Shudder...??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Shudder...???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Shudder...???

Hoping this isn't the tranny, but I'm thinking it is...

On a gradual acceleration when I get to 50mph and up to 60mph, my KK starts a shake, shudder, studder type of hesitation.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if hopefully it wasn't the tranny...

Thanks!

silver08kk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Do you know if the spark plugs have ever been changed? Is it throwing any codes? Bummer! I had an XJ that did that once, and it even pinged under load. The spark plugs were really shot. Replacing them eliminated the issue.
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

I wish that we're the case here. Plugs were changed about 2 months ago, and she isn't showing any codes at all. 😞
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Here's something to try: push the tow/haul button to lock out 4th gear, then accelerate to the same speed. Does it still shudder? I wonder if the shuddering is due to lugging (being in too tall a gear too soon)? If so, I seem to remember there was a TSB for that. Here is the list of TSB's, courtesy of Diggerfreek. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=56151 If all it is is a TSB, all it needs is a computer flash at the dealer.
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

You've got those huge tires on stock gearing right? I wouldn't doubt it if the transmission was a little upset with you
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

I haven't switched over from stock yet. Kinda glad too...because if it's the tranny, she's going down the road.
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Tried the tow/haul button trick. She was fine until I really wound it up to where she was trying to shift. Then the shutters.
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver08kk View Post
I haven't switched over from stock yet. Kinda glad too...because if it's the tranny, she's going down the road.
Switched over from stock what? Gears?

Why would you be glad about that? If the transmission goes its not going to effect the gears in your axles. If anything regearing will help the problem with your transmission because it won't be working as hard and it will be running in the proper RPM bands
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb
Switched over from stock what? Gears? Why would you be glad about that? If the transmission goes its not going to effect the gears in your axles. If anything regearing will help the problem with your transmission because it won't be working as hard and it will be running in the proper RPM bands
No, I was saying I haven't switched over from stock tire size yet. Don't have anything big on there yet.
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

And I meant going down the road as in I'm getting rid of it.
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid
Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?
Yeah, I'm very meticulous when it comes to keeping a vehicle serviced. So she's all up to date on everything.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #13
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Does it act any different if the engine is cold or fully warmed up.
Since yours is a 2008 I'm guessing the battery has been replaced by now? Not sure if that would cause this issue but it would good to rule out the battery and alternator.
Maybe there is something in the gas or along those lines. I don't want you to stress it more, but running full throttle a few times might further tell how serious the problem is.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

No difference from hot to cold. Replaced the battery in July, and had the alternator tested 2 days ago to rule it out.
I've had it wide open a couple times since this started and it hasn't seemed to change anything.
Once I go over 60 on a gradual acceleration or it hits high gear, it completely stops...as long as I don't slow down and them speed back up.
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver08kk View Post
No difference from hot to cold. Replaced the battery in July, and had the alternator tested 2 days ago to rule it out.
I've had it wide open a couple times since this started and it hasn't seemed to change anything.
Once I go over 60 on a gradual acceleration or it hits high gear, it completely stops...as long as I don't slow down and them speed back up.
Sounds like the torque converter. Without me actually being able to hear your vehicle, I'd say that's what it is.
I think you're just feeling the full lock of the overdrive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.