Should I get a Liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Should I get a Liberty?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
kinsale

Should I get a Liberty?

Hi all,

new member here. My wife really likes the looks of the Liberty. She is concerned about the gas mileage however her current suv is a pontiac torrent which only gets 15 mpg around town. If it is the same or even slightly better I think it would be ok for her.
i have a question though. I emailed 3 dealers in my area and none came back with more than 4k off sticker including the rebates. It seems none are desperate to sell one. Is it too early in the year to get more off?
Is there a lot of aftermarket parts for the liberty?
Anyway thanks for all your help!
Ian

kinsale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Porter_OC

Ian, I recently bought a 2008 Jeep liberty Limited. I had been looking for a New 2010 liberty but I also found that the dealerships were very unwilling to negotiate below MSRP, other than the rebates. This is why I chose to purchase Used. With the 2008, i found that the dealership was very willing to deal. The one i bought only had 12000 miles so it is still like new. I have found the it gets about 17 MPG.
Porter_OC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
geene519
2010 KK Liberty 

i got about 6k off of MSRP when i bought mine back in february.

i went from a 2008 to a 2010, mainly because i was starting to have a few annoying issues with it and that the warranty was going to run out this year.

If you were to get a used, stick with 09+, they redid the suspension and a few other tweaks, made the truck much better IMO.
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
lakespeedy
2014 JK Wrangler 

How MUCH better are you looking to get on MPG's? Here's the thing...do the math. The Liberty 4x4 is rated at 15/21. If you are looking at something that claims 19 city/25 highway (built on a car chassis with a 4 cylinder), you won't save you as much money as you think. Based on 1,000 miles/month at average MPG consumption, it's about $20-25 or 2.5 cents/mile. IMO, that's a small price to pay for something truly capable that will tow 5,000 lbs and support your lifestyle. The Rav4, CRV, Element, Escape, Compass, etc. aren't really any less expensive either.

I love my Liberty and I'm easily achieving the sticker MPG and actually doing a little better.
Unread 06-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Why would you care how much you get off MRSP? If you do that you are negotiating backwards. Go to Edmunds or Kelly BB sites and find out what the invoice price is.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
kinsale

I know what the invoice is. How does that help me know what I should pay? I know it's below invoice but by how much? Are you assuming invoice minus rebates? I could end up paying more than i should in that case. MSRP-6k is less than invoice-2.5k.
kinsale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
patrickkel1
2008 KK Liberty 

I bought a 2008 Liberty new. Initially it had a "chugging" problem that went away. GY tires wore out at 25K miles and have been replaced by BFG . I am getting 18mpg in short suburban commuting and 20-22mpg on the highway. Going up to the Sierras, 20 or 21 mpg, with the vehicle loaded with gear. I am a careful but not slow driver. I wish it got better mileage, but I don't know of ANY vehicle that is built as strong as the Liberty that does better. I have gone places with my Liberty that I would never have visited with any other vehicle. I would buy one again.
patrickkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsale View Post
I know what the invoice is. How does that help me know what I should pay? I know it's below invoice but by how much? Are you assuming invoice minus rebates? I could end up paying more than i should in that case. MSRP-6k is less than invoice-2.5k.
You need to start at invoice because you want to negotiate below invoice.
Getting $ off MSRP is useless because you could still be above invoice, therefore invoice should be your starting point. No one cares how much you get off MSRP, including the dealer.
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
CDigs

Yea I loved the look of the Liberty in the outside as well! The sky slider is what got me to buy the Liberty. Although I have had no mechanical problems w my 08 liberty limited I have had minor computer issues and MAJOR issues w the sky slider! Liberty is great otherwise -get one w a sunroof but it's too expensive of a risk to take by getting the sky slider -you could be one of the many unlucky ones and have problems with it -you will end up stuck with a vehicle you can't trade or sell!
CDigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickkel1 View Post
I bought a 2008 Liberty new. Initially it had a "chugging" problem that went away.
Mine still "chugg" but not as bad as when new.
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We had an '08 for two years and traded up to a Commander for the 3rd row of seating.
Fuel Economy was better than our minivan we had prior - high teens mixed driving, low 20's at 75 on the hwy.

We did have slider issues that we eventually dealt with - this was a four trip TSB learning experience for Chrysler and us, but the last 8 months we had zero issues.

The suspension is very springy on our gravel road when pot holes and ruts become bad causing some handling concerns where the vehicle would bounce and jump to the side if you were not paying attention. This was addressed in the '09 suspension do-over.

It is a heavy vehicle for the 3.7L, and did not have neck snapping power, but was adequate for my wife's driving style.

Other than the slider, we had one relay/sensor go that blanked out the dash, made the wipers go crazy and prevent you from shifting into gear, but I flipped up the little door on the console to override the lock out and drove it to the dealership. We also had the transmission flashed to eliminate torque shudder between 1-2 while accelerating slow and backing up steep hills. Both of these issues were warranty claims during our initial year of ownership.

The model we had had the 'select-trac' Tcase - the set it and forget it 4wd system - this was ideal for my wife as she just wanted to pull up on the 4wd lever and drive with out considering wheel hop and axle binding that you will see if you run the command-trac style tcase on dry pavement.

I feel that the Liberty will be a nice upgrade for your wife over the Pontiac Torrent, and she should like quiet interior, clean layout, and safety of a strong sturdy vehicle.
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
patrickkel1
2008 KK Liberty 

2008 Liberty

I am happy with the 2008 Liberty, bought new. On all roads, the Liberty's ride & handling beats a Toyota RAV4 or Nissan Xterra or Chev.Equinox which I considered. My previous 4x4 SUV was a Chev.Trailblazer. The Liberty is bouncier, but more sure-footed(strange) on rough roads The Liberty is equally smooth on the highway as the Trailblazer. BFG Long Trail tires make it quieter. Fuel consumption 17-18 city 20-22 HWY in Northern California, SF Bay Area. (Go Giants!)
Patrick
patrickkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Great!!! you have to do the routine maintenance and it will bring years of joy
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
otlip

Absolutlely

I bought an 08 last June and really enjoy it. I also still have my Volvo which gives me best of both worlds.
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.