JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   SkySlider - any issues (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/skyslider-any-issues-973161/)

YellowDuck 02-16-2010 12:14 PM

SkySlider - any issues

Hi folks -

How does everyone here feel about the SkySlider roof? I like it in theory but am worried about leaks and, especially, noise on the highway at 70-75 mph. What has been your experience?

jeepster09 02-16-2010 07:49 PM

sky slider roof

I have an 09 KK Limited w/ sky slider. absolutely love it. no leaks period, I have gone thru the car wash during the winter here in Mich. numerous times with no problems. I just drove 1500 miles down to Florida, no excessive wind noise issues at any speed. it is no more noisy than our Sebring convertible, a little road noise ( to be expected with a cloth roof). Once down in the sun and warm weather, I am very glad to have that option on my Jeep, worth every penny IMO.

09_Silver 02-19-2010 12:04 PM

I absolutely love the sky-slider roof! Same with me, no issues at all. The road noise is not bad at all in my opinion. It's like being able to take the top off your Jeep and put it back on with the push of a button. Best feature ever! I think the 08's had some issues with leaks and needed some adjustments by the dealer, but no one I know of has had any issues with the 09's.

rugsucka 02-20-2010 10:29 AM

My wife's '08 has had several wind noise issues with hers.

-wind noise - above 55mph - outside rubber trim was very hard/stiff - lifted away from roof line, dealer replaced with a more pliable rubber gasket/trim piece - holds roof line much better - noise reduced.

-inside headliner peeled away from front bow - was attached with an adhesive that when under the hot sun went soft and peeled away - repaired under warranty - good now.

-wind noise back- adjusted and lubricated some cables, performed TSB repair - wind noise went away - except into a headwind above 55mph.

-wind noise - back above 45-50mph - back into dealer - front bow 'bent' - did someone try and close the sky slider when travelling above 45mph? they asked. Replaced bow, and flashed software to '09/'10 program that will not let you close the roof if travelling above a set speed. - apparently if it's open at hwy speed that's ok, but closing at that speed farks with the frame due to wind.

-the wind leak noise is gone - although it's only been 2 weeks. I'm sure the program change will help future damage, and the only noise I hear is 'thru' the material and minor, not an annoying wind leak.

I have not had a great experience with the slider, but then again the first model year of any vehicle has it's issues. The feedback that I read from '09 Liberty's leads me to think they have this retractable roof 'covered' now. My local dealership has backed the product without pushing back, so that keeps my blood pressure in check. I wish they would detail the headliner now, because after all this frigging around, there are multiple smudges on the light gray fabric.

The suspension is improved vs. the '08 now too - less bouncy, rolly polly.

lukes 03-01-2010 01:38 AM

I just stumbled across this forum in an attempt to find out if anyone else has a problem with a noisy sky slider and from what I've found, I'm not alone.
I only just purchased a 2009 KK two weeks ago and only yesterday took it on the open road for the first time- I'm not impressed. This car is a brand new 2009 run out model which hasn't even been in for it's first service. I contacted the dealer only to be told " that's the first time I've heard of that" that response doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Hope they can sort it out quickly.

gb0413 03-01-2010 10:52 AM

i just got a '10 KK with the skyslider on friday and so far i love it. The wind noise when it is closed is minimal to non existant, you'll only hear anything if you turn the radio off and concentrate on listening for it, but thats a small price to pay for such a great feature! Can't really talk about leaks but i've never heard of that happening before, when you open it up it's great

lukes 03-01-2010 12:10 PM

It is a great feature, I only wish I'd spent the extra $ and waited another 6 weeks for the 2010 models to arrive.

rugsucka 03-01-2010 06:33 PM

It's been about a month since the reflash of the software, and replacement of the front bow.

Yesterday on the highway, all I notice is the sound of wind along the fabric, it's not loud, and certainly not the wind leak noise like the previous (alleged) fixes.

I have given the slider a pass for now, but you know what they say about first impressions - I'm not sure I'll ever really trust the fix is permanent.

matt1u2 03-02-2010 04:01 PM

Noisy sky slider

My wife has 08 and we went thru the same problem with noise. There was a recall shortly after purchaseing the vehicle. It did not fix the problem. I took it to the dealership in 12/09 because the noise was real bad on the high way.

Not sure what they fixed but we get minimal noise now on the highway. We are very happy with the slider now.

Keep pressuring the dealer, there is a fix.

lukes 03-02-2010 10:13 PM

Thanks Guys, I've booked the KK in for it's first service on Friday ( ah, they grow up so fast don't they :) ) and the service manager has said they'll take a look at it then. I've already told him that there is apparently a fix for this problem which he is investigating further. I wish I knew exactly what the fix entails, oh well, I'll find out soon enough I suppose. Thanks again.
Cheers, Luke

rugsucka 03-03-2010 06:01 PM

there is a technical service bulletin, and also a reflash of the program

the tsb takes care of the design issue, the reflash prevents you from trying to close the slider when travelling over 60mph - this is what causes the front bow to bend and leak air in.

try quoting this tsb : TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-013-08 it may be updated now, but it will point the dealership in the right direction if they play dumb about never hearing about slider issues.

be patient and firm and you will be able to talk on the highway.

lukes 03-04-2010 02:06 AM

Thanks I'll take that number with me tomorrow, at least I'll look like I know what I'm talking about.

gb0413 03-04-2010 10:42 AM

i made a rule that anytime the temp hits 40 degrees or above(from michigan), the skyslider goes open

lukes 03-04-2010 11:46 PM

Well the first service went off without a hitch- not much to that one I suppose and they took note of the TSB and ordered in the parts for the fix. Delivery is 5 to 7 business days over here so I have a little wait but I'm not complaining, at least they're not giving me the run around, now, as long as they are competent mechanics, I shouldn't have a problem- fingers crossed...

rugsucka 03-06-2010 09:40 AM

The last fix included the reflash - so ensure they do that update so you can't close it and bend that front bow again.

I'm glad you are getting good service from your dealership. My wife works for the son of a dealership owner so I know we have a little more traction here, but I also believe Chryco is aware of the fact that people are expecting them to provide to survive.

The time now is 04:52 AM.