Selec Trac II - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Selec Trac II

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
grsmnky

Selec Trac II

Hi everyone. Jeep newbie here. Looking forward to getting my first Jeep soon! I am getting a 2012 Liberty. I was disappointed that it seems impossible to find one equipped with Selec Trac. Boy have I searched. Not sure why this option would be so rare. Does anyone here know why? I think it would be useful during the winter when the roads get sloppy. I will be putting winter tires on it, so hopefully I won't need to use 4wd too often on the road.

grsmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
ArcticDude88
2012 KK Liberty 

I agree thats it is very strange how hard it is to find one with select a track and im from New York. I use my four wheel drive when theres a blizzard or im offroading. The rain, light snow and slush is perfectly fine for 2wd in these trucks. Its nice to have the security of a full time four wheel drive, but IMO command track is perfectly fine.
ArcticDude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I searched a long time to locate my KK with the Select Trac option. I think that many dealers didn't order the STII option due to price of the option and knowledge of how to sell it. Many people simply don't understand how it Select trac system works, of course many owners have no idea how to use the part time 4wd system that they have on their vehicle anyway. And then many understand the select trac to be a AWD system, but has no idea as to what it does.
I liked having a system that could be placed in 4x4 and have no worries about axle wrap, binding or shelling itself. See, I understand that at some point my wife or daughter may need to use the KK in poor weather, with this system all I havet to do is tell them where to move the switch and I have no worries. If traction is poor at one tire, the KK will transfer power to the tire with traction. It to me is simiple peace of mind, well worth the hunt and the price to find.
There are a few great videos on the internet that show how it works. Keep hunting, you'll find one, I drove from Dallas to OKC, OK to purchase mine.
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Love my Selec-Trac!
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

KEEP looking! I'll never settle for Command Trac when Selec Trac is available. I've had both systems and though in theory you'll be just fine with 2wd when conditions aren't quite bad enough for Part-Time 4wd (Command Trac,) I'd rather stick with my experience.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I am pretty happy with Command track, what I wish I had was a limited slip in the rear and traction control that you can truly shut off.
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
grsmnky

Wow. Seems as though KK's with Selec Trac are as rare as unicorns. I have located 2 KK Renegades for sale. One has more miles on it than I'd like. I was really hoping to find a KK Limited with Selec Trac, but no luck. I have found a few KJ Limited for sale with low miles. I may go with one of those. Trying to be patient with the search but I'm getting frustrated.
grsmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
AtTheHelm

If your anywhere near visalia ca my father in law's old 2010 silver and black renegade is most likely still there with select trac and ~15k miles
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
AtTheHelm

Nevermind just checked not there anymore
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
My2Sense

I searched hi and lo for a black Renegade that had under 20k miles. Finally found one (1100 miles away) that had almost everything I wanted (leather, sunroof and OEM tow package).

Athough the online sales ad stated Command-Trac, during the drive home, I noticed it did indeed have Select-Trac.

All I need now is to find a NAV unit but dang those are pricey.
My2Sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
I searched hi and lo for a black Renegade that had under 20k miles. Finally found one (1100 miles away) that had almost everything I wanted (leather, sunroof and OEM tow package).

Athough the online sales ad stated Command-Trac, during the drive home, I noticed it did indeed have Select-Trac.

All I need now is to find a NAV unit but dang those are pricey.
Whatever you do, don't dish out money to the dealer for a sh*tty, yes a SH*TTY indash unit.

Check out the new alpines, a friend of mine has one and its honestly outstanding.. the gps, the sound eq.. everything. They are expensive, but worth every penny imo.
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
KEEP looking! I'll never settle for Command Trac when Selec Trac is available. I've had both systems and though in theory you'll be just fine with 2wd when conditions aren't quite bad enough for Part-Time 4wd (Command Trac,) I'd rather stick with my experience.
I'd never settle for a AWD t-case,then again I'd never settle for any 4wd without a t-case shifter and not some little switch and hope it works.
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
My2Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I'd never settle for a AWD t-case,then again I'd never settle for any 4wd without a t-case shifter and not some little switch and hope it works.
Well, that sorta limits one's opportunities if looking at KKs, no?
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
My2Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSOUSA View Post
Whatever you do, don't dish out money to the dealer for a sh*tty, yes a SH*TTY indash unit.

Check out the new alpines, a friend of mine has one and its honestly outstanding.. the gps, the sound eq.. everything. They are expensive, but worth every penny imo.
Thanks, and that's troublesome to hear. The RB1 in my old KJ was awesome! I really loved the lane guidance feature; in an unfamiliar, high-traffic, urban environment it was better than any onboard (human) navigator imaginable.
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Well, that sorta limits one's opportunities if looking at KKs, no?
That's easily fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.