Side Airbags deployed.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Chereveco
2008 KK Liberty 

Garage
Side Airbags deployed....

Hi, there

Today the most crazy thing happened ( If I could say )...

I was with the mechanic this morning, replacing the parking brake lever.
Power Outlet, 4WD controller, and parking brake lever sensor cable all disconnected.

At a certain point we started the engine to move the car.

The rear gate was open, I closed it but like I normally do, then like 3 seconds later the side air bags deployed...

Before of that, I have to admit that a month ago the airbag warning light lit and remained on... didn't have time to take it to a dealers shop and scan the thing out...

Could it be the slamming of the rear gate that deployed the airbags, or was it the sum of all things.?

Luckily that a good friend of mine is in the USA, and he will try to get all the parts from a junk yard...

By mid November the cargo could be here...

What I'm afraid here is that if I just disconnect the battery and install the hole thing to the car, what will happen at the moment I reconnect the battery. Knowing that the light was on before the blow.

What will be the procedure?

Regards...

Neil Cordoba de Jongh
Costa Rica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Chereveco
2008 KK Liberty 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chereveco View Post
Hi, there

Today the most crazy thing happened ( If I could say )...

I was with the mechanic this morning, replacing the parking brake lever.
Power Outlet, 4WD controller, and parking brake lever sensor cable all disconnected.

At a certain point we started the engine to move the car.

The rear gate was open, I closed it but like I normally do, then like 3 seconds later the side air bags deployed...

Before of that, I have to admit that a month ago the airbag warning light lit and remained on... didn't have time to take it to a dealers shop and scan the thing out...

Could it be the slamming of the rear gate that deployed the airbags, or was it the sum of all things.?

Luckily that a good friend of mine is in the USA, and he will try to get all the parts from a junk yard...

By mid November the cargo could be here...

What I'm afraid here is that if I just disconnect the battery and install the hole thing to the car, what will happen at the moment I reconnect the battery. Knowing that the light was on before the blow.

What will be the procedure?

Regards...
Pictures:

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Neil Cordoba de Jongh
Costa Rica
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 05:09 PM
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Oh man. The air bag sensor/switch that sets them off in a crash is located right behind the parking brake lever. So if you had the center console apart and worked on things there, like the 4wd switch and the parking brake lever, it's possible you inadvertently did something to the air bag sensor. It's a black plastic box just behind the parking brake lever. I bet slamming the liftgate was the trigger but not the main cause. Was the vehicle battery disconnected while you were working? Disconnecting it is always a good idea when working in there near the sensor or any of the airbags.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic

post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Chereveco
2008 KK Liberty 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Oh man. The air bag sensor/switch that sets them off in a crash is located right behind the parking brake lever. So if you had the center console apart and worked on things there, like the 4wd switch and the parking brake lever, it's possible you inadvertently did something to the air bag sensor. It's a black plastic box just behind the parking brake lever. I bet slamming the liftgate was the trigger but not the main cause. Was the vehicle battery disconnected while you were working? Disconnecting it is always a good idea when working in there near the sensor or any of the airbags.
Thanks,

In the beginning it was disconnected, but reconnected to move the car, the module was unscrewed, not disconnected.

We put altogether as it didn't blow up.

but drivers seat belt is damaged. Almost destroyed it to unroll and plug it in to appear like I'm wearing it properly. So no tickets...

Facing two months at least for the parts to get down here....

Neil Cordoba de Jongh
Costa Rica
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 PM
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Here is the post by Scar0 on LOST where I learned about the air bag controller.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=66764

Maybe having it disconnected while the Jeep was in motion made it think the vehicle was in a rollover situation. Idk. Or there was a power surge when it was reconnected. Sorry to hear that it happened to you anyway.

Have your friend send down the seatbelt parts you need also, just in case you might need them for reasons other than a ticket.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Chereveco
2008 KK Liberty 

Garage
Yeap, I'm subscribed to that thread in LOST as well... Already did a small note to that one too...

Neil Cordoba de Jongh
Costa Rica
post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Chereveco
2008 KK Liberty 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Here is the post by Scar0 on LOST where I learned about the air bag controller.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=66764

Maybe having it disconnected while the Jeep was in motion made it think the vehicle was in a rollover situation. Idk. Or there was a power surge when it was reconnected. Sorry to hear that it happened to you anyway.

Have your friend send down the seatbelt parts you need also, just in case you might need them for reasons other than a ticket.
Yeap, I know what you mean... But

Cannot fly the Seat belt due to it's explosive nature...

Only by boat...

Regards,

Neil Cordoba de Jongh
Costa Rica
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The airbag warning light was trying to tell you something was not right. Bad connection, failing part or something. Then when you had things apart and moving stuff around there was a complete failure that set off the bags. That's a real bummer and a hard lesson to learn. Very fortunate it didn't deploy when driving. Wish you the best.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Chereveco
2008 KK Liberty 

Garage
Yeah, When I get the parts will scan the hole system to check what is what, and repair...

Neil Cordoba de Jongh
Costa Rica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.