Sky Slider or Not?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Sky Slider or Not??

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Inara4
2012 KK Liberty 

Sky Slider or Not??

Hey All, I went to the dealer yesterday to pick out my 2012 Liberty and I'm very indecisive about the Sky Slider or a plain Sun Roof. Opinions on the Sky Slider?? Any bad reviews (leakage, wind noise, etc). They dealer has both held for me so I can officially make my decision...Thanks!!

Inara4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
BloodyShadow23
2008 KK Liberty 

The only problem on my 08 is the wind noise. At speeds around 40-50 mph you notice it and then around 60+ you really notice it. The winters here in CO are brutal and I'm happy to say I don't have any leaks form water. The only thing is that the water may warm the edge of the sky slider so the wind noise increases. But having a convertible jeep during the summer is pretty much priceless too. I love it.
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I love it. I got the truck in late August, and have used it every day until the end of December. As long as temperatures are over 35-40 and it's not raining, the top is open lol. So far no problems. There is a little bit of noise, but it isn't bad. There are "fixes", but I haven't tried them yet. If you owned a convertible, then you would be used to the noise. It's nothing turning up the radio can't fix.

Tl;dr, just get the skyslider, you won't regret it.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Love our sky slider..id say get it you'll love it
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I think I am the only Jeep Liberty owner who does not care for the Skyslider. I had read some post about air and water leaks which was enough to keep me away. I also did not like the idea of a wide open ejection port in the event of a roll over. Nor any loss in structural strength.
I do have the power sunroof on my 2011 KK. Not because I wanted it, but because it was there and the selection of 70th Anniversary Editions was pretty slim. I do pull the shade back to let the sun shine in. I have been know to pop it up for ventilation. I have even run with it open a time or two, but it also comes with some noise increase.
The power sunroof does offer three different position, closed, pop open for vent, or full open. Or closed but the interior side pulled back for a view with not having to open the roof.
The skyslider offers a full open view and wind experiance or closed with wind noise. It also pretty much deletes any real application of a useable roof rack system.
Either way you go, you'll have a Liberty and that is the best part of all choices.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I think I am the only Jeep Liberty owner who does not care for the Skyslider. I had read some post about air and water leaks which was enough to keep me away. I also did not like the idea of a wide open ejection port in the event of a roll over. Nor any loss in structural strength.
I do have the power sunroof on my 2011 KK. Not because I wanted it, but because it was there and the selection of 70th Anniversary Editions was pretty slim. I do pull the shade back to let the sun shine in. I have been know to pop it up for ventilation. I have even run with it open a time or two, but it also comes with some noise increase.
The power sunroof does offer three different position, closed, pop open for vent, or full open. Or closed but the interior side pulled back for a view with not having to open the roof.
The skyslider offers a full open view and wind experiance or closed with wind noise. It also pretty much deletes any real application of a useable roof rack system.
Either way you go, you'll have a Liberty and that is the best part of all choices.
Sky Slider WITH Roof Rack -

huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
You're not the only one! I had an 09 Liberty with the Sky Slider and while it was working I loved it, but as soon as I had one problem with it then it was in every couple of months for an adjustment or repair. I got so sick of it after about 6 times into the dealership I just decided to trade it for one with no sunroof. So far I haven't missed it too much. I REALLY don't miss worrying about it not closing again after having opened it especially on long road trips with my family where we are not near a dealership. We almost got caught a couple of times. I think, however, that my experience is not typical of most with the sky sliders. Just be aware that there is potential for problems and the dealerships don't seem to have a lot of experience with them.
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Sky Slider WITH Roof Rack -

Not bad! How'd you manage that?
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

OK, yes you can get a roof rack installed, however on a number of applications there is not enough clearance for the slider to retract open if the crossbars are installed on the roof rails..
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Rocky Road roof rails and cross bars. Just rip off the old plastic 'rails' and bolt on the new ones. Of course I take off the cross bars in the summer to use the top.

Rocky Road also makes rails specific for the skyslider so you can open it even with the crossbars on.. but it's tall and looks kinda ridiculous

Unread 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
bowlsie
2013 JK Wrangler 

We had a skyslider on our 08 and it was horrible. I liked it for what it was but other than that I didn't care for it.
Several occasions the thing would not close at all. Dealer replaced a module or something and started doing the same thing within a months time.
I also started thinking into the future with the problems I was already having, the thought of being out of warranty and having something go wrong didn't do much for me. Also, just like any convertible one day the top material will have to be replaced and that is not cheap.

2013 JKU
1988 YJ Laredo
bowlsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

You can open the skyslider partially.... I've done it. There's closed, open with it folded in back, open with it folded in front (I never do this, I like my sky and breeze lol) and you can open it partially to whatever size or area you want. So if you just want the front seats open you slide it back to where you want, or you can just open the back seats.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I don't have anything with my '11. Wish I had a sunroof something fierce. Maybe on my Liberty's 15th birthday I'll turn it into a convertible! Lol
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
BloodyShadow23
2008 KK Liberty 

OH!! And I one more thing. Don't take it through a high power auto washer. I took mine through one and the dryer at the end lifted up the roof and sprayed the dirty water into my car. So be mindful of that if you decide to get it.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyShadow23 View Post
OH!! And I one more thing. Don't take it through a high power auto washer. I took mine through one and the dryer at the end lifted up the roof and sprayed the dirty water into my car. So be mindful of that if you decide to get it.
LOL. I have never had this issue with mine but that is kinda funny picturing it...

Only issue I have had with car wash is the touchless wash always makes my ESP and 4WD lights come on when I pull away (weird). I restart the car and they turn off.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.