not the best way to describe it. Its more of a binding sound.
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjschatt
The skyslider is one of the worst jeep/Chrysler bait and junk options ever. From the surveys I have looked at and the issues that are apparent, 95% of skysliders will break at some point even if lightly used. I spoke to an engineer on the design team of the skyslider and all it was used for was to boost sales of a company that was going bankrupt. They new the weak structural design and the horrible aerodynamics would be a nightmare in the future but the company was not planning I ever fixing them outside of warrant unless the customer paid. Most dealerships quote an outrageous price just because there techs don't or can't possibly fix them correctly.even after completely replacing them they will still break. One of the reasons I bought my KK was for the skyslider and now I am afraid to open or even touch it!! Good luck and I hope you can get it working. Let us know if it leaks after the malfunction in the rain?
When you said that you spoke to a Chrysler Engineer about sky slider you mentioned the Lib had a weak structural design. Were you referring to the design sky slider or entire chassis?
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

That sky slider seems more high maintenance than my girlfriend.

glad I don't have one, can't affort more high maintenance than this.
Unread 02-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Well I left the battery disconnected for about 3 hours. Reconnected it and tried my luck. Same issue. I have been doing a lot of research regarding the matter. On another forum someone suggested that there is a tsb for the AUTO feature failing and needing to be replaced..

Honestly, it doesn't look like there is anything misaligned, at least visibly. I really feel like it is an electronic issue, where the computer somehow is reading that the skyslider is open all the way. That would be one way to interpret the binding of the motor when trying to close whats already closed. It would also explain the AUTO rearward not working as it already thinks the skyslider is open.

Bringing it to the dealer tomorrow morning. Will report back with my results.
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Just talked to my local dealer.. The track is mangled and they don't want to touch it because the dealer I bought it from repaired it originally. Local dealer says it looks like the previous repair was not done properly. Advised me to go to my selling dealer to get it repaired.

So I called Chrysler Customer Care. They were very nice but "could do nothing" for me. The woman I spoke to made the phone calls to both dealerships to get the stories straight and assured me that everything was being documented. She advised me to bring the vehicle to the selling dealer so that they can take a look at it and send pictures in.

This is a nightmare. Its my fault for A. Buying from a dealer so far away and B. Trusting the salesman when he said any dealer could service any warranty issues with the Jeep as it was certified pre-owned.. even the skyslider...

I have to take Friday off to bring the Jeep down to the selling dealer. Will keep you posted.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.