Semi-metallic vs Ceramic Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Semi-metallic vs Ceramic Brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Semi-metallic vs Ceramic Brakes

I went to the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation and to check a recall on the radio. They had done a complete vehicle inspection and told me that my front brake pads and rotors needed replacement and the rear as well. I have only 42K on the Lib and figure with the amount of traffic I drive through sometimes they may need it. The funny part is the front alone brakes alone will cost me $563.00. I will bringing her to my trusted mechanic and have him go over what the dealership accessed.

Question anyone use ceramic brakes in their Lib? I heard they last longer, leave less dust and have more stopping power?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

That is a great debate...........

Semi metalic's are better for braking if you tow,offroad,drive in mud,water,and cold temps as they will grab better cold and are make much less noise.Ceramics require some heat to work good,lack luster performance when cold and generally tend to destroy rotors.Not recommended if you tow or wheel and can be very noisy which is normal for ceramics,more so for high end ceramic pads.

A good set of semi metalics will be as dust free as ceramics.Organic pads are what makes alot of dust and are known to "outgas".
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That is a great debate...........

Semi metalic's are better for braking if you tow,offroad,drive in mud,water,and cold temps as they will grab better cold and are make much less noise.Ceramics require some heat to work good,lack luster performance when cold and generally tend to destroy rotors.Not recommended if you tow or wheel and can be very noisy which is normal for ceramics,more so for high end ceramic pads.

A good set of semi metalics will be as dust free as ceramics.Organic pads are what makes alot of dust and are known to "outgas".
Thanks Tjkj. So a really good of semi metallics are the way to go. Any brand sticks out such as Bendix, Raybestos, Akebono?
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Thanks Tjkj. So a really good of semi metallics are the way to go. Any brand sticks out such as Bendix, Raybestos, Akebono?
Napa's premium line are good,can't say about other brands.A good balance between both ceramic and semi metallic is Napa's Adaptive One pads.Don't be cheap on teh rotors either,again Napa's premium line or Centric premiums are very good and not all that expensive.
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Do yourself a favor and cough up the extra money for drilled/slotted rotors. They will be worth every penny in the end and will last alot longer then oem rotors.

EBC is a great brand.. Had them on my old lancer and they lasted 70,000kms and were still good when I sold the car.

My lib will be getting these when its time for new brakes.

Oh and they look great to
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You can have your drilled and slotted rotors
Just buy good pads like Adaptive Ones and the best rotors from NAPA
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

I've heard good things about NAPA rotors but I wouldn't say they are superior to a good set of drilled/slotted ones.
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSOUSA View Post
Do yourself a favor and cough up the extra money for drilled/slotted rotors. They will be worth every penny in the end and will last alot longer then oem rotors.

EBC is a great brand.. Had them on my old lancer and they lasted 70,000kms and were still good when I sold the car.

My lib will be getting these when its time for new brakes.

Oh and they look great to
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSOUSA View Post
I've heard good things about NAPA rotors but I wouldn't say they are superior to a good set of drilled/slotted ones.
Do you even know why drilled/slotted rotors are even around? Bet not.

back in the day the brake pads would "outgas" and create a air pocket between the pads and rotor making it act like you had no brakes under extreme use like racing.This is were drilled rotors came into play,gave that "outgassing" a place to go and still maintain good brakes.They also drilled rotors for drag racing to reduce weight.Drilled rotors on daily driven vehicles is a bad idea due to less metal equals less ability to disapate heat and with modern pads you do not get "outgassing" issues any more.They are around due to "they look cool" but actually serve no benifit to braking,actually can make braking worse(does in most cases).

Slotted rotors can be a good thing but again unless your racing there is no need for them.

Look at the big name racing leagues like NASCAR and INDY,they do not use drilled rotors but may use slotted depending on the track but in almost all cases they use solid blanks(no slots and no drilled holes).

Oh and EBC has gone downhill alot lately,tried there pads,didn't last 4 weeks.I now run Black Magic front brakes.You want good brakes those are it but I don't know if they make any for the KK,they do for the KJ.
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Good information so Napa premium pads and / or Centric Rotors -

Thanks - I do a lot of city driving and highway, which is often overcrowded which is stop and go.
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I was just on the WK side talking with an XK guy about Centric premium rotors and Akebono pads from RockAuto. He says he's had great results with this combo. Don't know if the application is available for the KKs but you might give it a look.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks JeepN4KC! I was looking at Rock Auto site at that exact stuff. However, if Napa has some good stuff there - it can be a win win for me, my mechanic also a very close friend of the family has an direct account with Napa with his Shop.

So I'll ask his opinion too about it. It's either cool or a piece of %)$# !
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Do you even know why drilled/slotted rotors are even around? Bet not.

back in the day the brake pads would "outgas" and create a air pocket between the pads and rotor making it act like you had no brakes under extreme use like racing.This is were drilled rotors came into play,gave that "outgassing" a place to go and still maintain good brakes.They also drilled rotors for drag racing to reduce weight.Drilled rotors on daily driven vehicles is a bad idea due to less metal equals less ability to disapate heat and with modern pads you do not get "outgassing" issues any more.They are around due to "they look cool" but actually serve no benifit to braking,actually can make braking worse(does in most cases).

Slotted rotors can be a good thing but again unless your racing there is no need for them.

Look at the big name racing leagues like NASCAR and INDY,they do not use drilled rotors but may use slotted depending on the track but in almost all cases they use solid blanks(no slots and no drilled holes).

Oh and EBC has gone downhill alot lately,tried there pads,didn't last 4 weeks.I now run Black Magic front brakes.You want good brakes those are it but I don't know if they make any for the KK,they do for the KJ.
Thank you!! I was just going to post basically this same thing when I saw the previous post. Lol. I come from a road racing/auto crossing/drag racing background and everyone runs Brembo blanks, because we know that all the stopping power comes from a GOOD set of pads, NOT the drilled/slotted Fast & Furious marketed rotors.

"Hey, cut some surface area of my rotors away and I'll stop better!"
TurboGoKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
teckn9ne
2010 KK Liberty 

Here are the part numbers for the KK Akebono ACT1273 ProACT/Akebono ACT1274 ProACT Centric Parts 120.63070 Premium Brake Rotor/Centric Parts 120.63071 Premium Brake Rotor.
Silverstar Headlights,Mopar Hitch,Mopar Tow Hook,Mopar Skids,Mopar Locking Lugs,Mopar Remote Start,Factory Sirius Radio,WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats,JCROffroad Stage 3 Sliders,Hankook DynaPro RF10 LT225/75/16,Diehard Platinum P1,JBA 5.5 UCA,OME HD,
teckn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.